You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: What's the meaning behind Madagascar ?

Will wrote:

I have some vague idea that Madagascar was a real life event or place of some kind but really know nothing at all on the term "Madagascar". Can anyone provide some kind of info on it, as until I hear differently I'm always going to believe the lyrics of the song are written about the old band.

This may be a re-hashed subject but it's one I've never got into before and the song has really grown on me recently so fancy discussing it.

I won't go into all of the references I've noticed now ; you'll probably all bash me and tell me it's got nothing to do with the old lineup lol.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well someone who knows more than me will no doubt correct me. But I think its an Island nation where people used to get shipwrecked back in the pirate days.

I agree it could be about the old band, or at least a metaphore for the struggles he faces in his own mind in relation to the balance between fear, confidence, success, failure, when to try, when its too late etc.

I've always thought of it as a positive thinking song, saying that even though what was once GNR has been destroyed, and hes been listening to the nay-sayers who think he's all washed up and a has been, he now beleives in his own talent and knows that he has more to do artisticly.

But maybe thats just my own story and spin on it!

It reminds me of that 200x interview where he said one of the delays had been "how to do you rebuild something that was" or words to that effect.

Will

Will wrote:

Thanks for the information, and your theory behind the song smile I think the interview you're referring to was the VMA's 02 after-show interview with Kurt Loder. He talked about replacing everyone on the crew etc.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah alot of people think its about the old band, and there is probably some truth in that. However, I always thought it was more about his love/hate relationship with his fans and the media. He seems to have issues with his own fanbase for whatever reasons. CD deals with this subject as well. Maybe he spent too much time on the internet.:haha:

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

yeah it could well be about that stuff too I think.

I've been pondering it some more, and I guess its about loosing something then deciding if its too late to get it back. Which i guess works with the shipwreck idea too...like the "I can't find my way back my way anymore" kinda thing.

So could be about love and stuff too.

But i really like the idea that its other people telling him he can't but he doesnt accept that now. Great Song.

Sky Dog wrote:

When I first heard this song two weeks after the Rio 2001 show, I was completely blown away...I thought it was absolutely perfect for that time. He was back and he was bruised but not a beaten man. He wasn't going to be told that he could not overcome the obstacles of his personal relationships, his professional relationships, etc...He was determined to overcome it. Bucket nails that song, Axl gives a very hearfelt introduction, a new era is dawning. I was fucking thrilled. Then, no album that year and we still don't have it. Now, the shine on the song is gone. He hasn't overcome his demons and is in the same position he was in 1999. Still trying to figure out how to release a record.:flame:

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah I hear ya.

Whilst i've never met axl, I'd assume he is a person with ups and downs, like maybe sometimes he feels like he does in Madagascar and other times he feels very low.

That's how i feel at times anyway! haha!

Jameslofton wrote:

Yeah alot of people think its about the old band, and there is probably some truth in that. However, I always thought it was more about his love/hate relationship with his fans and the media. He seems to have issues with his own fanbase for whatever reasons. CD deals with this subject as well. Maybe he spent too much time on the internet.:haha:

See now I think Chinese Democracy is about the fans.   

I really think Maddy is about the old band and old relationships from that time and what they turned into now and how they all singled him out and now he has broken free from that.

Will

Will wrote:

Some great interpretations on the song 22

Its about overcoming what is bringing you down, whatever it may be.

Board footer