You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Unforgiven.

The metamorphosis of him being a broken down old man into William Munny, killer of women and children is incredible.

They'll never make a western like this again. IMO it's the bookend of the genre.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Great movie, but for me (although a mini series) lonesome Dove takes the crown for the genre. Shame its not more known over these parts.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
James wrote:

Unforgiven.

The metamorphosis of him being a broken down old man into William Munny, killer of women and children is incredible.

They'll never make a western like this again. IMO it's the bookend of the genre.

James...watch Godless mini series on netflix

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Deadwood also if you haven't see it.

James

James wrote:

I'll check em out. Haven't watched neither one.

I remember Lonesome Dove. My grandma's all time favorite show.

It was damn good and I'm definitely overdue for a rewatch.

The grittiness and realism of Unforgiven is what places it in a league above all other westerns that came before it.

It should've swept the Oscars.  To this day I still can't believe they gave Best Actor to Pacino for Scent of A Woman.

Best thing about that movie was Gabrielle Anwar...who they pushed to the moon as the "IT girl" but she quickly faded.

Edit

I never understood why they never did a prequel to Unforgiven. The story begs to be told.

William Munny in his prime and then he meets Claudia, who changes his life and he gives everything up for her.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I gotta rewatch that.

James

James wrote:

Greenland - A doomsday movie about a comet on a collision course with Earth.

It's good but I was disappointed. I was hoping they would focus more on the science aspect of the disaster and any attempt to veer it off course. Instead it focused on a family getting split apart and the trip to Greenland.

Having said that, I'm glad it wasn't like Armageddon. Much more realistic.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Saw Wonder Woman 1984. It was ok, but I had my issues with it.

Hidden Text:

If she can all of a sudden fly in 1984, why couldn’t she fly in Batman v Superman or Justice League?  Wouldn’t an event where every person had their wish granted and nuclear missiles being seconds from explosion be a world changing event that would have implications in the world shown in modern DCEU films?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Soul. Really good.

But if anyone thinks theaters are going to be replaced by streaming is fooling themselves. This deserved to be seen in a theater, and there's a huge difference. I was pretty indifferent about the debqte, but yeah, people want to get out of the house, and movies should feel like an event again. Streaming can't replace or replicate that. I missed the trailers, the smell of popcorn, the big screen, and ambiance. And I missed the Pixar short.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Saw Wonder Woman 1984. It was ok, but I had my issues with it.

Hidden Text:

If she can all of a sudden fly in 1984, why couldn’t she fly in Batman v Superman or Justice League?  Wouldn’t an event where every person had their wish granted and nuclear missiles being seconds from explosion be a world changing event that would have implications in the world shown in modern DCEU films?

I saw it, its ok. Felt its kinda about the same as the first one, good but not great. I feel she's a great 'story' & inspiration to girls, but the films & screenplay just can't ever make it work. Installment 3 if they make it (likely will I'd guess) needs an epic treatment. Like TDK, make it dark & epic saga.

As for WW84, I felt 80s theme fluctuated off & on a bit, didn't feel like it took place in the 80s the entire film, seemed kinda halfassed only in certain scenes. I didn't read that into it for your first spoiler, the second, yeah that seemed kinda thrown into it towards the end?  Wasn't like Black Panther of an over-arching storyline theme of 'badness out there'.

Anyway I do like HBOMax alot. I watched Batman 89, man, that's a classic. I was always a fan but its been decades I think since I saw it. That said, I do sorta agree TDK is better, but Tim Burton & Jack Nicholson really raised the bar on expectations to live up to with Batman.

I'm not sure the whole DC Universe is gonna work out as well as Marvel. I feel DC storylines are better with Good guy/bad guy near standalone films. Like Batman & Spiderman or the 90s & 2000s etc. Trying to morph into MCU I'm not sure it's working.

Oh, I saw Joker. Wow!!  I liked it alot, and didn't really think I would. Having said that tho, it sorta seemed like they took an indie script akin to Fight Club or Taxi Driver, and slapped on the Joker brand and snuck in him being Joker towards the end of it. Sortof ashame for younger people they don't get those generational movies anymore, it's all Marvel & comic books, or stupid comedies.

Board footer