You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Epiphany

DCK wrote:

There's no chemistry. It's no different than baseball. You don't have to be the Yankees, you just have to be the right group of guys. This is a bastardized version of even the new band.

Might be right, but I have a problem defining "chemistry" in a rock band. What qualifies as "chemistry" if you actually let go of your own "lifeworld" and past expectations you have of a unit?

Is it what you feel is "chemistry" or is it something a person may judge without bringing his own emotions and prejudice into it?

On the Ritz tape I see more of a gang than a band playing music, and they dig it because they're new at the start of their fame, liking every second of it. Like a kid who just got a new video game. The playing is far below par.

On the Japan tape I see a big stage with what to me just appears to be single individuals that just happens to play the same song with one very angry front man. Lowpoint of my GNR entertainment value.

In recent years I basically see the same thing, with a less angry front man and a more wise-cracking front man with other individuals around him, but they play better, and there's always the "what next" feel to it. What comes down the road? I like that.

Kurt Loder obviously saw something else than me at RIR3 in 2001, because I saw an unpolished rock playing sloppy. He saw the second coming.

If there's anything that you can underline as why this band is underperforming (if you feel that way), its their massive lack of communication skills ever since 1999. I can't point that it out enough.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

The bands not well recieved because of the clumsy, ham fisted, uninterested way they have sold themselves. Theres been zero marketing of this band, zero efforts to properly introduce band members to the public, and so on and so on... ZzZzZzZz - I cant go on, its been said a million times 17

Quite clearly.  I think regardless of how things were handled there would've been a fair amount of people who never would've given any new lineup a fair shake, with Axl as the only original member.  Of course, they've done themselves ZERO favors with what's transpired and how they've handled things the last decade.  There's really no reason to jump on the bandwagon at this point.  The only ones left are us hardcores who are used to the ridiculousness, and even some of us are throwing in the towel with each passing day.

I used to think they could turn things around, but I just don't know if that's true anymore.  And I'm not even sure if they want to.  And by THEY, I mean Axl.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

They could have won people over eventually though if they weren't burning bridges with the fans seemingly every month. I admit that I didn't give them a chance right away. When I eventually did, I was horrified by what I heard at the VMAs and other shows from that era. They sucked at the stuff people wanted to hear and very few were interested in the new stuff.

2006 rolls around and they finally had a chance. They didn't look like clowns and played the old material better. To me, THAT was there one real chance and they blew it. I loved the demos of TWAT and Better as much as my heart didn't want to. Instead of capitalizing, things got more screwed up and everything went downhill from there with nobody trying to slow it down much less stop it. The CD versions of most of the songs were worse than the demos. BB exclusive. More replacements. Almost nothing has gone right since the Hammerstein shows.

I never thought this band could be successful. I feared in 2006 that the resurgence might tarnish the old band's legacy. Now I know I never have to worry about that.  There's nothing that can save this sinking ship right now other than a reunion. Since that is unlikely, it's more sad than anything else. Everybody loses.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I don't think Euphoria Morning sounds like punk or industrial.

^What an album!

But The Vandals a Perfect Circle and NIN is where he's best known so I stuck him with that tag

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Olorin wrote:

The bands not well recieved because of the clumsy, ham fisted, uninterested way they have sold themselves. Theres been zero marketing of this band, zero efforts to properly introduce band members to the public, and so on and so on... ZzZzZzZz - I cant go on, its been said a million times 17

It's this simple. The rest is like worrying about the roof before you've even laid the foundation.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

^^ Yeah that and the fact that in a World with The Flaming Lips, NIN, and Soundgarden who needs Gnr

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Oh, just imagine if they'd come out of their corner swinging in 2002. If Axl had got himself into condition, hired a vocal coach and gone out there looking like he did in 2006. If they'd slammed into the VMAs with a one-two punch of Better and There Was A Time, instead of fucking around with old songs, and then released them as a double A-side a week later, with videos in rotation on MTV.

They would've conquered the world again. sad

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

If they'd slammed into the VMAs with a one-two punch of Better and There Was A Time, instead of fucking around with old songs, and then released them as a double A-side a week later, with videos in rotation on MTV.

Yeah, why didn't they? Though I'm sure there would have been plenty of people bashing them for it. The nerve of coming on VMA with the name GNR and play some songs not one soul had ever heard before. In fact, I doubt MTV even would have said "yes" to it.

They would've conquered the world again.

Seriously don't think so. Been on a better approach all togheter? Sure. Major-super-big-band? Never. Not even if they topped AFD would it have happened.

(did this last negative comment make me be more like bono?)

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

DCK wrote:

If they'd slammed into the VMAs with a one-two punch of Better and There Was A Time, instead of fucking around with old songs, and then released them as a double A-side a week later, with videos in rotation on MTV.

Yeah, why didn't they? Though I'm sure there would have been plenty of people bashing them for it. The nerve of coming on VMA with the name GNR and play some songs not one soul had ever heard before. In fact, I doubt MTV even would have said "yes" to it.

They would've conquered the world again.

Seriously don't think so. Been on a better approach all togheter? Sure. Major-super-big-band? Never. Not even if they topped AFD would it have happened.

(did this last negative comment make me be more like bono?)

Just rewatched the 2002 VMAs; whatshisface who does the intro is amped up, going on about how MTV had been asking GN'R to appear for the last four years. Axl could've come out and played whatever the hell he liked; people were excited for the potential of the new band then. Yeah, there were people who were saying, "Blah, isn't Slash," but if Axl had delivered a killer performance, with Buckethead doing the TWAT solo, the haters would've been well and truly silenced. I still think that the 2002 VMAs did untold damage to New GN'R.

At least opening with Better would've meant that Axl wouldn't have been out of breath; I'm pretty sure it was the Jungle scream that left him winded...

Board footer