You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Whats the opinion people in your life have on CD?

bigbri wrote:

C'mon, when are you just going to whip out your dicks and measure them to see who's top dog. Just a lot of noise and posturing to see who can argue the best.

Hate to break the news to y'all, but you aren't changing anyone's opinions and you aren't getting anyone to admit anything they don't want to.

Sky Dog wrote:

exactly...too old and too jaded to argue subjective shit. I just like chiming in with accurate statistics every now and then. Unfortunately, it doesn't prove any one right or wrong.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The list does not go on and on. For 100 albums, by big name artists, that might be worldly-accepted.

There's probably thousands from unknowns, that universally people love, and the music could be stronger.

I'm not taking anything away from the artists above, or their great works, but some of that is 'pure luck' from catching on. There's plenty that don't catch on to a big audience, and the music is fantastic. It's not because 'only some like it'... it's because the media doesn't promote it.

If the media had hyped CD, like they hype Linkin Park or Kanye West, it'd probably be double-platinum by now.

Never underestimate the power of mind control, and conditioning.

You're also assuming, those are everyone's favorite albums, just because they sold the most. Favorite U2 albums & Beatles albums vary with just about every person I ask. Same with the Stones & Metallica. Only casuals think the Black Album is Metallica's best. In my circles, the revered album is Master of Puppets. And even though I like it all, i've always been a little partial to Ride The Lightning.

And as far as Nirvana goes... everybody knows their best album is In Utero.

16 Everyone knows In Utero is Nirvana's best album? You're kidding right. Dude you're so missing the point. No shit favorite albusm vary from person to person but you clearly said the best albums are the ones the diehards like and  the casual fans don't. That's so FALSE. The albums that will be considerd the best albums are the ones casual fans and diehards alike agree on. ie: the ones I mention among many, many others.  Notce Pop will never be considered U2's best album even though there are some out there who woudl claim it as their own personal favorite? Why do you think that is? It's because casual fans and diehards can't agree on it. And it's definately NOT true that only casual fans think the Black album is Metallica's best album.  Try and understand what I mean by "best albums". 

And now CD's commercial success or lack there of is based on mind control from the media and it's just an "unlucky album" because it's not catching on? . 14:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

All i'm saying, is i'd be more convinced if a diehard told me of an artist, that their 'best' or 'one of their better' albums, was an album off the mark, and financially unsuccessful.

Just like with Motley Crue's self-titled Corabi-album in '94. Almost every Crue diehard i've met, calls that one of their best. But if you go to the street, they'll talk about how it fuckin' sucks, because Vince Neil isn't there.

Granted the Crue is not U2 or GN'R in terms of quality, but think about it. Who's telling the truth? Who's right? Or who's closer to being right than the others? Does it suck because it wasn't a big hit, and only the diehards like it? Or is it GOOD because all the diehards like it?

I really look at CD that way, from a totally UN-biased sense. I love these songs. It's Axl, and a cover band. But it doesn't hurt it any less. I think it's their best since Appetite. That's a personal opinion, and alot of diehards (not all, and not most, but alot) are saying the same thing.

I personally feel we can write off CD as a 'very good album' from the fanbase of GN'R fans. We're who count. Not the media, not the general consumer. Us. You don't like that album, or are not that crazy about it. You're in the minority to be honest. Not minority as in the casual, but minority as in the diehard. Alot of the diehards love this album, and if I wasn't a GN'R fan, and had no clue who they were, and a diehard told me CD was a great, underrated album, even though all the mainstream info I was handed was "it sucks without Slash" or "it's a flop"... i'd be quicker to believe the diehard, who's truely a scholar of their catalog. Not that mainstream radio-phile, who just knows the hits.

My two cents. bucket

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Not saying it's not good to discuss, but most posts on the past couple pages have been the same thing, just worded differently.

Carry on ...

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

I think what ypu'r all trying to say is that Sales doesn't make a great band or album. Right?

I mean personally some of the best bands i've seen are bands that aren't the most famous or sell a million albums.
Look at Dream Theater. They had 1 hit. that's all. Yet most of their music is extraordinary.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

my only point was that people keep saying the album is failing because the music is no good.  That is certainly a viable theory, but one that can't be proven any more than a dozen others.  I've never claimed that the public was clamoring for GNR and they would rule the rock world once again.  I will admit I did expect the interest to be higher than it has been, but I wasn't expecting this album to revolutionize the rock world.  But some people seem to be stating as fact that the album has "failed" because it is no good.  And as bigbri and others have stated, that's only one man's opinion.  So don't walk around like that is gospel.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I personally feel we can write off CD as a 'very good album' from the fanbase of GN'R fans. We're who count. Not the media, not the general consumer. Us. You don't like that album, or are not that crazy about it. You're in the minority to be honest. Not minority as in the casual, but minority as in the diehard. Alot of the diehards love this album, and if I wasn't a GN'R fan, and had no clue who they were, and a diehard told me CD was a great, underrated album, even though all the mainstream info I was handed was "it sucks without Slash" or "it's a flop"... i'd be quicker to believe the diehard, who's truely a scholar of their catalog. Not that mainstream radio-phile, who just knows the hits.

My two cents. bucket

I agree that someone who is just familiar with the hits wouldn't be the best resource when looking for information on a particular album, but  I just can't agree with the notion that the diehard is somehow a more credible source.  The diehard is already biased towards their favorite artist and is obviously a lot more likely to highly rate an album from their favorite artist than the average music fan would be. I am sure there are many Limp Bizkit diehards that praise their second album, but are they more credible than someone who checked it out because they liked the hits and discovered they didn't enjoy the album? I don't think so. So the fact that Axl/GNR diehards adore this album doesn't mean very much to me. Of course they like it because they are fans that are convinced Axl is a musical genius. I think it would've had to been a disaster of epic proportions for the diehards as a whole to dislike it. If this material was released by someone other than Axl/Guns would these same fans rank it as highly? Let's say CD was released by Fall Out Boy would all Guns fans calling it a masterpiece still feel that way? Probably not, yet the Fall Out Boy fans might consider it one.

That being said, I completely agree that the lack of mainstream success doesn't necessarily make it a poor album either. The Replacements were never really commercially successful, but some of their albums like Tim are highly regarded by critics and music aficionados alike. There are many more albums like Tim that don't quite have the commercial success, but receive their due recognition from the critics and fans. So for me this is an indication that the cream usually does rise to the top in one way or the other.  CD received fairly positive reviews, but is this an album that is going to be remembered for the quality and not the legend? Is this album going to be considered an essential album to own? Is this album going to be in every music connoisseur's collection? Or will it simply be an album that only true diehards can appreciate?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Well what you're referring to, boils down to taste.

If a Fall Out Boy fan told me I just had to check out their new album - Chinese Democracy - it's really good, and really underrated, I might give it a listen, with an open mind. If the music is honestly good, then i'll say so. If it sucks - it sucks.

I don't love CD because it has the GN'R name on it. If it was called Country Boy Axl & The Boogie Woogie Band - "Chinese Democracy" - i'd still think it was a great album.

And I also think Strat makes a good point too, referencing Dream Theater. Pull Me Under was their only hit, and yet they are an amazing band with an almost perfect catalog. And they are still mostly underground, and primarily supported by their diehard fanbase, and not the casual consumer & MTV.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

I agree that someone who is just familiar with the hits wouldn't be the best resource when looking for information on a particular album, but  I just can't agree with the notion that the diehard is somehow a more credible source.  The diehard is already biased towards their favorite artist and is obviously a lot more likely to highly rate an album from their favorite artist than the average music fan would be. I am sure there are many Limp Bizkit diehards that praise their second album, but are they more credible than someone who checked it out because they liked the hits and discovered they didn't enjoy the album? I don't think so. So the fact that Axl/GNR diehards adore this album doesn't mean very much to me. Of course they like it because they are fans that are convinced Axl is a musical genius. I think it would've had to been a disaster of epic proportions for the diehards as a whole to dislike it. If this material was released by someone other than Axl/Guns would these same fans rank it as highly? Let's say CD was released by Fall Out Boy would all Guns fans calling it a masterpiece still feel that way? Probably not, yet the Fall Out Boy fans might consider it one.

That being said, I completely agree that the lack of mainstream success doesn't necessarily make it a poor album either. The Replacements were never really commercially successful, but some of their albums like Tim are highly regarded by critics and music aficionados alike. There are many more albums like Tim that don't quite have the commercial success, but receive their due recognition from the critics and fans. So for me this is an indication that the cream usually does rise to the top in one way or the other.  CD received fairly positive reviews, but is this an album that is going to be remembered for the quality and not the legend? Is this album going to be considered an essential album to own? Is this album going to be in every music connoisseur's collection? Or will it simply be an album that only true diehards can appreciate?

In my personal opinion Chinese Democracy wil suffer the same fate as the Cure's self titled album in 2004. Revered by critics upon its release as if they all felt they as a music critic would gain some credibility by praising the album only to turn their backs on it a few years later and  regard it as a "for diehard fans only album".  I understand people love this album but it will not stand the test of time, and in my opinion will never gain a mass appeal. Thats not a bad thing but I'd appreciate if fans could accept that rather than making lame excuses as to why that's the case. I played Better tonight on the jukebox in a local pub and I shit you not half way through the song the waitress skipped it and went right into a Tom Petty song.  Chinese Democracy has a niche group of people who love it. That's cool but NEVER think that if this album were shoved down people's throats that they'd look upon it as an AFD quality album or even an Illusion quality album. Fact is it's just not there to be mass appealing. So all I'm saying is accept it, stop with the excuses and enjoy it for yourselves.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://thequietus.com/articles/00919-gu … -democracy

pretty good article on the CD dilemna

Board footer