You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

smoke wrote:

I still listen to it regularly, but I still vastly prefer the antiquiet leaks. The only thing missing from them for me is Sorry.  I don't like the added drums in Chinese Democracy, nor the change in the vox.  I still think of it as The Blues, and I think overall, the leaks are much more dynamic and powerful.  They get me pumped up every time I listen, and they're great to sit and drink to.  I even think Prostitute sounds better on the leaks, but I haven't pinned down why.

Also, I'm pissed that Axl would cut such a perfect line "like if your ass was you head you could tell".  My god, that line alone built a bridge between old and new GnR.

Lastly, before anyone thinks I'm too negative, I still listen to all the versions. If my iPod isn't on shuffle, that means I'm deciding which version of CD to listen to.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I haven't listened to any of the leaks since the official album was released.  I don't get how so many people prefer the leaks SO MUCH.  Again, I haven't listened to them in years so maybe I'm missing something.  To me though, there wasn't a vast enough difference to prefer the leaks.  To each their own though.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I occasionally listen to the album but I really can't get into it anymore. I've just gotten bored of it, that's all.

EDIT: I do this with most albums, I haven't listened to AFD or UYI for a long time either and I haven't listened to lots of other great albums in a while.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Album rank:

AFD
CD
UYI II
UYI I
Lies
TSI

Same for me, but I'd put UYI I before II. And TSI above Lies. Man, there's some good stuff on TSI? I just wish they would have done more with it.

Exacly the same for me. AFD, CD, I and then II, Lies, TSI

Sky Dog wrote:

1. Chinese Democracy
2. If The World
3. There Was A Time
4. Catcher In The Rye
5. Scraped
6. Riad N' The Bedouins
7. Sorry
8. I.R.S.
9. This I Love
10. Prostitute

This is pretty much how I play the album now. Never liked Shackler's and still don't. Totally burned out on Better, SOD, and Madagascar. Although I love the ideas and lyrics behind Maddy, I am just not fond of the recorded version so I skip it. Every now and then I do listen to the RIO 2001 version while sitting at my computer.

Sky Dog wrote:

my ranking of the albums...
AFD
UYI II
CD
UYI I
Lies
SI

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

my ranking of the albums...

CD
UYI I

We've got some blasphemy going on in this thread. 16

I don't listen to it anymore but like you, I do have a condensed version I made after it was released. It has fewer songs than yours though.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
russtcb wrote:
faldor wrote:

Just a quick note related to this topic.  Listening to The Eddie Trunk show from last night on Sirius and a caller called in and asked him which he liked better, "Slash" or "Chinese Democracy".  He said that for him, "Slash" was a better record because it was more straight ahead rock and that CD had a lot going on in it.  He did say that the record has grown on him and there a lot of thing on it that he now really likes and that maybe down the line it'll be viewed as a masterpiece.  He went on to say that AFD was his favorite GNR album and that he wasn't even a huge fan of the UYI's because even they were getting too bloated for him.

Just made me think when people say CD doesn't sound like a Guns N' Roses record to them.  To me it sounds EXACTLY what a Guns N' Roses record was going to sound like.  It was quite a progression from AFD to UYI, so the continued progression was only natural.

This.

I feel the same way. I placed CD just slightly ahead of AFD for that reason. It truly seems to me to be the natural progression of things.

As Ron has pointed out, it's like you're skipping from, say, Meet the Beatles to The White Album without hearing the intervening years of musical development; all that stuff is locked down in Axl's vaults. It's a crying shame that we'll never get to hear that material; I'd love to hear the sessions that gave us the so-called 1999 versions of TWAT and IRS...

Please... AFD is like Meet The Beatles, and CD is like The White Album? I'm sorry, but for me it's like skipping from Sticky Fingers to Steel Wheels.

Stop the 'CD is progressive' nonsense. It is not. Just different. Very different, cause other people had to write the music for Axl and nobody told him not to use stupid '80s synth effects. Dream Theater is (was) progressive. AFD GN'R is debatable, but CD was not progressive at all. Not a second of it. It was dated before it got released, not to mention the uninspired songwriting. OMG 18

Board footer