You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: What Next??

James wrote:

This is obviously just a speculation thread, so lets approach it is that...

If the latest Weiland clusterfuck(and the band's recent problems as well) bring an end to VR, what should these guys do next?? Amicably split with Weiland and find another singer? Who owns the name Velvet Revolver by the way? Anyone think a band with Slash, Duff, Matt, and Dave have any gas left in the tank with a new singer? Should they start over with a new name? Drop Dave and just have the GNR guys do some project?

I think the likely scenario is Slash going solo(obviously) and Duff and Matt doing their own thing. Dont know or even care about Dave. Weiland cleans up and he can go solo or fall back on STP.

Its a really strange and tense period for this band and anything could happen at this point. However, a majority of people do think this is the end, which is why I figured I would start this thread.

Can VR have a future without Weiland?

Discuss.....

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think so, and one could argue they don't have one with him either.

I think Slash should do his Santana album.  If VR didn't work long term, I can't see a band with Slash, Duff, Dave, Matt, and ANYBODY doing well unless Axl was the singer, and that isn't happening.  I think it would be in everybody's best interests to start over on their own.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think so, and one could argue they don't have one with him either.

I think Slash should do his Santana album.  If VR didn't work long term, I can't see a band with Slash, Duff, Dave, Matt, and ANYBODY doing well unless Axl was the singer, and that isn't happening.  I think it would be in everybody's best interests to start over on their own.

Agreed. If VR's over, then they should go solo, and Slash's aim cannot be anything else than a Santana type album. A few years later Slash and Duff could reunite, maybe with Izzy and do an album and a tour.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'm a pretty big VR supporter but even I gotta say it's over. The problem they run into is I think they have a 3 disc contract. I don't think they have enough material for GH or Live, unless they add in Messeges, & a few 1 or 2 of their unreleased covers.

Anyway, I think Weiland would accept being out, and is jonesing to go back to STP. That would be big. I think he'd allow the band to carry on with the VR name, only I'm not sure who they could bring in now either. To go from Axl, to Scott to someone else is now 3 steps down, unless the singer is a really big name and a really good fit. Maybe they could just release a 3rd album with multiple singers, similar to Santana. Regardless, I don't think it will do very much. But yeah, stick a fork in VR, they're done.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'd love to see VR continue on without Scott. But to be honest I don't think its at all likely given the amount of shit they had trying to find a singer last time. I think they were basicly out of singer ideas - like who to try out next. Slash seems keen in his book about the 'Slash and Friends' album - so i'd expect that to happen next.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

VR is over, and it was a failure from the start. Weiland wasn't the right guy. I've never been a big fan of  his, and he did nothing to change my mind. Actually, I dislike him even more now because of his involvement with 2 of the biggest musical letdowns I've ever set my ears on. Damn Yankees was a better supergroup.

I saw they should all go solo and try not to count on duplicating any past success they've had. It ain't gonna happen.

AtariLegend wrote:

I disagree with everyone, I'm a Weiland fan...

The vocals weren't the letdown for me, the music and the lyrics were.

The only thing positive if VR did go their separate ways is the solo albums Duff & Weiland could come out with.

I have no interest in a Slash solo album, he isn't the kind of guitarist that can carry a band anymore and he isn't a good song writer either.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I don't think it's possible for VR to go on with a new singer, I think solo projects are the only option left for the remaining guys.

I always liked Weiland's voice particularly in STP and some of the more ballad style tracks of VR, but I could never stand looking at the guy while he was signing.

nugdafied wrote:

While VR's future definitely seems to be in question right now, these guys are certainly capable of buckling down & cutting another great album. If the band does fizzle out, at the least, I'd like to get a live album that shows them at their best. As for Slash, he's pretty huge again & it'd be great if he could drop a guest star solo album. I'm sure all the big and/or interesting names would be down with a Slash collaboration.

Board footer