You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I loved Party of Five but they were both crazy for not leaving the series in season 3...maybe 4. They both had horror movie hits, the media loved them, guys loved them, and it was time to break out.

Instead they ran that momentum into the ground. Hewitt stayed on Party of Five to the point they knocked her off the show to do a spin off series which bombed of course.

She wound up being lucky to have the career she did have.

Timing is everything.

There were some crazy stories about her back then(mainly sex related). Imagine if phones and social media had been around then.

Of the two, Hewitt probably fucked up more.  She had more helium than Campbell, whom I could see getting pigeonholed into the smart girl/girl next door/supporting character role in movies.

But Hewitt?  From 1997-1999.  There was buzz and she should have gotten into more movies as you say.    But there are no real female movie stars that can open a movie on their name only (maybe Roberts and Bullock).  It's almost the same with the males.  Guys like Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt (he's had more bombs than Cruise) are a dying breed.  You ever look at the top grossing movies for the last two years?  All franchises.  And you basically could have tossed anyone into the lead role and it wouldn't matter.  The franchise (or brand name) is all that needs to be there.

Pale Blood--1990 low budget Vampire film.  Not bad; slightly arty.  Had this cute actress who was in Project X.  There's a twist here that works here. Also a good look at LA in the late 80s still.

Point Blank: Lee Marvin revenge flick.  I think I prefer Payback (Mel Gibson 90s film).  Both films come from the same source material.  But I think the Gibson film is "truer" to the novel.  Point Blank isn't bad at all.  It's just a little psychadelic and trippy and slightly confusing.  Paybeck is funnier as well.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

But Hewitt?  From 1997-1999.  There was buzz and she should have gotten into more movies as you say.

What made it even more unique (and such a waste) is she was marketed like she was a movie star already.  From fall 97-summer 98 she was everywhere...on the cover of every magazine, on every It Girl list from here to Timbuktu, the gossip shows and tabloid rags, and she also lucked into being one of the popular internet celebs at the time (so did Bullock).

I rolled my eyes at the Party of Five spinoff announcement.  I always wondered if she got nervous at how the I Know What You Did Last Summer sequel played out and decided to play it safe and remain on TV.

Either way...it was a mistake.

She also tried being the next Jennifer Lopez and be a pop star too.

I think it hurt more than helped.

You ever look at the top grossing movies for the last two years?  All franchises.  And you basically could have tossed anyone into the lead role and it wouldn't matter.  The franchise (or brand name) is all that needs to be there.

This is why I don't understand why movie star salaries aren't nosediving. Other than a small handful of exceptions (Cruise, Pitt, The Rock) and of course huge icons(Eastwood, Pacino)' none of these people are required.

You could hire me to be one of these superheroes and it makes the same amount of money as the last one.

I also have no idea how there hasn't been a backlash to the complete oversaturation of superhero crap.

James

James wrote:

It Could Happen To You - Another Tubi recommendation.

It's not very good. Rosie Perez is insanely annoying in this. The only reason to keep watching is Bridget Fonda.

This made me her look her up on Tubi and Point of No Return is on here. I'm thinking about skipping Clint and watching that before going to bed.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Super hero actors make pennies in the beginning. Like a few hundred k. They can command larger salaries later when the fans become attached to them. Replacing them willy nilly could be done but I suspect there would be a lot of backlash and bad pr they don't want.

We'll end up with digital actors I think. At least in those type of movies.

James

James wrote:

Point of No Return - Bridget Fonda is amazing in this. Only one criticism...

She should've spent a few months training and getting in shape for the role. She's way too scrawny to be doing all the action/fighting she does in this movie. You can really see it in certain angles. Her arms were like toothpicks.

Other than that...it's a great story. I actually would have liked a sequel...one where a mission is more elaborate instead of the "hit and run" assassinations in this film.

Mulroney's character was getting on my nerves. He's such a whiny bitch. I was begging for her to leave him.

Bridget Fonda is rarely talked about nowadays due to retiring so long ago but damn...she was hot stuff for a few years there.

One more issue I had with a specific scene...

She's grocery shopping and buys everything in bulk. She buys a bunch of cans of ravioli. She then has dinner with Mulroney and they're going to eat the raviolis. When they show the food, it is clearly not canned ravioli...it's obviously restaurant quality catered to the set.

It pissed me off.  It wouldn't kill them to take a few bites of canned ravioli.

I'm tempted to watch Single White Female. That's one of her best movies. It's also on Tubi.

Edit

I forgot to mention what I read after watching it.

These actresses wanted the role...

Winona Ryder
Madonna
Demi Moore
Juliette Lewis
Robin Wright

Julia Roberts turned it down twice before the role finally went to Fonda. It's actually a miracle she even got it with that level of interest from others.  I'm shocked it wasn't handed to Madonna or Demi Moore on a silver platter.

We'll end up with digital actors I think. At least in those type of movies.

I hope I live to see this. It's definitely headed in that direction.

It's how icons will be not only brought back from the dead, we'll get to see them in their prime once again.

A new Dirty Harry
A prequel to Unforgiven
A new Die Hard

Maybe something like Oceans 11 with an all Star cast spanning Hollywood history.

The sky's the limit.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It can't be far off when we already have this:

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I also have no idea how there hasn't been a backlash to the complete oversaturation of superhero crap.

The propoganda machine helps I think.  Disney Plus, Hulu..whatever streaming service is connected to these films.  Free advertising for the 21st century.

I don't really want to go off on this topic but fuck the "mid tier" film has been totally eliminated in the last 5-10 years or so.  You had your blockbusters/franchises, then you have another types/sets of film, that may or may not star an A lister, but it was different from the franchise/blockbusters in that is was creative/had a hook.  Then you had the indie stuff and the direct to DVD stuff.  This was like from 70s to maybe the 2000s. The Matrix probably qualifies as one of these types of films.

Now?  Franchise (superhero shit usually), then indie stuff, then DTV stuff from fading icons looking to make a buck for whatever reason.  Dramatic drop off in quality.

James wrote:

These actresses wanted the role...

Winona Ryder
Madonna
Demi Moore
Juliette Lewis
Robin Wright

Julia Roberts turned it down twice before the role finally went to Fonda. It's actually a miracle she even got it with that level of interest from others.  I'm shocked it wasn't handed to Madonna or Demi Moore on a silver platter.

Honestly, I think they got lucky here.  I can't see Roberts, Madonna, Wright, or Lewis in the role.  Roberts wasn't playing a heel killer coming off Pretty Woman and stuff like the Pelican Brief.  Madonna never had the acting chops.  Wright, maybe?  But maybe she doesn't do Forrest Gump as a result of this.  I think she made out ok in that trade off.  I could see Moore pulling off the role.  Skeptical about Winona, as much as I like her and also she was also very skinny as well.  She went to do an "oscar bait" film w/Scorcese in 1993, probably not a loss for her in missing out on that film.

Rewatched Heat.  What a wonderful and beautiful film.  I can't really say enough about it.  There's actually a bunch of plotlines in this and they all work.  And the wolf analogy that is mentioned in the film is accurate.  The 3 main characters are all wolves (including the Val Kilmer character).  And wolves hunt alone or are drawn to others like them, which is why the coffee shop is so revered.  Those 2 share a kinship, understanding, and intimacy in that they can reveal their true thoughts about their lives/philosophies to each other.  Mann's films are often about the outsider/criminal trying to fit into society and into a normal lifestyle (this is very prevalent in Thief as well) and it just doesn't happen and the two don't mix.  There's always a major conflict there. They are meant to be alone and lonely.   Vincent (Pacino character) realizes this and accepts this, which is why his marriage is on the skids.  Neil deludes himself into thinking he has a future w/Eady (after she finds out he's a thief/criminal) and that's kinda his downfall.  She was basically done with him after that plus he went against the Heat "creed".

Oh one fucking hilarious part I never realized.  After Vincent finds his wife cheating with some jobber at his house, he goes balistic and steals the TV...then dumps it later on in the street.  Pacino had a nuanced performance here.  He's channeling some of his "scarface" over the top stuff along with the character.  You can see some of the pompousness here, but it's never overwhelming.  But he balances it out with some character moments like offering sympathy to one of the victims of Waingro/ and or his relationship with his stepdaugher.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Pacino played the role as a coke addict. Changed my opinion of him going over the top here

James

James wrote:

Honestly, I think they got lucky here.  I can't see Roberts, Madonna, Wright, or Lewis in the role.  Roberts wasn't playing a heel killer coming off Pretty Woman and stuff like the Pelican Brief.  Madonna never had the acting chops.  Wright, maybe?  But maybe she doesn't do Forrest Gump as a result of this.  I think she made out ok in that trade off.  I could see Moore pulling off the role.  Skeptical about Winona, as much as I like her and also she was also very skinny as well

Image wise I could picture Juliette doing it...but yeah...too scrawny.

Yeah...Winona had a great look but she's too short and skinny to pull off any action role. Her movies right before this were Mermaids and Great Balls of Fire. Turning her into an assassin would have made it a comedy.

I don't really want to go off on this topic but fuck the "mid tier" film has been totally eliminated in the last 5-10 years or so.

Scorsese is right...the industry will never recover from the madness in general from the past decade. They took it too far.

What makes it so much worse is how none of this crap being gobbled up is meant for us... it's all for the Asian markets... mainly China.

I think it's a big part of why they continually push this crap and risk overexposure and backlash. It's fucked beyond repair and they have nothing to lose. What could possibly fill the vacuum of a post-superhero industry? Is a change even possible. It's an ocean of mediocrity...and theaters are probably going to be phased out by the next decade. What theaters do remain will more than likely wind up being owned by Disney.

Streaming is the present and the future. One problem with this era...and it continues to get worse....these various platforms/apps aren't interested in quality. It's all about quantity. They have to keep new shit flowing at all times for subscribers.

Take a look at whatever the hell is in theaters this month, and then take a look at these newspaper ads from the 1980s....

08161986a-1200x545.jpg

---

02-16-1980-boston.jpg

That's amazing. If your whole family got together and went to the theater but everyone had different tastes, there's something for everyone...

You and your friend will watch The Fog

Mom and dad will watch Kramer vs Kramer

Grandma will watch The Black Stallion

Grandpa...who has a secret crush on Bo Derek...will watch 10.

Your eccentric uncle will watch Cruising.

We'll never experience that again.

In today's brewing dystopia, everyone will go watch *insert superhero movie here* and half the time will be spent playing with their phones.

Edit

Check this lineup out...

102982.jpg

Kids must have went nuts over that Star Wars double feature.

I saw ET in the theater summer 82 when we were in Texas. It was packed to the rafters...and everyone cried.

I miss double features.

Here's another great lineup...

11011986.jpg

That brought back a memory...

For some reason, my grandma (dad's mom) went crazy for Jumping Jack Flash. Wouldn't go to the theater of course. When it came out on VHS, I went to spend the weekend and she had me and my aunt Delores walk to 7-11 to rent it.

My pick was Chopping Mall.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Those are some great fucking ads.  Brings me back to where I'd grab the paper and see the ads (w/the poster in black and white like some of these).  You want to know something?  The irony is that with the advent of the reclining seats, the cinema experience is actually quite comfortable.  But it's quite sterile and the ambiance is gone.  I'd rather go to some theater with shitty/subpar seating with a wide choice of films. 

The problem with those films exclusively on streamers is that the quality sucks.  It's one step up on direct to dvd stuff.  Try looking at some of those Netflix exclusive movies and the summaries.  Some of the movies sound really cookie cutter and alike. Hate to sound like an old fart, but we'll never see those days of creativity from mainstream Hollywood anymore.  The China stuff is also kinda unbelievable... in that they are selling out to an awful communist regieme that has increasingly become intolerant.  It's all about money/bottom line now and nothing else.

Oh, Chopping Mall was a fun film I saw a few years ago. They probably could have done more with mall aspect but it was fine for what it was and I enjoyed it.

Board footer