You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

Olorin wrote:

Hmmm... I listened to AFD for the first time in fuckin ages today and found it a bit dated, it was the drums more than anything. Listened to Lies and it was a bit fresher, then it was UYI 1 and the songs sounded fantastic. It pisses me off that the media piss on the Illusions cause to me thats GNR at the peak of their powers, the musicianship and vocals are exceptional. The drums might be a bit bland, but Matt had just walked in the door but he still did a decent job. To me CD is the next logical step in the progression in the GNR legacy after hearing how they developed through the albums. VR and any of those side projects just followed a safe formula, CD is by far the freshest and liveliest of all the GNR albums and offshoots imo smile

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

I find any comparison of CD to the old albums to be premature.

For instance 23 years later i still love Appetite, 19 years later i still love UYI's

2 years later , im already sick of most of CD

so its one of those where CD is FRESH so people are going to have a stronger liking to it today cause u haven't wore it out for 2 decades.

Appetite and UYI's still hit me as hard and get my adrenaline pumping same as when i first heard it.

With CD.. i have to be in very special moods and i skip most of it after only 2 years.

so wait ten years, then compare. thats really the only fair way to do it.

Agreed 100% For me some of the comments in this thread are down right absurd. To each their own and yeah everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some of those are opinions are absolutely fucked. 14 ok so I'm not gonna be the politically correct, diplomatic one. The comparisons of CD to the old albums are ridiculous. Talk to me 10 years from now. No way in hell CD holds up the way the old material does. Like you -D- I'm pretty much sick of 95% of the CD album.

Its not just GNR but any band. The newer stuff is gonna be fresh. When Prince's Lotus Flower came out, first 2 weeks i was championing how the second disc was on par with Sign o The Times. I have said many ridiculous things in my life on the net, but that may have been the most absurd. a year later and u couldn't pay me to listen to that album.

in ten years, i can see listening to the 3 or 4 favorites.. but for me, most of it is pretty disposable.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Hmmm... I listened to AFD for the first time in fuckin ages today and found it a bit dated, it was the drums more than anything. Listened to Lies and it was a bit fresher, then it was UYI 1 and the songs sounded fantastic. It pisses me off that the media piss on the Illusions cause to me thats GNR at the peak of their powers, the musicianship and vocals are exceptional. The drums might be a bit bland, but Matt had just walked in the door but he still did a decent job. To me CD is the next logical step in the progression in the GNR legacy after hearing how they developed through the albums. VR and any of those side projects just followed a safe formula, CD is by far the freshest and liveliest of all the GNR albums and offshoots imo smile

I get what you're saying about AFD. The first half is utter Brilliance, then it slows into cheese territory, which is where it really sounds dated, but SCOM and RQ really shape it out well. The fucking cowbell. Ughhh. I actually like Steven's drumming for the most part. I never thought Matt's drumming really clicked with GNR. I don't think I'd change AFD... Except adding LIES version of Crazy and Patience in place of Think About You. big_smile

I really haven't listened to AFD in a while. LIES probably longer. I have my mix disk of UYI I and II, but haven't listened to any of that lately, either. Mostly I listen to CD and its the GNR album I listen to most. Haven't listened in a couple weeks. Thing I love about CD is that when I get in a mood for it its never the same set of songs I listen to. It's always different. I can't say that about any other GNR album.

I'd still like to hear AFD redux for the same reasons you mentioned. Axl should stream it on their myspace.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:
russtcb wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I like Rhiad. I still want someone to paste in Bucket's solo to the CD version.

I was just thinking about that the other day. I've listened to the album version for so long that I honestly forgot how the bucket solo goes. But I really need to give it a spin again, I remember liking it a great deal.

The thing I like about it is, there are elements of the intro and outro in the solo. It all tied together. Now, with Ron, it does not.

Yeah the album version is severely lacking. If/when I listen to Riad, I listen to the demo. On that cd I made ages ago with my favorite CD songs, most of it are the skwerl leaks.

Musically Riad is probably the album's best track. The night it leaked and for a few days after I had that blaring in my house. Almost drove my then girlfriend crazy. I remember one night when staying over I was of course post whoring while she was asleep and had that song on a loop, and she says  "you listening to that AGAIN??!!" 14

Its such a kick ass jam which is why I always felt it a bit more fitting for a Praxis album and was shocked that Tommy had a writing credit yet Bucket didn't as both pretty much make the song 'click' at that level.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I cracked open AFD & Lies today for the first time in years, and I kind of reacted of "been there, done that".

The last several years, AFD has stayed strong because it was still fresh in some ways. Rock hadn't changed much since 1987, and GNR's debut was still insanely popular.

Now, it's starting to sound dated. With 23 years on it, it's starting to truely fall into 'classic rock' territory with that dated, "oh that WAS cool", no different than The Eagles, Skynyrd, Stones, Queen, Beatles classic albums.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I find the production on AFD's a bit dated; the drums in particular. I can't explain exactly what it is about those drums, but there's something, some reverb or the way they've been mic'ed up that makes them sound very, very 80s. It doesn't help that the album's never been properly remastered to give it a bit more punch. I'd be fascinated to hear the 1999 AFD redux - it's the thing I'm most curious about from the Chinese Democracy sessions. I'd even, I think, take a leak of that over a leak of Checkmate.

Of all the albums, the one that sounds least dated is the acoustic portion of Lies - probably because it's difficult for a stripped-down acoustic track to date.

UYI hasn't dated nearly as badly as AFD, IMO. It feels a bit redolent of the early 90s in places, but that's probably just my mind free-associating when I hear it, and conjuring up memories of Nintendo and Terminator 2 and Slash in plaid shirts.

The Spaghetti Incident... well, let's just say that Izzy's absence really makes that album suffer. I'd love to hear the original mixes, with Izzy in place of Gilby.

The jury's still out on Chinese Democracy, really. I think it sounds very of the moment, though - which is interesting, given that it was recorded over the course of a decade.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I find the production on AFD's a bit dated; the drums in particular. I can't explain exactly what it is about those drums, but there's something, some reverb or the way they've been mic'ed up that makes them sound very, very 80s. It doesn't help that the album's never been properly remastered to give it a bit more punch. I'd be fascinated to hear the 1999 AFD redux - it's the thing I'm most curious about from the Chinese Democracy sessions. I'd even, I think, take a leak of that over a leak of Checkmate.

Of all the albums, the one that sounds least dated is the acoustic portion of Lies - probably because it's difficult for a stripped-down acoustic track to date.

UYI hasn't dated nearly as badly as AFD, IMO. It feels a bit redolent of the early 90s in places, but that's probably just my mind free-associating when I hear it, and conjuring up memories of Nintendo and Terminator 2 and Slash in plaid shirts.

The Spaghetti Incident... well, let's just say that Izzy's absence really makes that album suffer. I'd love to hear the original mixes, with Izzy in place of Gilby.

The jury's still out on Chinese Democracy, really. I think it sounds very of the moment, though - which is interesting, given that it was recorded over the course of a decade.

coolbro.gif

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Axl said himself in an interview in the late 90s early 2000s that the drums are extremely dated in the way that they were recorded.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

I cant put CD over AFD  but here are my taste's in order
1AFD
2 UYI 1&2 -CD- here for now
3 Live like a suicide
4 Lies
5 TSI -CD_ was here on first spin
6 That silver hits record
   -and for fun-
7 Slash-solo -I really want a Slash ONLY solo record Slash & his Les Paul
8 Slash- snakepit
9 Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu hounds first record
10 Velvet revolver 1&2
11 Gilby solo work - Primus
12 Adler relives appetite
13 Hollywood rose
14 Bucket head solo efforts
15 Bumble solo game noodley stuff
16 any of Duff solo projects
17 Alter bridge
18 Stone temple pilots

hmm do you guys have a 10 degrees of GNR thread buried anywhere?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

So you think Chinese Democracy was ahead of its time when it was being recorded? Wow. 18

There's nothing wrong with the drums on AFD. Its actually a crucial and very distinctive part of the album. I do find it funny how everyone loved everything about that record, Axl finally chimes in not loving the drums, now people have issues with Adler's contributions.

Maybe you're not one of those types. Maybe you always hated it. Either way you're entitled to your opinion.

AFD is practically a flawless record although I would have dropped You're Crazy. Nothing any of those guys ever say will ever sway my opinion on that album.

You think AFD is dated, then say UYI isn't? Pass the crack pipe my way.

Board footer