You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

faldor wrote:

Finally got around to seeing Top Gun Maverick a few weeks back & it did not disappoint. I had heard nothing but great things so I thought maybe it wouldn’t live up to the hype, but I thought it was awesome. I like the original obviously, but thought this one was much better.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Where's Rose -  The basic premise had loads of potential...young girl goes missing overnight and her brother notices that she isn't the same.

In typical new Hollywood fashion, it all goes to shit.

Once again...and this is a pattern in most newer movies I watch....the cast is so unlikeable that it makes it impossible to really relate to or root for anyone.

The older brother... we are seeing the story from his POV...is a miserable piece of shit from the beginning til the end. The parents aren't much better. 

It's funny how the young girl is supposed to have something wrong with her...and she does....yet he acts a hell of a lot worse than she does!

The teen girl across the street he likes and has known all his life...who can't stand him...is also insufferable. In a scene late in the movie(after something major happens), her dad says she's always happy. Uhh... really?!? In the few scenes she's in, completely sullen and she barely speaks.

The insufferable nature of the cast creates a situation where the child actress essentially has to carry the film on her shoulders.

She does a pretty good job with what she's given to work with.  The film has a twist...and certain elements of it are ridiculous (the supernatural stuff). When you find out what really happened to her(and the girl across the street) it lacks any real impact because you didn't like any of these people from the start.

If doing a film with a certain reveal/twist, maybe have the guy not be a piece of shit from jump street.

Why is Hollywood incapable of properly telling stories anymore?

The Babe - This was ok but considering the fact that they had John Goodman as Babe, it should've been so much more. It should've been a more serious look at his life.

misterID wrote:

That’s Baz’s style. He used Jay Z in The Great Gatsby and it worked. Moulin Rouge was a whole period musical with modern songs. Glad to hear Elvis getting a good review.

Yeah and I'm not even an Elvis fan. The only song I have is Good Luck Charm. If a barely casual fan like me enjoyed the movie, imagine all the hardcore Elvis fans.

I should probably download one of his hits albums... maybe the soundtrack of this movie.

On the only other forum I read on a regular basis (Hoffman), there's a guy who saw it in the theater 8 times. 

The HD version is on those movie sites now if you're not wanting to wait for DVD/Blu-ray or waiting for Amazon, Hulu, etc.

Edit

I see it's already on Amazon but you have to rent/buy it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

It'll happen this decade.

I'm looking forward to it...it might lead to another golden age. It opens up so many possibilities....

Prequels/sequels to iconic films

Resurrecting franchises

All star casts spanning the history of Hollywood

Instead of paying 40 million to someone like Scarlett Johansen, pay 5-10 million to Audrey Hepburn's estate.

Movie star salaries will collapse.

The tech would also lead to the creation of fictitious celebs/actors. We're ready for this...our culture already worships talentless garbage on social media. Drown the influencer market in fake influencers.

Downsides to this tech but not when it comes to Hollywood.

This has actually happened now.  They used AI to finish Roy Schneider's last film (he died before completion) and now they are re-releasing this into theaters this week.

The film is called Beautiful Blue Eys.  I might actually watch this.

James

James wrote:

Ocean's 8 - Garbage. They should be ashamed. It's a horrible cast...a total mismatch...they simply don't gel.

It's a few A listers mixed in with B listers and a pop star.

Blanchett looks bored as hell and is phoning it in...she's on autopilot. This is just a check. Helena Bonham Carter in a thankless role. Who in the fuck is Awkwafina?!? I had to look them up after watching it. Why in the hell is Rihanna in this? Was Halle Berry unavailable?

Bullock...who is in the Clooney position of having the movie revolve around her character from start to finish....is too sullen to fill the position. It simply doesn't work. For starters...this is supposed to be a comedy drama....so where's the comedy?

I know I criticized the Ocean franchise for having too much fun on the set to the point they're winking at the audience...but this film goes too far in the opposite direction. You can tell they are not really familiar with one another. They come off really stiff.

The only actress who looks like they might be enjoying this is Anne Hathaway. The story should probably revolve around her...not Bullock.

Something happens in the beginning that really pissed me off and was an early sign this was going to be a dud....

Right after Bullock gets out of prison...it's a carbon copy of the Oceans 11 intro when Clooney gets out....she goes to the mall to shoplift perfume/makeup. This is absurd. A talented career criminal is not going to risk getting thrown back in prison over nickel and dime shit like this.

Another thing....if she's so poor as insinuated at the beginning, why is she wearing such nice clothes?!?

It's simply a disaster and it doesn't deserve its rating (68%). Bullock too sullen to be the ring leader, Blanchett isn't effective in what is supposed to be the Brad Pitt role in the story because she doesn't seem to give a shit.

The Kardashians role must have been really small because I didn't even notice them...thank God. There's some scenes at the gala with a bunch of celebrities...I assume they are mixed in with them.

I also didn't like how they say Clooneys character is now dead...yet they later insinuate he might have faked his death. Why even bring it up if you're not going to fully commit either way? You can do this film without the need to bring up his character regardless of the fact Bullock is his sister.

Edit

Wrestling Ernest Hemingway - This is like Grumpy Old Men in a different setting starring Robert Duvall and Richard Harris.

I liked it...but the best thing about it is the subplot with Duvall having a crush on the waitress....played by Sandra Bullock right before she gets famous. He eats at the diner every day and orders the exact same thing...a bacon sandwich.

Duvall is such a good actor...that look on his face and the change in tone when he finds out Bullock is quitting her job and getting married...not just anyone could pull that off. I really feel sorry for him...he loves someone he knows he can't have. I think this film would've been better had they focused more on this. So many people could relate to it.

The final scene between them when Duvall rides the bike to her house falls a bit flat. He wanted to take her to that dance. He ends up falling asleep in that chair and then it cuts to him and Harris riding back home.

I wanted to see what the gift was that he placed on her coffee table.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

It'll happen this decade.

I'm looking forward to it...it might lead to another golden age. It opens up so many possibilities....

Prequels/sequels to iconic films

Resurrecting franchises

All star casts spanning the history of Hollywood

Instead of paying 40 million to someone like Scarlett Johansen, pay 5-10 million to Audrey Hepburn's estate.

Movie star salaries will collapse.

The tech would also lead to the creation of fictitious celebs/actors. We're ready for this...our culture already worships talentless garbage on social media. Drown the influencer market in fake influencers.

Downsides to this tech but not when it comes to Hollywood.

This has actually happened now.  They used AI to finish Roy Schneider's last film (he died before completion) and now they are re-releasing this into theaters this week.

The film is called Beautiful Blue Eys.  I might actually watch this.

Yeah we're getting close.

Did you ever see this commercial from a few years back?

While she looks a tad cartoony, it's serviceable.

Another example... although not the same thing...is how Pesci and Deniro we're de-aged for The Irishman.

James

James wrote:

Burial - Damn ..this was a let down. I had been waiting months for this. The premise is solid... transporting Hitler's body back to Russia and shit hits the fan...but it falls apart quickly and reveals itself to be the B movie it really is.

I'd like to see a different filmmaker tackle the subject.

Cocktail - Yikes. Is this Cruise's worst film?

I have a feeling the only reason this didn't wind up being such a massive bomb that it ruins his career is because the film features two of the biggest hits of 1988.... Kokomo and Don't Worry, Be Happy.

I didn't remember Gina Gershon in this film. That was a surprise. I only remembered Shue.

James

James wrote:

The Talented Mr. Ripley - This was amazing. I should've watched this 20 years ago. I was already sick of hearing about Damon and Affleck at that point so it was an instant pass for me.

Great setting...Europe in the 1950s. It has a surprise/twist in the middle that I wasn't expecting. Great cast...Damon, Law, and Paltrow.

Im a bit surprised this never got a sequel. It ends with the possibility. I looked it up after watching it and the book got four sequels.

Tiger House - This was a dud. It's about a teen girl who sneaks into her boyfriends room and then a home invasion happens. The invaders are all ex military...yet they make really stupid decisions and get their asses kicked one by one by this girl. It's not believable.

The movie has a really shitty intro...it's a home video of her and her boyfriend. He pulls out a crossbow, she wants him to put it away, and he ends up accidentally shooting her in the leg.

My first thought is...why is she still with him?

The twist sucks but I had already checked out of the story at that point.

I wish I still liked going to theaters. I really want to watch this....

Looks great and it has a 92% rating.

Hopefully it hits the movie sites soon.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Death of Stalin (2017)

This one is pretty good. It is a comedy but it also serves as a fairly accurate history lesson. The writers know their stuff.

Buscemi is the lead role as Krutkchev and you see the power struggle after Stalin through humorous glasses. The characters and writing are so good in this I wish they had included more of Stalin. The film is best in the first act while he is still alive.

James

James wrote:

I loved that too. I need to watch it again. Buschemi as Kruschev sounds laughable on paper ...but he does a great job. Jeffrey Tambor was awesome too...I hadn't seen that guy in years.

Agreed on the first act. They barely give us a taste...and I love how they constantly kissed his ass, mainly out of fear.

Yeah they somehow stick to the facts. Been ages since reading about Stalin but I remember how they were scared of him even when he was dying.

They did a good job with the power vacuum and how they're all jockeying for position.

I love that scene when Beriya is about to be executed and he begs for his life.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Buscemi is ace, always is.

The best part about this movie is that the comedy is not very exaggerated. When the guards are afraid to open the door, or Buscemi clowning around in the Central Committee, that all happened. Krutchev's survival mechanism was being the butt of all jokes, acting a clown. When Beria walks through the corridors and you hear people being shot left and right, that is a little exaggerated but not by much. Despite the comedy you feel an incredible sense of realness, almost like watching the real thing.

Der Untergang which is supposed to be this high brow, serious movie is in my opinion a lot less true to reality than The Death of Stalin. The way they portrayed Goebbles in that movie was completely ridiculous, way over the top, and Hitler too. Who on earth would follow that man?

Board footer