You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

I don't think we'll ever get a movie that properly shows the insanity of the Third Reich. For starters... it's simply too controversial. Also too many conflicting stories.

I've always wanted a movie to show what was going on in the bunker based on several witnesses... including the bodyguard....

Hitler in such a fucked up state, likely from withdrawals, that he's soiled in piss and shit with food crumbs on his coat and he's being ignored and even disrespected by his guards...such as smoking in his presence. He was even being carried from room to room at some point.

Rabbit Hole - A snoozefest starring Nicole Kidman where her and her husband are dealing with the death of their young son Very little actually happens. Husband almost has affair...she starts talking to the teen who ran over her son... some tension with her mom. Didn't deserve its high rating.

The Bourne Ultimatum - I just can't get into this character or series. I can't get over my dislike of Damon in these films even though I can overlook it in something like The Martian.

The choreographed fights are too much and made me roll my eyes. On top of that, I can't buy Damon as a bad ass.

Maybe I should have started with the first film but I don't think it would've made much of a difference.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The Bourne Ultimatum - I just can't get into this character or series. I can't get over my dislike of Damon in these films even though I can overlook it in something like The Martian.

The choreographed fights are too much and made me roll my eyes. On top of that, I can't buy Damon as a bad ass.

Maybe I should have started with the first film but I don't think it would've made much of a difference.

First film is the worst one for me.  He had zero chemistry with the female co-star Framke Potempe (Run Lola Run actress).  It seemed like they were constantly annoyed at one another.  I never got the praise for the series either.  It's just kinda there for me.  Not the worst thing in the world.  But you watch it once and forget about it and never watch it again.

Freejack...not really sure what Hopkins was doing in this post Silence of the Lambs.  It's got a B movieish quality that drags it down a little.  Might be one last few films that Emilo Estevez plays the lead.  It has an interesting premise that gets tossed aside in favor of a guy on the run plot.  Of all the actors in this, Mick Jagger seems to care the most and gives the best performance.  This isn't bad or anything.  It's one of those things you watch if nothing is on.  Note if anyone is looking for a decent 90s Estevez film, give Judgement Night a view.  That one is way better than this one.

Scissors...weird plot, sort of goes all over the place.  Reason to watch this is to watch Sharon Stone play a schizo psycho and emotionally damaged person.  If you buy into the performance, it's the only reason you'll ever need to watch this film.  I enjoyed it.

Revanche ...Austrian film.  Oscar nominated in 2009 or 08.  Very European, slow burner type.  Thankfully because of that it will never be remade.  A lot of stuff to unpack here from socioeconomic differences to grief and the randomness of life and how different emotions are felt by people who experience an event/incident.  Also, what exactly is the meaning of revenge?  Second time watching this and it was way better this time around.  It's more of a drama than a thriller to me.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I love the Bourne identity series. It changed modern film in a big way. Mission Impossible and Bond films took A LOT from the Bourne Films.

James

James wrote:

Im waiting on Barbarian and Clerks 3 to hit the movie sites in HD.  Haven't watched movies the past few days. Been watching episodes of the Golden Girls... first couple seasons. While I know there's good episodes in later seasons, the series got ridiculous... especially how they made Rose dumber than a fencepost. Her being an airhead started from jump street but they took it way too far.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Rewatched "There Will Be Blood" tonight as I wanted my girlfriend to see it. It's as good as I remembered. Definitely a slow burner, but I just love that final scene....

Hidden Text:

When Daniel gets the preacher Eli to admit that he has been a false prophet all along and that God is a superstition. Theres just something I love about Eli devoting his entire life to church, only to finally admit that it's all bullshit mere seconds before he gets killed. I also love the revelation that the oil-filled land Eli is trying to sell has already been drained dry by Daniel..... I drunk your milkshake!! 16

Have also been re-watching the Alien series. I'll never tire of the retro-futuristic asthetic of these films. Alien is my favourite, Aliens has some great character development for Ripley, Alien 3 Directors Cut is a major improvement on the theatrical release, Alien Resurrection has some great action sequences but leans a bit too far with the cheesy dialogue, Prometheus is severely underrated and has some killer sequences like the abortion scene, and Covenant has some cool VFX and tries to take the series in a new direction (though it failed at the box office). I love the Alien franchise and can't wait for the new TV series and movie that are in the works big_smile

James

James wrote:

Covenant ruins everything that was being built up in Prometheus. I would've liked to see a genuine sequel to Prometheus...it certainly deserved one.

It's unfortunate that Aliens never got a proper sequel. I know there was a script for one years ago but nothing ever happened with it. There had to be a better way to handle Aliens 3 without killing Newt and Hicks.

Yeah There Will Be Blood one of the best films of that decade.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Extreme Measures... I think this tanked because it looked like a "hospital thriller" and that audiences probably didn't like Hugh Grant straying from his rom com stuff.  But  he's fine here.  And this is an interesting conspiracy thriller from the 90s.  Hackman doesn't get as much screen time as one would think but he does provide the film with it's main dilmena. 

True Believer..  another conspiracy thriller.  This one has James Woods chewing up the scenery.  And I love him for it.  There's kind of an underlying "hippie/flower power" generation loses all their idealism and enthusiasm vibe early in the film.  Woods is an acquired taste, you either like the manic energy that he brings (especially when he was the lead actor) or you don't .  I agree with Lofton, Downey Jr.  role was kinda wasted especially in the second half when he just kind of became a gofer.  Oh, I love the late 80s unsanitized NYC setting as well.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
James wrote:

It's unfortunate that Aliens never got a proper sequel. I know there was a script for one years ago but nothing ever happened with it. There had to be a better way to handle Aliens 3 without killing Newt and Hicks.

I heard recently that the original script for Alien 3 has been turned into an audio drama and apparently it's awesome. I've not checked it out yet as I only really listen to audiobooks when travelling but definitely plan to check it out.

Edit: https://www.audible.com/pd/Alien-III-Au … B07QY3KR81 - Found the link. "Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen reprise their iconic roles as Corporal Hicks and Bishop from the 1986 film Aliens." 22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love the alien movies!

For me the original 2 are in a league of their own filmmaking wise. Just genius.

Alien 3 I struggle to get past what the way it undermines the previous film. That said I enjoy the way it looks and a few of the elements of it and the general mood - I just would have altered parts of the plot lol.

Alien 4 I think is great although it's starting behind the 8 ball after the previous movie but overall it's a good fun romp of a film. Only thing I don't like about it (other than plot choices forced on them from Alien 3) is the removal of the company - that's a bad idea. But great cast.

Prometheus, I agree this movie is deeply underrated. It's shockingly beautiful. Everything in the movie is just visually amazing. So much subtext and lore going on too, it's one of those movies you can take a massive deep dive into.

Covenant - I think this suffered from trying to do two things at once. The studio made him go back to the traditional monster - but if you want a straight up alien reboot there's way too much robot stuff. Alternatively for people who wanted a straight up Prometheus sequel going further into mythology it sort of suddenly shuts all that down to close off with an accelerated remake of alien. So it sort of tries to do two things and pleases neither crowd. That said....come on it looks fucking amazing....there's so many under rated moments in this movie too. It's a lot better than people give it credit for...I think when scott is gone people will start making more rubbish popcorn alien films and these will be rediscovered for the art they were.

That said...my only issue with Prometheus and Covenant is that some of the fun in Alien 1 is the straight up mystery of the space jockey sequence and never knowing...so in some respects the whole idea of a prequel is a bad idea. Like sometimes questions are better than an answer. But I love what they did anyways as it's own thing.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Alien 3 is quite the achievement considering the chaotic production and many rewrites. Not perfect because of all those things but there is a lot to like about the movie. There is dramatic depth that is absent from the other movies. The cast is very good. The music is superb. I'd also say it is the most scary due to the location and the way it is shot. Studio execs wanting to go cheaper may actually have turned out better in this case. The wooden monastery in space was a weird idea. Not sure it would have added much to the alien horror aspect. The labyrinthine tunnel complex in the dark, cold underground adds much more to the fear factor. Also having inmates instead of monks.

My favorite part though is how they just kill off Hicks and Newt in the opening credits. Cameron knows entertainment but it was a really dumb idea to include a child and a love interest in a horror franchise. They had to go and I love how ruthless they are about it. Adds to the movie and the franchise as a whole. It's a serious business and there aren't any happy endings.

Board footer