You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

polluxlm wrote:

Zach Snyder I do like and if he was given freedom to make something it would undoubtedly be good. I worry a little about his form though, or perhaps it is a symptom of less freedom in the process.

Dawn of the Dead - Great debut
300 - Great follow up
Watchmen - One of my favorite superhero movies, one of the few that is really good.
Superman - Mediocre
Batman vs Superman - Mediocre but with some very good parts
Justice League - Mediocre - One good scene imo.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Agree Will all of that, but I loved Man if Steel, and a liked BVS. I even liked that weird musical Suckerpunch.

He should have directed Rise of Skywalker.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Gonna try “The Friends Of Eddie Coyle”

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Gonna try “The Friends Of Eddie Coyle”

That one is pretty good.  It's more of a character piece.  Very 70s.  Great later Mitchum performance.  I really liked Peter Boyle in it as well.

Bananas--I kinda miss this version of Woody Allen.  Just goes for the jokes and it suceeds for the most part.  The Howard Cosell bits are the funniest.  I do wonder if he had Keaton instead of Louise Lasser whether or not this film could have been improved.  They don't seem to have much chemistry to me.

Battle Royale.  Still holds up and one of my favorites despite numerous viewings.  I never realized how funny Kitano is in this.

The Ring (2002 version) and Ringu (Japanese original).   I'll just compare and note some stuff since I watched both of these on consecutive days.  The American version, specifically Seattle is better in terms of setting than the original (Tokyo).  There some mystical quality that I preferred with the American version.  Something about the prevalence of the color green that I liked over Tokyo which was just kinda there.  The ghost was actually stronger and much spookier in the American version.   The character of the ex-husband is far superior in the Japanese version.  He is more developed and far more interesting as opposed to the American version who just seems like a tool.  Conversly, the kid or the reporter's son is much more creepy in the American version.  I much preferred the second half of the film in the original as I think the story was stronger.  The "horse" scene in the American film was laughable.  But the "well" scene, I preferred the remake.  It got to the point and was scarier.  I probably preferred the original more probably because of the second half was stronger than the remake.  But they are different films.  The American one is more of a mystery/investigative film.  Whereas the Japanese one, incorporates folklore and the "ghost" aspect more.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I prefer The Ring remake, but they really could have put more effort into Noah. That’s where Ringu is better.

Ballsy

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I also prefer the American version.

The Enforcer - This is the dud of the franchise. It had a decent story to work with...threats to bomb Frisco and then the kidnapping of the mayor...but it's just background noise while the real story is the novelty of Harry working with a female partner.

The criminals are never portrayed as being a real threat. The cops don't make a big deal out of it, the city doesn't appear to give a shit...it just fizzles out.

Killing his partner at the end was unnecessary.

Groundhog Day - This wasn't as good as I remembered it. It's not very funny...funniest thing is how he always hears 'I Got You Babe' on a loop. I never could stand Andie McDowell and that hasn't changed with time.

I also didn't like how there's no explanation for why any of it is happening.

State of Play - I'm starting to warm up a bit to Russell Crowe. Never really liked him back then. I'll never like Ben Affleck...only movie I can stomach him in is Gone Girl.

Night Train - This had potential...three people find diamonds on a dead passenger on a train. It all goes to shit when they add a supernatural element where there's no diamonds in the box and anyone who looks at it dies.

No Escape - An American family moves overseas and immediately gets stranded in the middle of a coup. I rolled my eyes when I saw Pierce Brosnan...I knew he would be some type of agent that would save them.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Emergency -  Garbage...pure garbage. I turned it off about 20 minutes in.

It opens with a shitty rap song...and then straight into...

Talk of trigger warnings

White people asking why "the N word" is so offensive with black students in the room..who of course mock the white people

Within 60 seconds of a white girl onscreen, we get to hear she wants the black guy's dick

I'm sick of this shit.

The cherry on top is when I went to check out the reviews on Amazon and being informed that if I don't like the message it's because of "white fragility".

I'm on the verge of not even bothering with any new movies and if Amazon keeps pushing this crap to me, I'm going to cancel Prime.

Instead of watching a different movie I watched some episodes of The Rockford Files.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I saw some tv girl being shamed yesterday because her body was healthy looking and she was assaulted by fat chicks claiming she was promoting a "utopian body image". I mean, she was not all that pretty either, just a typical fit body for a young girl who doesn't live at McDonalds. Movies, if not made by these people, have to cater to them.

Coherence (2013)

This movie cost like 50k to make. A year or two back I used this site called "Find a movie" to check out movies from the last 20 years. I watched a few dozens of those highest rated and at the end my conclusion was that a handful of them were okay, decent entertainment but nothing more. There was just one movie I really liked and that was Coherence.

It's about a comet passing by one night, and while it does so one house with a dinner party experiences multiple realities (the whole movie is basically shot inside a living room). Acting is not great but not terrible either. Plot is pretty riveting and the ending decent. Very impressive considering what it cost to make. But that's where we are now. A movie made for pennies has more creativity and quality than a 200 million dollar picture.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I saw some tv girl being shamed yesterday because her body was healthy looking and she was assaulted by fat chicks claiming she was promoting a "utopian body image". I mean, she was not all that pretty either, just a typical fit body for a young girl who doesn't live at McDonalds. Movies, if not made by these people, have to cater to them.

Coherence (2013)

This movie cost like 50k to make. A year or two back I used this site called "Find a movie" to check out movies from the last 20 years. I watched a few dozens of those highest rated and at the end my conclusion was that a handful of them were okay, decent entertainment but nothing more. There was just one movie I really liked and that was Coherence.

It's about a comet passing by one night, and while it does so one house with a dinner party experiences multiple realities (the whole movie is basically shot inside a living room). Acting is not great but not terrible either. Plot is pretty riveting and the ending decent. Very impressive considering what it cost to make. But that's where we are now. A movie made for pennies has more creativity and quality than a 200 million dollar picture.

I really don't get this at all.  What is wrong with being skinny and healthy?   If anything she should be applauded.  Who the fuck wants to be fat and obese?

Thanks for the review on Coherence.  That one is streaming and it always sounds interesting.  When I first saw it though, I thought you were doing a review on Confidence the 2003 Hoffman films.

At this point, it's a waste of fucking time to me to find films made in the last 15-20 years that are creative etc.  Mainstream and American anyway.  I mean yeah I might find one, but then I'd have to go through a lot of turds to get there.

misterID

misterID wrote:

FVAWycFVUAAGUDI?format=jpg&name=large

Board footer