You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Pecker - A quirky late 90s comedy. It's not bad but they don't do very much with the story. Also there's way too many scenes of him taking pictures. We got it the first 50 times. Christina Ricci in a thankless role here.

This is that period when the industry thought Furlong was going to be one of the stars heading into the 2000s.

Massive drug addiction put the screws to that.

This reminds me of how Chris Klein was supposed to be the next big icon. Spielberg even told him he was the next Tom Cruise.

The Night House - This was a really great horror movie from last year. Had me on the edge of my seat for about an hour or so. I wish it had stuck to the issues with the dead husband instead of veering into another direction.

James

James wrote:

Coming Home In the Dark - I wish American films like this could be this good. A New Zealand horror film where a family on a picnic gets terrorized by two guys.

Something happens in the first 20 minutes that's shocking and it would never happen in American films and if it did...they'd spoil it in the trailer.

I read a review after watching it and I saw the same criticism I had....after that happened, the story can't really top it. It probably should've happened in the middle of the film instead of the opening.

Still a great movie...the actress playing the mother did a great job showing her grief over what happened.

Bully - Hadn't watched this in 20 years. This crime is so fucked up. They were insane for including so many people in the murder... just begging to be caught.

James

James wrote:

1br - Woman moves into an apartment complex run by a cult.  This was pretty good...they didn't go overboard with it like I figured they would when realizing it's a cult.

Little Fish - Another Cate Blanchett movie I really liked but it really needed a better ending. All of that hell for the drug deal not to properly go down. Just walk away? Not buying it. I also liked the soundtrack.

I'm gonna do a proper dig through her filmography. I always liked her but never interested in the types of films she does...the big ones anyways.

The Lodge - I loved it but I didn't buy the premise. A father is not going to leave his children alone for that long with his clearly unstable girlfriend...who was the lone survivor of a cult's mass suicide.

If you can look past that, it's a twisted story.

Violation - It got great reviews (88%) but I hated it. A slow burner from hell that never properly ignites. Way too many scenes where nothing happens and going back and forth between the present and when the rape happened was confusing. That scene where she argues with that couple having a domestic dispute...I'm still not sure when it was supposed to happen.

This could have been improved in the editing room.

The story itself not bad.... dysfunctional sisters trying to repair their relationship and one gets raped by the others husband...which leads to a murder.

This had male nudity in it...which surprised me.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Did you ever watch thief?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Finally saw Top Gun: Maverick last night and thought it was awesome.

Perfect mix of nostalgia, action, suspense and emotion. Those jet fighter scenes on the big screen were amazing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I’ve got to see that and Elvis

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

A Tale of Two Sisters is one of my favorites. I Saw The Devil is fantastic too.

I still haven’t seen Ichi yet.

Ichi the Killer?  It took me a couple of viewings to finally "get" that film.  Also if you're looking for a relatively conventional Miike film, try First Love which was released in 2019.

Ok, I gotta spoiler I Saw the Devil a little here.  I always crack up at how the villian discovers the tracking device and how he gets rid of it.

The Gambler.  Great Caan performance as a degenerate.  It's  one of those quiet, character performances.  At some points, I just wanted to yell at the TV, why are you still fucking gambling?  The ending is interesting and could be interpreted in a many number of ways.

Perdita Durango.  I really can't and won't describe this.  Wild and fun 90s film w/Bardem and Rosie Perez of all people.  There's a definite Tarentino vibe to it.  I've read that this was compared to Natural Born Killers and I don't see that at all.  Maybe David Lynch is more apt.

The Last Seduction.  What can I say, this is still one of my favs.  Linda Fiorentino can be as big a bitch as she wants (that's what the rumors said).  But she kills this role.  I also love how there's some gender switching as neo-Noir is dominated by men.   Also, you can tell she was having fun with this.   

Countdown.  Disappointing Korean thriller.  Inital premise was good/interesting and fine.  It veers into drama territory at some point and loses me.  last 30-40 mins were a drag to the point where I stopped to do some online shopping.  It never helps when neither of the characters are sympathetic either.

Chaos--mystery from the director of Ringu and Dark Water.  Slow moving and gimmicky (flashbacks and going back in time).  But ultimately I liked it.  Probably because it had this 90s mystery feel to it. Had shades of Hitchcock and Coen Brothers which didn't hurt it either.

James

James wrote:

Network - Holy shit...this now makes my list of best 1970s movies. I can see why only Rocky prevented a near sweep of the Oscars.

This film is like 20-30 years ahead of its time. News as garbage entertainment...foreign country buying our corporations...hell...it even predicted scripted "reality" shows.

I'm gonna have to watch this again.

Changing Lanes - I'm starting to warm up to Affleck. This movie was really good but Samuel Jackson pretty much carries it.

misterID wrote:

Did you ever watch thief?

Not yet. Haven't watched much Tubi this week. Maybe I'll watch it tonight.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

You never saw Network before? Man, you've been missing out.

A type of movie you wonder why it was ever made. They Live you can understand because Carpenter is a wacky independent filmmaker who can do what he wants, but Sidney Lumet was a studio guy, household name. Guess it was just that wild part of the seventies where you were allowed to do anything and even the conservative studio heads were ready to approve it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Guess it was just that wild part of the seventies where you were allowed to do anything and even the conservative studio heads were ready to approve it.

That's what it was.  There wasn't as much pressure to crank out box office hits.  So director's could indulge in "personal projects" that were creative and interesting.  There was alot more freedom.  Don Siegel could crank out a hit like Dirty Harry and then in the next year release something a bit different like Charley Varrick.

There was a lot more variety in films.  I think the 90s (parts of it anyway) have that  feel to it as well.

Board footer