You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Last Bruce Willis movie I watched was Survive the Night. You could tell he was already in decline.

When the technology improves, we're going to see new movies with these icons in their prime. We're almost there anyways.

I totally forgot the awesome cameo there by Javier Bardem as the druglord

Holy shit ..I didn't even notice it was him.

Inside Man - I didn't even know it existed until last night when looking at Denzel's entire filmography.

Definitely one of if not THE best Spike Lee film... although I'm not a huge fan.

It's pretty good but we don't get enough action from the Jodie Foster character when she's portrayed as this deal maker and amazing negotiator.

I liked the way that the bank robbery plays out but it's absurd how they don't really take anything. It felt like it was being unconventional for the sake of being unconventional.

Secret Window - A good cast but it feels like half B movie/half Lifetime movie. I don't think Turturro was right for the part. Not intimidating enough...and Depp is pure cringe when the twist starts being revealed and he acts crazy with the personalities.

A huge problem with this is anyone who read the (superior) Stephen King novella knows the twist is coming. It takes something away from it.

The Call -  This starts out ok but the more involved Halle Berry gets in solving the crime(she's a 911 operator), the more unrealistic it gets.

James

James wrote:

American Gangster - Can't believe I never watched this. It instantly moved up my list of best Denzel movies.  Even Russell Crowe is tolerable here. They did a great job on the 1970s setting.

Safe House - Denzel is damn good in these action movies but it drags too long and becomes way too predictable. Best parts of the film are the beginning and when Reynolds is having to chase him down after the escape.

Disclosure - Another movie I hadn't watched since renting it on VHS.  It's serviceable... great cast...and I loved watching those extremely dated scenes of the early internet and this is that wacky mid 90s period when they thought VR was soon going to become mainstream. It reminded me of my trip to Frisco in 95 when we saw that virtual reality display at Fisherman's Wharf and even then I knew it was years away from being ready for primetime. Graphics way too clunky...not even as good as the presentation of it in this movie.

Michael Douglas was on fire early 80s-late 90s.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

There's a new Russel Crowe documentary out. Looks to be quite good! 

I'm going to watch the new Nicolas Cage movie tomorrow. He plays himself as a fading actor. For once my expectations are quite high.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Top Gun: Maverick is getting stellar reviews. And it’s supposed to be insane in I-MAX.

Not sure if I want to see it like that. It can really screw with my equilibrium. And just the trailer says this is going to be really intense.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Disclosure - Another movie I hadn't watched since renting it on VHS.  It's serviceable... great cast...and I loved watching those extremely dated scenes of the early internet and this is that wacky mid 90s period when they thought VR was soon going to become mainstream. It reminded me of my trip to Frisco in 95 when we saw that virtual reality display at Fisherman's Wharf and even then I knew it was years away from being ready for primetime. Graphics way too clunky...not even as good as the presentation of it in this movie.

Michael Douglas was on fire early 80s-late 90s.

I have to rewatch Disclosure.  Finally saw it a decade ago and was semi disappointed.  I read the book and enjoyed that which probably didn't help.

Yep, Douglas had a shit ton of stuff aside from the obvious hits:  Romancing the Stone, Falling Down, War of the Roses, Black Rain (which is better than that Tokyo Vice series on HBO), and Wonder Boys (made in 2000) which I found really funny when I finally watched it

Jackie Brown:  this one is great.  Samuel L Jackson is on fire here as the main villian.  If you pay attention here, this is basically Tarentino making a 70s movie set in the late 90s.  There the kick ass 70s soundtrack.  Some of the backgrounds, scenes, details, scream 70s.  It's not as obvious too as some of the stuff now where you have these movies set in some past decade.  It was low key and kind of for the viewer to discern/figure out.  Deniro here goes against type and plays a mellow stoner who did time for robbery.  This is contrasted with the usual intense characters he was playing in the 90s.  Only a semi long run time and a questionable ending puts this below Pulp Fiction.  Oh Bridget Fonda is at her hottest here, but she has really aged poorly.  Oh there was also a scene with a Sam Goody's and an indoor mall plays a big role in the plot, but both those things are almost non existent today.

Dirty Harry: speaking of the 70s.  I haven't watched this one in years.  And it holds up today.  There's a bunch of interesting shots from Siegel throughout the film.  And Clint is a entertaining wiseass at times.  Love the view/shots of late 60s-early 70s SF.  The only drawback maybe, is the main bad guy, he seemed kind of goofy to me.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Jackie Brown is QTs greatest film. I love the guy, I think he’s the best director today, but his films now carry a level of absurdity. Jackie didn’t. It was a great gangster film.

James

James wrote:

Yeah Jackie Brown is also my favorite QT film.

Speaking of Dirty Harry, I almost watched Magnum Force last night. Instead I picked....

Bronco Billy - Hadn't watched this since watching it constantly on HBO/Showtime when I was 5-6 years old. It's a wacky movie..I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be.

If they were going to give it a feel good ending, why not have Sandra Locke come in and save the day with her money and buy that ranch they all dreamed about? She's rich but she only brings up money once while talking to him.

It just ends with her coming back and rejoining the show.

Indecent Proposal - Another movie not watched since renting it on VHS. I did not remember how this ends...all I remembered was the proposition and them arguing about it. Had I remembered, I wouldn't have bothered watching it again.

They cheapen the whole story with that ending to tidy things up. Ridiculous.

They do a great job setting up the proposition but it starts going to shit afterwards.

I have one thing to say about such a proposal...whether it be in a movie or a real life situation....

The relationship is OVER the nanosecond the woman considers it. Doesn't matter what position the guy takes... there's no going back at that point.

The movie should've focused on this and the aftermath of such a decision. Redford's character should never appear again after that night.

Instead it has to go overboard with Redford falling for her...and then she gives in and moves in with him while Woody's life falls apart.

This makes the ending even more ridiculous.... she would never give up the billionaire lifestyle to go back to him. Never. I don't care how strongly she still felt for him. She would have to know that the relationship is beyond repair.

The movie doesn't show it of course because it ends, but the same issue would quickly come up. He had issues with you over a one night stand...but won't over you moving in with Redford and on the verge of marrying him?!?

This movie could have been so much better with a rewrite.

Edit

Yep, Douglas had a shit ton of stuff aside from the obvious hits:  Romancing the Stone, Falling Down, War of the Roses, Black Rain (which is better than that Tokyo Vice series on HBO), and Wonder Boys (made in 2000) which I found really funny when I finally watched it

Add An American President to this list. He makes a great president...one of the best ever. 

I'm gonna watch The Star Chamber tonight. This movie blew my mind as a kid. Can't wait to see if it holds up.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I saw The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent in the theater tonight. It was me and 2 other people in there so I don't think the box office is going to be great.

It was good to see Nic Cage in a real movie again but it was not more than okay. Apart from some mildly funny bits the movie dragged. Good performances, good cast and sort of a good idea but in the hands of the wrong script and a director not up for the task.

Thinking about it they could have made a very funny movie when they got Cage willing to lampoon himself. The guy is a meme and they did not manage to capitalize on it.

James

James wrote:

I couldn't watch The Star Chamber last night. The site that has it said it was down for maintenance.

Mr. Saturday Night - My favorite Billy Crystal movie. Never understood the criticism and it's a bummer that it flopped. It deserved a few Oscar noms...only got one...David Paymer in his best role IMO. Unfortunately he couldn't win because the Oscars were stacked that year and Gene Hackman won for Unforgiven.

The only criticism I have is how unlikeable the main character is. He's looking for a redemption that can never come. He has been sabotaging his own career since day one...and he also does it when he has a shot at a legitimate comeback.

Helen Hunt is in it as his agent and I can't stand her. The movie is pretty funny and it has one of my all time favorite intros.... showing all the Jewish food as he talks about his family.

Firefox - This moves a few notches up my list of favorite Clint Eastwood movies. The only criticism is it's a tad too long...too much time spent in Russia before stealing the plane. It also tries to be both a spy movie and an action movie.

The FX a tad cheesy but this isn't a valid criticism...these were great FX for 1982. You just gotta roll with it.

I know Clint had a busy decade but he needed to squeeze in the sequel... should've filmed them back to back.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Just saw Unhinged.

Russel is another one of my favorite actors. Always had massive respect for both his movie star persona and his acting skills. Obviously I didn't expect to see anything ground breaking in a movie like this but the dude kinda impresses me here. He sells the role completely and I'm left wondering who else in Hollywood could pull this off? Most of the hot shot actors today can forget about it. Leo couldn't do it, maybe. Bale even less so. Tom Cruise? Nah, he would channel is Collateral character I think.

As a movie though it is just okay. They really needed a strong name actress here to pull off all those intense emotional scenes. Emily Blunt would have been perfect. The script it pretty good, the director less so. Lack of directing talent these days in Hollywood. The ending was pretty terrible. You can't have a cliched happy ending in this movie because there's no way you can bring yourself to hate Russel Crowe. He's the reason you are watching the movie in the first place, because you want to see him. He's gotta win somehow. 

Talking about Clint, do we know why he basically always did independent movies? He's the only major name in Hollywood I can think of that basically never did a Hollywood movie.

Board footer