You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Unspeakable - A 48 minute movie?!? Really? It's a made for British TV movie I wish I hadn't bothered with...a Tubi recommendation. It's about a woman who receives a text message that her younger boyfriend is molesting her daughter.

The minor twist doesn't give it any real closure....and it ends as if they ran out of money and stopped filming.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot - You were right...this is one of his gems. I also liked Jeff Bridges in this...an actor I never cared much for.

Now that I've finally watched this, it makes me wish he had done more films in this style...he's almost always a loner type. Even in movies where he's traveling with a gang... there's Clint...and then everyone else.

God I just love the look of mid-late 70s film. It will never be replicated..  It will never come close....even Quentin's just feel like facsimiles.

Run - How many movies about fake illnesses and Munchausen by Proxy are they gonna make? Isn't this like the fourth one in the span of a couple years?

It's actually a pretty good story...but I could see where it was going 10 minutes in and almost turned it off to watch another Clint movie (The Enforcer).

James

James wrote:

Donovan Reid - Another one of those "Our kidnapped child comes home but is it really him?" movies...but this one with a twist!

Thank God it was short or I would've turned it off.

Out of Time - Wasn't a big fan of this. Best parts are when Denzel keeps having to cover his tracks but I just disliked it in general...the homicide detective being his wife, the ridiculous set up, and I can't stand Dean Cain.

Tombstone - I liked it better than I did back in the 90s. Wouldn't rank it the best Western like many do.. but it gets the job done.

My favorite scene is when Kurt Russell gets in Billy Bob Thornton's face. During that 90 seconds or so, he projects the image of one bad motherfucker.  Unfortunately, this level of intensity is dropped even in later fight scenes.

Great cast and they're all so young here. Hard to believe this film came out 30 years ago.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Now that I've finally watched this, it makes me wish he had done more films in this style...he's almost always a loner type. Even in movies where he's traveling with a gang... there's Clint...and then everyone else.

God I just love the look of mid-late 70s film. It will never be replicated..  It will never come close....even Quentin's just feel like facsimiles.

Funny you should mention this.  I rewatched In the Line of Fire the other day and he's a loner in that one too.  Which is why he is so similiar to the Mitch character.  This film would not have worked with any other two actors.  Malkovich and Eastwood give it something special and unique.  DeNiro was once attacthed as the villan of this film and it would just be a rehash of his Cape Fear character.  Film still holds up 30 years later.  There's actually a fair amount of romantic stuff in the first half and Russo has great chemistry with Eastwood otherwise it wouldn't have worked.

It's the grit of the mid-late 70s stuff.  Hard to explain but it's definitely not as cheery or clean as the 80s and the 90s doesn't come close.  There's something that just scream toughness or you gotta be on your wits with those 70s films.

Ransom: fairly dull and predictable thriller w/Sean Connery and Ian Mcshane.  Both men did far better films in the 70s.  This one is just there and has no intensity or interesting parts.

Hannah and Her Sisters:  There's something about this Woody Allen film that I rewatch every few years.  I'm glad that they didn't give the Michael Caine character to Woody Allen.  Caine nails his part and so does Allen. Wiest seems to have found a niche in that time period of playing a neurotic.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I love that Eastwood had to use a BP vest, and Malkovich kind of laughs. It was a test to see if Frank could really take a bullet and he couldn’t do it.

That was one of my favorite villains ever. Next to Gary Oldman in The Professional.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Going to see Top Gun Maverick on Thursday at an IMAX Dome. I AM PUMPED!!!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Going to see Top Gun Maverick on Thursday at an IMAX Dome. I AM PUMPED!!!

Dude. Same. My brother and I will go  see it the Monday after. Regular IMAX. Should be a fun movie.

James

James wrote:

I'm tempted to go watch Top Gun. I haven't been to a theater in eons. I used to love it so much. The atmosphere is different now unfortunately.

Edit

After seeing you guys talk about it...I think I'll watch In the Line of Fire. It's another I haven't watched since release. I see they recommend Witness below it... maybe I'll try that as well.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Luck - tv series

Cancelled after just 1 season ten years ago. I think this is the last great show to come out of HBO. Cast is fantastic, directing top notch and writing almost as good as Deadwood. Final episode is a pinnacle of television. Horse race is brilliant, just incredibly well shot and edited.

This type of quality does not exist in tv anymore far as I know. In movies you may get it from the few old time directors like Scorsese and Scott, but those guys are past their best now.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I love that Eastwood had to use a BP vest, and Malkovich kind of laughs. It was a test to see if Frank could really take a bullet and he couldn’t do it.

That was one of my favorite villains ever. Next to Gary Oldman in The Professional.

He really is great in that and is more or less the stronger character in the movie than Frank.  When I was watching it the other day, the one part with the bank teller came up.  It's the part where he lies about being from Minneapolis.  He gets caught on it and you can see in his face, "oh I fucked up".    I don't think Malkovich has ever topped this perfomance.

Luck, is the tv series with Hoffman, right?  I never got why they cancelled it.

James

James wrote:

Server was down for In the Line of Fire. I'll try it again tonight.

Sicario - This movie would have been better had they focused more on Del Toro's character instead of Blunt's.  I didn't like her character...all she does is whine about the opportunity handed to her on a silver platter...and her partner was useless.

16 Blocks -  This is basically a semi-remake of The Gauntlet. It was ok but the black guy really got on my nerves after awhile. Didn't like Bruce's character either...this would've been better had he been a little more lively/upbeat.

Board footer