You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: "The Spaghetti Incident?" (14 Years On)

AtariLegend wrote:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/rele … index.html

Tomorrow, it's official "14 Years" of studio album silence... (Apart from the "Live Era")

chinese democracy starts now!

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

It's been 14 years of silence...

14 years of pain!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Releasing this album was a mistake. The songs recorded during the UYI sessions should have been a bonus disc to those albums.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

The Spaghetti Incident was the weak link of the GNR catalogue.   I agree that releasing it as an album proper was a mistake.  These songs are good b-sides but for the most part nothing more.  Ain't It Fun is really the only song I listen to from that album any longer.  I'd love to get my hands on the I Don't Care About You video however.  That one still remains a treasure for serious collectors and remains a thorn in my side as I have never obtained it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Personally I love TSI.

I know its not as cool as originals would have been....

But it captures that real rock that GNR was about I think....I love to play "Hair of the Dog" on like 10 and listen to Axl....and "Aint it Fun" is awesome...and listen to Slash's attack on "Black Leather" to the main riff....and and "Down on the Farm" is just cool....

I gotta say 14 years on I prob enjoy this album more than i ever did when it came out, and in some ways I like it more than a lot of songs. Like I'd rather hear Hair of the Dog than say "live and let die"...

Maybe its only me though...but when i hear this album i think of a hot sweaty club...and axl and slash getting up on stage fucked up in the middle of the night and just jamming their favourite songs. Its old school rock.

I know thats NOT how it was recorded at all...like it was on studios during the tours and stuff...but its got that feel to me as if its real like that...

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

Unfortunately, I don't see the wait ending at 14 years.

bba

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

chinese democracy starts now!

14 It never gets old.

While I agree that Spaghetti Incident might be the weak link in the GNR catalog I still think it is a solid album. I still listen to it occassionally, though I listen to the instrumental demos that surfaced last year much more frequently.

David Johansen of the NY Dolls mentioned the sum of $300,000 being paid by GNR for releasing Human Being on TSI. Whether thats accurate or not I don't know, seems like one hell of a lot of money to be paying for one song. Especially since the Dolls probably didn't make that amount during there whole career (until the recent reunion), and GNR covering there tune would have found them new fans. I guess business is business though.

I'll upload the TSI Instrumental Demos today and post them in the GNR Downloads board for anyone that wants them 22

Edit : As promised, Spaghetti Incident instrumentals now uploaded smile You'll find the tracklist and download link here.

Sky Dog wrote:

I agree with James....I wish they would have stuck with the original idea and released it as an ep......Izzy being taken off the songs didn't help either.:flame:   and these demos are just badass.:nervous:

from rolling stone/slash 1990

Thirty-five songs. Thirty-five of the most self-indulgent Guns n' Roses songs . . . It's a lot of material to work with -- like four albums' worth. For most bands, it would take four to six years to come up with this much stuff.

There have been a lot of rumors about whether it will be a single album, a double album, even a boxed set. What's actually happening at this point?

Well, this is like cleaning out the closet. There's a ton of material we want to get out, and the problem is, how does one release all of it? You don't make some kid go out and buy a record for seventy dollars if it's your second record. We're trying to think of a way to distribute the material where each of the four discs of material can be separated, so you can buy the whole thing or you can buy just one. But since it's not released yet, nothing is etched in stone. It might change, and I don't want to mislead anybody. I know the thing that it's not going to be is one big boxed set, where you have to buy the entire thing or nothing. I can tell you that much.

There's been speculation that one album might be released in March or April, then a double album later this year, followed by another single album in 1992. There have also been reports of an EP featuring cover versions of various punk songs.

An EP is probably the direction we're going to go as far as some of the covers are concerned. There are six covers: "Live and Let Die," by Wings, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," by Dylan -- that new version [on the soundtrack for Days of Thunder] that went nowhere -- "Don't Care About You," by Fear, "Attitude," by the Misfits, "New Rose," by the Damned, and "Down on the Farm," by U.K. Subs. They're songs that we like -- it's as basic as that. Each of us has an individual favorite, and at the same time we share some. "New Rose" is something Duff wanted to do, I think. "Don't Care About You" is something I wanted. The Misfits song was Axl's idea, and "Heaven's Door" and "Live and Let Die" were songs Axl and I both thought about doing.

Appetite for Destruction was pretty much a hard-rock album, while the 'G n' R Lies' EP included several acoustic songs. Will there be any radical musical departures on the new album?

There'll be a lot of different instruments. I've got guitars doing all different kinds of sounds and things. There are horns on "Live and Let Die." We didn't get into sampling, but right now, as we speak, Axl is in the studio with a rack of synthesizers, so we don't have to bring in an orchestra for a couple of songs. There might even be a bunch of kids singing on "November Rain," because it's that kind of song. It's very angelic. We'll do whatever it takes to make the songs as powerful as possible.

A children's choir, horns, synthesizers -- it sounds like the group is heading in a new direction.

It's not a change in direction; I don't think we ever had a real direction. But we have gotten a little bit more experimental, I guess. I hate that word -- we've just been doing shit, whatever we felt like doing. This album goes from one extreme to the other, from some very, very intensely raunchy, over-the-top stuff to being very mellow -- and everything in between.

Board footer