You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Most irritating word inthe english language

Neemo wrote:

.."Whatever" voted most irritating word in poll

By Bernard Orr | Reuters – Wed, 15 Dec 3:27 PM EST

....NEW YORK (Reuters) - Whatever you think about using grating words, at the end of the day it's actually better not to say whatever, if you know what I mean.

For the second consecutive year "whatever' topped a Marist poll as the most annoying word or phrase in the English language.

Nearly 39 percent of 1,020 Americans questioned in the survey deemed it the most irritating word, followed by "like" with 28 percent and the phrase "you know what I mean' at 15 percent.

"Perhaps these words are introduced through popular culture, for example movies ... so they catch on," said Mary Azzoli, of Marist. "It has a lot to do with how accepted and how popular they become in every day speech."

Azzoli said words like "whatever" can be quite dismissive depending on how they are used.

"It's the way they are delivered and inherent in that delivery is a meaning.

The phrase "to tell you the truth" and "actually" were also unnerving to many people. But for younger Americans, aged 18 to 29, "like" was the word that annoyed them most.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

like, whatever......ya know what i mean?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I fucking hate "It is what it is" and thankfully I don't believe I've ever used it.

"Like" isn't annoying unless you're listening to a 14 year old girl or some ditz in her 20's who thinks Jersey Shore is the shit. It's when "Like" is used every third word that it becomes  annoying.

"Whatever" I can see because when people use it, it's often used in a tone that says "fuck off"   14

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It is what it is. It's that, or we both better go do something else pal.

denirorobert7.jpg

To me it's not so much about words as it is attitude. The worst has to be the news reporter acting like he/she gives a shit about some "tragic" event. Thinking about it every damn soul on television is a fucking cliche who don't deserve life. That and marketers, take your warranty and kill yourself now.

"Whatever" is pretty high on the list though, especially when said by a bitch. But on the other hand it can be pretty funny if used in a friendly banter kind of way. Generally people who take themselves too seriously are walking fountains of irritation and headache.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've always felt "the bottom line" was overused.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ Yeah I agree with that.

I also think "absolutely" gets a hammering too.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

"lotion"

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Redicilous.

I think it's because I can never spell it right.

See

Just did it again

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Moist

Board footer