You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:

It turned 50 so I had to rewatch it.  Yeah, I'm talking about the Godfather.  Having seen this a few times, you end up watching and trying to pick up stuff on stuff you missed or never noticed.  Like in the famous "leave the gun get the canoli" scene, it's set up like outside a field of wheat and grain and in the back you can see the Statue of Liberty.  It's kind of a metaphor for the American dream that even these gangsters seemed to have achieved.  Or at the end of film , there's a clear callback to a central scene that has happened earlier.  In essence, though this is a film about fathers and sons and the dynamic within that. 

Also finally watched Brick (2005).  Weird that is taken me so long to watch this.  It's rather clever and I really liked it.  Interesting to see high school students act like those characters from film/neo-noir of yesteryear.  And it works.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I need to rewatch the Godfather trilogy. It's overdue... especially the third one.

Around 20 years ago on the cable channel AMC or Bravo they showed a version of both I and II unedited as a single film and in chronological order. It was amazing seeing it in that format.

Good point on observing different things in films during rewatches as you get older.  One thing I noticed more on my last watch of the first a few years ago is Carlo's betrayal of the family leading to his murder. It's sorta going on in the background with all the other craziness transpiring. Then it hits you like a ton of bricks when Sonny is killed.

What an amazing film. Too bad nothing remotely up to this standard will be made again.

GI Jane - One of the films that helped lead to Demi's downfall from the A list.

While overall the story is a tad ridiculous, it's not really that bad. The early SEAL training segments are pretty good. It's main problem is it gets too political and the story goes off the rails after she briefly quits and jumps into the corruption in DC with the Senate. I no longer cared at this point. The climax with the special ops mission they go on is ridiculous.

This is another movie that practically begs for a remake in today's culture.

I also finished season 3 of Maude.

Tubi added a bunch of movies today. I might give Maude a break and watch a couple of those.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I need to rewatch the Godfather trilogy. It's overdue... especially the third one.

Around 20 years ago on the cable channel AMC or Bravo they showed a version of both I and II unedited as a single film and in chronological order. It was amazing seeing it in that format.

Good point on observing different things in films during rewatches as you get older.  One thing I noticed more on my last watch of the first a few years ago is Carlo's betrayal of the family leading to his murder. It's sorta going on in the background with all the other craziness transpiring. Then it hits you like a ton of bricks when Sonny is killed.

What an amazing film. Too bad nothing remotely up to this standard will be made again.

I'm pretty certain it was AMC.  I remember this sort of.  I also remember they ran the unedited film, then showed Godfather + Godfather II seperately.  Because I remember taping I and II on a VHS tapes.  Oh fuck, I probably should have tape the unedit film as well.

Oh definitely,  the entire sequence sets the 2nd half of the film in motion.   And yeah even though you know it's coming (Sonny's death) it still hits you.  It's totally consistent with Sonny's character and flaws.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Collateral. Not quite as stellar as I remember it but still a great movie. Being a villain is a natural look for Tom Cruise.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Speaking of Mann, Miami Vice is a lot better than I remembered it. Cruise should have played Sonny Crockett.

James

James wrote:

Have you guys ever checked out Pluto TV? I downloaded it and they have tons of shows.

While they don't have the entire history of the program, they have a handful of episodes from all 30+ seasons of 48 Hours. Crazy. I watched 3 episodes from the late 90s and early 2000s.

Those types of shows were so much better back then.

James

James wrote:

Killing Them Softly - This is one of those movies that's so close to greatness...yet so far away.

I love how the story plays out with the 2008 economic collapse happening in the background. The problem? The story itself isn't all that interesting.

Brad Pitt hits a home run. I love his portrayal of a jaded, take no shit hitman. This character deserved a better story.

Gandolfini hits a home run with his small role as well.

The Brave One - A Jodi Foster movie I didn't know existed until last night. It got shitty reviews but I was intrigued.

It's Death Wish for women. I started getting into the story but it gets more ridiculous as it goes on. The ending completely ruins it. It also feels tacked on at the last minute.

Her and Terrence Howard had great chemistry. You get invested into their budding relationship (which never happens) and how he's piecing it all together. That climax spits in the face of all of it. I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

I think one of the mistakes was having her go after the guys who assaulted her and murdered her fiance....and going after the guy Terrance was investigating. The story was better when her attacks were more random. I liked the psychological layers of the story with her recording her crimes and listening to them in the aftermath....and how she was toying with Terrance.

Deja Vu - I hadn't watched this since seeing it in the theater 15 years ago. I remember being blown away by this and falling in love with Paula Patton.

It's not as good as I remembered it. It gets a little too outlandish and that ending is garbage.

The Belko Experiment - It was ok. I liked the concept but didn't like the way it played out... especially once it got down to the nitty gritty.

They get you invested in how the black girl is evading these psychos and make a big deal out of her getting away from the boss and then she just gets quickly and randomly killed.

Also hated the ending.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The Brave One - A Jodi Foster movie I didn't know existed until last night. It got shitty reviews but I was intrigued.

It's Death Wish for women. I started getting into the story but it gets more ridiculous as it goes on. The ending completely ruins it. It also feels tacked on at the last minute.

Her and Terrence Howard had great chemistry. You get invested into their budding relationship (which never happens) and how he's piecing it all together. That climax spits in the face of all of it. I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

I think one of the mistakes was having her go after the guys who assaulted her and murdered her fiance....and going after the guy Terrance was investigating. The story was better when her attacks were more random. I liked the psychological layers of the story with her recording her crimes and listening to them in the aftermath....and how she was toying with Terrance.

Deja Vu - I hadn't watched this since seeing it in the theater 15 years ago. I remember being blown away by this and falling in love with Paula Patton.

It's not as good as I remembered it. It gets a little too outlandish and that ending is garbage.

I saw the Brave One years ago at a dollar theater and just remember it being one of those "shut off your brain" movies.  Maybe I should revisit this one.

On Deja Vu, I watched it during my pandemic movie binges and remember liking Patton's character most of all.  Watched it for Val Kilmer mostly (this was before he got super fat).  And I agree about the ending.  It's one of those time travel things where it just gets totally confusing to me (also have the same issue with Looper).  I kinda liked the setting in New Orleans though, that one is always a fun city for movie settings.  I remember liking the dramatic elements (again due to Patton) more than the time travel stuff.

James

James wrote:

Die Hard With A Vengeance - Loved it. Hadn't watched this since it came out. Had a perfect blend of comedy mixed in with the action and drama. Bruce and Samuel Jackson had great chemistry.

When looking up reviews I found out something that blew my mind....

This story was originally supposed to be Lethal Weapon 3. It would be Mel Gibson and the Zeus character played by Jackson would be a woman instead.

The studio balked and this allowed the script to be turned into a Die Hard a couple years later.

These wacky alternate Hollywood scenarios are fascinating. Should be a book on the subject.

James

James wrote:

To Die For - Definitely Nicole Kidman's peak. I think it was a mistake to have her killed at the end. She was a total fame whore and could've had scenes of her getting off on all the attention during a trial and in prison.

The Master - It was ok. It runs in place for long stretches. I was expecting something major to happen and the cult gets exposed as frauds. This has a great cast.... Hoffman, Phoenix, and Amy Adams.

Board footer