You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Led Zeppelin and Metallica rumored to do US Festival

James wrote:

Led Zeppelin will play its first U.S. show since July 24, 1977, this June at the Bonnaroo festival in Manchester, Tenn., according to an email published in industry commentator Bob Lefsetz's newsletter. The report also says Metallica will headline the event.

Speculation about additional shows for Zeppelin, which will play a stated one-off Dec. 10 in London in tribute to late Atlantic founder Ahmet Ertegun, has been buzzing for weeks.

A Bonnaroo spokesperson had no comment on the email. A Led Zeppelin spokesperson could not be reached at deadline.

Summer Zeppelin shows would reportedly conflict with a tour by frontman Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, which is presently being booked. However, Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones has played at Bonnaroo on several occasions, most recently this summer when he jammed on his old band's songs with Ben Harper and the Roots' ?uestlove.

As for Metallica, Bonnaroo would likely provide a launching pad for the group's next album, expected sometime in 2008 via Elektra.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Metallica have already shot down this rumor, but that doesn't mean shit. They might just be waiting for Zep to make the announcement themselves.

This could wind up being massive. For both bands.

nugdafied wrote:

Wow, I've always wanted to make a trip out of the festival. This might have to be the year!

that wuld be one hell of a show

James

James wrote:

This also makes me wonder if Ian Astbury running his mouth at some show bragging about opening for Zep on a US tour killed their chances at actually doing so. Also, maybe Zep realized that The Cult are a small act now and they want a "big dog" opening their shows.

If they pull a Stones maneuver in 08, we could see scenarios where the big bands like Metallica, U2, and even GNR are opening for them at different venues.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Isn't Bonnaroo usually a hippie/jam band kinda festival? 

Led Zepplin kinda doesn't quite fit the bill, and Metallica definitely doesn't. 

Maybe I'm thinking of a different festival though.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I'm surprised Metallica are being tipped as headliners, surely it would be Led Zep headlining?

James

James wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I'm surprised Metallica are being tipped as headliners, surely it would be Led Zep headlining?

Zep would definitely be the main headlining act on the bill, but saying Metallica is a headliner just means they will get a full set. No way in hell do they go on after Zep.

Isn't Bonnaroo usually a hippie/jam band kinda festival?

Led Zepplin kinda doesn't quite fit the bill, and Metallica definitely doesn't.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different festival though.

I've never even heard of this festival before.

Buckethead usually shows up at Bonaroo

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Evidently Tool and The Police played it this year, so It's not as much as a hippie fest as I thought it was. 

Still pretty jam band filled though, which is probably why I thought that.  The line up was actually really varied. 

http://www.bonnaroo.com/2007-lineup

By the way, that's the line-up from this past June, not the one they're talking about here

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

One of Bucket's best performance ever was at Bonnarroo with Praxis in 2004. It's a CD now. Mind-blowing, jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring.

Board footer