You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Epiphany

DCK wrote:

It says more about their taste in music than it does about the quality of the band

Jesus....

Buzzsaw is completely correct, with all due respect to the European posters here.

And you decides that?

No offense, but we'd rather have GNR with Axl in some state or the other compared to what some of you people want: No GNR, Axl in hiding and a wet dream of a reunion that will never happen. Jolly good time of nothing.

If he's not planning a reunion - and it's pretty clear he isn't - and if he's not planning on releasing new music - and it's pretty clear he isn't - he may as well call it a day.  What he's doing now isn't cutting it.

Yeah, that's gonna be a lot of fun. I can't wait for the massive entertainment value in that.

this board literally lives in a fantasy world.....8 years after this alleged collapse, they are headlining one of the biggest festivals in the world and are scheduled to play a pretty big arena Euro tour....just like 2002. Evidently, the crap in between 2002 and 2010 hasn't deterred promoters from booking them for the SAME events and venues. Yet, some of you make it out like they can only play a 150 seat club in some burned out euro trash bar. What planet do you guys live on? Axl is an ass and in essence, a terrible businessman. But, DESPITE THAT, people still throw money at him.....just like they did in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, etc.

Don't think I've ever agreed more with you before.

When a man had everything in the world, threw it all away, and HAS to tour outside the US with a bunch of subs because he can't sell anybody on his new music, it's time to call it a day.

Even if I did agreed with you, it's such a stupid thing to say. Axl and GNR entertains thousands of people around the world with the songs they do, regardless of a hardcore fan-dream of Catcher in the rye every night. Even if I was on your side, I would never say such a thing. It's just that stupid. Really. It's pretty offensive to all those who goes out and looks forward to seeing a rock show, wanting to have a good time. Your idea of a good GNR time is nothing. No Axl, no GNR in any form, no music.

Your opinion is that he should call it a day, as in going back to the days of nothing, being holed up in his house. I mean, what the fuck?! I remember those days, and it was so dull and so lame. If you liked it, I have to ask what the hell you liked with it so much that you want it back? Was it the no music part? The silence? The last picture of Axl dating back 6 years? Clearly it must have been something you liked with it. I'm dying to know.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't see a lot of people from the US disagreeing with me.  It is what it is.  The only time there is any interest in GnR in the US is when he does something stupid.

That's the chicken and the egg though. You say there is no activity in the USA because there is no interest, but perhaps there is no interest because there is no activity? I mean how excited would we expect your media to become about tours on the opposite side of the world. Of course they only run stories on it when something odd happens, otherwise it's of no revelance.

For example, I'm pretty sure somewhere in the globe U2 played a show last night, and somewhere Ac/Dc probably did as well. There is no coverage of these events on my local australian news. There will be coverage when u2 or ac/dc tour here - or there will be coverage if something happens - like bono gets hurt, or one of them tops some kind of record for $ made, or if there was a riot or whatever.

All i'm saying is there's presently no reason for the USA media to be excited about GNR, so they arn't.

I think you and I would agree that most people would prefer the original line up. What I don't see a basis for is the idea that the USA would reject the modern line up to any greater extent than other western nations do.

That is, as with here, a number of people will boycot because they love the old band, a number of people love the new band for who they are, and a number of people would prefer the old band but go anyway and make the best of it.

Why would those numbers be greater in the USA than in Australia or Europe?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
supaplex wrote:

so, they play all over the world, not only europe, and people still pay to see the show, yet only the us knows what's good music. as i said, funny shit 16 i wonder what's in the top 10 now in the us?

Billboard top 10- rock albums (...Be prepared for the amazing taste in music wink )

1. The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
2. Order Of The Black - Black Label Society
3. Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold
4. Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
5. Miles From Memphis - Sheryl Crow
6. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - Soundtrack
7. Save Me, San Francisco - Train
8. To The Sea - Jack Johnson
9. All Night Long - Buckcherry
10. Brothers - The Black Keys

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Only thing I could find for Europe was this

http://www.mtv.tv/news/hitlist-rockchart/

I dare say that's a bit better than that US Chart.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

top 10 songs from billboard
The Catalyst - Linkin Park
Another Way To Die - Disturbed
Lay Me Down - The Dirty Heads Featuring Rome
The Crow And The Butterfly - Shinedown
Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold
Savior - Rise Against
Lisztomania - Phoenix
Bad Company - Five Finger Death Punch
In One Ear - Cage The Elephant
Animal - Neon Trees

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't see GnR on any of those lists either.  Interesting (not really).  I seem to remember an amazing free fall for CD not too long ago when fans were touting those lists as the best for the couple weeks GnR was on them, then suddenly the charts didn't mean anything.  Now they mean something again?  Really?

There was no excitement when they were touring the US last time.  Remember?  They cancelled the rest of the tour.  In fact, the new band has cancelled the end of every US tour, haven't they?  How soon we forget...

You won't find me defending the charts - I think most modern rock sucks, but some of you want to use the charts when it works for you and ignore them any other time.  I'm just saying there's no interest in a US band in the US, and that's a bad thing.  I find it hard to believe that anybody could disagree with that fact.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Both those charts suck equally. It'd be like arguing in 1985 which is better:New Coke or Pepsi?

It's the same thing just in a different colored can.

Buzz does make a good point on how GNR fans always cherry pick when charts get to mean something.

GNR fan a week before CD release: CD is guaranteed to go number one!!!

Same fan one week later: Charts mean nothing.

GNR fan a week before CD release: CD's sales are gonna destroy Contraband!! VR suck!!!!!

Same GNR fan one week later: Sales don't mean anything.

GNR fan one week before CD release: The new single is gaining MASSIVE steam on the radio! We got a chart topper on our hands!!!

same GNR fan a week later: No one listens to radio anymore so it doesn't matter if DJs play it or not.

I'm not even slagging those who said it. I just think it's funny.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't see GnR on any of those lists either.  Interesting (not really).  I seem to remember an amazing free fall for CD not too long ago when fans were touting those lists as the best for the couple weeks GnR was on them, then suddenly the charts didn't mean anything.  Now they mean something again?  Really?

There was no excitement when they were touring the US last time.  Remember?  They cancelled the rest of the tour.  In fact, the new band has cancelled the end of every US tour, haven't they?  How soon we forget...

You won't find me defending the charts - I think most modern rock sucks, but some of you want to use the charts when it works for you and ignore them any other time.  I'm just saying there's no interest in a US band in the US, and that's a bad thing.  I find it hard to believe that anybody could disagree with that fact.

I thought the reason there's some interest in Europe has been covered.

Exposure to the band is limited. UK only gets a handful of shows. With so few shows they sell better because well there are less shows. Reason the last US tour went badly is because of oversaturation, they were playing too many gigs. Same in Canada as well this year, did they really need that many shows?

The band treats Europe as an afterthought booking only a few shows in each individual country. People see this as one of the few chances to see the band so they go. However when it comes to a US Tour they book 20+ gigs. 10 would suffice, less probably.

If GN'R did a small tour of the USA, say 10 shows max. In major areas across the country with an album out this time. Doing same ammount of PR as they are just now, they could do alright I think.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Like I said before, there is non great amount of interest in ANY band of the GNR era. The world has moved on.

Board footer