You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

You guys stop watching movies?

I've been on a Law and Order kick for weeks.

Currently watching season 5.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

No more than usual actually. Right now I'm watching the french Count of Monte Cristo with Depardieu.

I think it's Depardieu's best role. His physical presence is critical to the appearance of the count. No, he shouldn't look like that being in prison for so long, but it helps the image of him as this imposing, god like figure. It's a tv production so the sets aren't all that, but the casting is great with a lot of good actors. French is a very beautiful sounding language.

You wouldn't want to watch an old movie with me. When I see a good scene I often rewind to watch it again or pause it to just take in the imagery. If the movie is mediocre but with some good scenes I will just fast forward over all the bad parts.

The opening scene of the first Mission Impossible. The very first image when Estevez is watching the surveillance footage. Why I love this shot I don't know. Maybe just the composition, or that the camera zooms in on a mini movie while Estevez sits still as if inanimated. Later, at the start of the train scene, the establishing shot of the train with the speed and the music, it's such an awesome shot to create a feeling of suspense and anticipation. And then right before Tom Cruise goes to the roof of the train, that small shot looking at the entrance hatch with the light coming through. It's those type of shots you don't see in a lesser movie. Camera work is an underdeveloped skill among most directors.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

You guys stop watching movies?

I've been on a Law and Order kick for weeks.

Currently watching season 5.

Nah.  I've been watching a lot of questionable stuff. 

Deadly Games (1982) Not sure how this got a cult following.  This one isn't very good or interesting. The kills aren't particularly interesting.  The best part of this is probably the Dick Butkus scenes.  He had a small role in this film

I've always felt L&O quality falls way off when Hill retires/gets replaced by Thompson and Harmon leaves and Rohm replaces her.  Also and obviously, when Orbach died.

The first 4-5 are the best because they seemed more balanced/or just gritty in terms of both exploring the Law and Order aspects and they didn't just rip something from the headlines and auto pilot the episode around that.

James

James wrote:

I've always felt L&O quality falls way off when Hill retires

Other than Angie Harmon, he's my favorite Law and Order character. I love his style...he basically just sits there bitching at his ADAs.

A lot of humor in this show that I didn't notice in my youth... specifically Adam's bitching and of course Lenny's one liners.

The first 4-5 are the best because they seemed more balanced/or just gritty in terms of both exploring the Law and Order aspects and they didn't just rip something from the headlines and auto pilot the episode around that.

IMO seasons 5-10 are the peak. It's when they finally got a perfect cast and everything gelled. The few cast changes during this period actually improved things....unlike what would happen to the show later on.

Seasons 11-12 are almost unwatchable due to Dianne Wiest as DA. She's the interim DA until Thompson is brought in for season 13.

It doesn't work. Her character is an ultra liberal but she's not respected by the ADAs. She'll tell them something and they'll do the exact opposite. It happens enough to the point it should've been a storyline at some point.

It sucks that Harmon's last season is wasted because of this.

The first few seasons of Criminal Intent are amazing.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Other than Angie Harmon, he's my favorite Law and Order character. I love his style...he basically just sits there bitching at his ADAs.

A lot of humor in this show that I didn't notice in my youth... specifically Adam's bitching and of course Lenny's one liners.

A lot of times he'd be eating stuff too.  So, he'd be taking a bite out of a sandwich while bitching out McCoy for some bad legal blunder.

James wrote:

IMO seasons 5-10 are the peak. It's when they finally got a perfect cast and everything gelled. The few cast changes during this period actually improved things....unlike what would happen to the show later on.

Seasons 11-12 are almost unwatchable due to Dianne Wiest as DA. She's the interim DA until Thompson is brought in for season 13.

It doesn't work. Her character is an ultra liberal but she's not respected by the ADAs. She'll tell them something and they'll do the exact opposite. It happens enough to the point it should've been a storyline at some point.

It sucks that Harmon's last season is wasted because of this.

The first few seasons of Criminal Intent are amazing.

I can agree with all of this.  I've rewatched the Bratt/Martin eps from this time period more than the ones with Noth and Moriarity.  They just seem fresher and less dated as well.  Speaking of bad decisions, I bet Bratt regrets walking away from L&O for a movie career that never really happened.  He definitely could have clocked in a few more years on auto pilot if he wanted.

Wiest was just miscast horribly.  She never had the conviction of the other DA's.  She just was there and never offered anything to the character and was wishy washy.  Was just a waste of time.

Agree on CI, too.  Those eps were incredibly intense and psychological.  It seemed like D'Nofrio gave it his all in those eps and I wasn't surprised when he got burned out by it.

James

James wrote:

I love the food/eating scenes. One of my favorites is when Angie Harmon and McCoy are walking to the courthouse while she eats a pretzel.

Thompson did it too. In the episode where that defense attorney stacked the jury with Jews, Thompson is telling them how it's gonna wind up while eating a platter of steak fries.

I love realistic scenes of cooking and eating in TV/film. The Sopranos did a great job with it too.

One of my favorite movie intros....

One of the worst examples is the John Candy movie Summer Rental. They're not really eating/preparing breakfast. His wife is pouring an obviously empty box of cereal into his obviously empty bowl.

Hate shit like that ... they're not even trying.

I bet Bratt regrets walking away from L&O for a movie career that never really happened.  He definitely could have clocked in a few more years on auto pilot if he wanted

I think hooking up with Julia Roberts played a role in this. It clouded his judgement.

Didn't Carrie Lowell leave under similar circumstances? She should've been on there for more than two seasons but I can't really complain as it led to Harmon getting on the show.

Edit

Out of the entire Law and Order cast, Angie Harmon deserved to become a movie star.

Perfect look... amazing voice. Not much acting range unfortunately but same can be said of many A listers.

She tried for almost a decade... didn't happen....but fortunately for her, Rizzoli and Isles fell into her lap and that saved her career and bank account.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Currently enjoying Daisy Jones and the Six!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Pearl. Mia Goth should've got all the awards for that monologue.

James

James wrote:

Decided to pause my Law and Order and Parenthood marathons and try to catch up on some horror films.....

Halloween Ends - Ugh. I barely finished it. This might be the worst film in the franchise...yes...worse than 6.

Who in the fuck thought giving Michael Myers a tag team partner was a good idea?!?

Best thing about it is the intro with the boy being babysat by the guy. I would've preferred a movie about the aftermath of that tragedy.

I'm officially done with this franchise. It's guaranteed to get a reboot in a few years. I won't be watching.

It's time for a reset of the slasher genre...or it needs to just get tossed on the ash heap of history.

Smile -  This really had potential. It felt like we might be getting a Hereditary level quality film...but got worse as it progressed.

They should've kept it simple. The plot got ridiculous and the Mommy issues climax was cheesy. I had already checked out of the story at that point.

I was glued to the screen during the birthday party when her nephew opens that gift. The story needed more of that.... instead it becomes a semi retread of The Ring.

Didn't deserve its 80% RT rating.

I really liked the lead actress though. The guy who played her fiance sucked. They had zero chemistry. You could easily tell those two are not a couple.

elevendayempire wrote:

Pearl. Mia Goth should've got all the awards for that monologue.

I need to watch this soon. Been on my list for months. Hopefully that monologue is killer because I think she's the most overrated It girl in eons.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

From what I recall, both Lowell and Harmon left L&O for the same reason: to start a family.  Lowell with Richard Gere.  And Harmon with former NYG (now ex husband) CB Jason Sehorn.  And yeah, Harmon was the only one with Hollywood potential.  As much as I like Jill Hennessey, she is basically a tv actress, which isn't really a shot and her.

The Stylist---this was bad.  I mean it's shot well.  But when you have a serial killer as a main character and you kind of don't explain to the audience why she kills.  It's not exactly ideal.  I don't need entire sections of the film on it but the main character kills for no god damn reason.  And she basically pouts in the second half of the film and the thing drags on.  Not exactly why she picked the other main character to stalk either. I liked the main actress but the script needed major work.  This was originally a short and that kinda shows.

The Banshees of Inshiheeren.  Reteams the director and the two main leads from In Bruges.  This is not really similar at all to In Bruges.  So if you're expecting In Bruges pt II, this isn't it.  The humor is dry.  And I found this kind of introspective and slightly depressing.  But it's not a bad film.  It's kind of different and a little dark.  I will say the shots of Ireland throughout the film are uplifting.   My fav character was the sister played by Kerry Condon though.  She saw the situation for what it was and is basically the smartest character in the entire film.

Board footer