You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Sheri?? What about Daeg Faerch? Those two being included means we are getting more of the backstory, whether in flashbacks or not. To include those two at this point really reeks of desperation and no ideas. This is why I wanted anyone but Zombie tackling a sequel. Its just going to be a rehash of what we saw last year.

Since they're going this route, bring back Kristina Klebe as well. We'll just chalk her death up to a nightmare Laurie had that night while taking a nap.

It has to be an 'alternate take' on II because Dimension doesn't own the rights to that. They have to stay a light year away from a hospital.

Yeah, they'd have to either pay Universal a shit load of money, or let Universal distribute it if they went the hospital route, because I think they still own the outlying rights to the concepts of Halloween II & III.

The original H2 had Laurie having flashbacks of her mother and brother, and I assume that Sheri & Daeg's involvement is being overblown by reports. My guess is it'll be something like Laurie's dreams in the original H2, just little cameos. My guess.

The only people in my opinion returning to this in big roles, will be Malcolm, Scout & Tyler, and I don't even know if Scout's role will be all that big. She was pretty non-important until the final act of the film in the remake. I'm hoping the future of the franchise just sticks with the old school franchise concept of Loomis vs. Myers, with new people around for each film.

Gunslinger wrote:

This is sounding troublesome.  I have even heard the rumor that Michael won't don his famous mask for the most part.  I hope this is nothing more than a silly rumor but there's quite a bit of scatter on how Rob is wanting to take this to "another direction".  Could be good...could be HORRIBLE.  If he makes the mistake of Michael not wearing the mask he's already blown it.

Zombie's original concept was to not even put an emphasis on the mask in the remake. He wanted Myers to have a slew of different Halloween masks for different emotions. But the suits stepped in and said, "no. The Michael Myers mask is iconic, you must re-create it". That was the reason little Michael, to pre-escape Michael had a billion different masks. I think that's the reason that when Michael finally picks up a knife and is in Haddonfield, he's got his traditional mask.

Zombie also wanted to do a new Halloween theme.... now this is something I supported. I personally feel the STRONGEST soundtrack of all the films is Halloween III. Chariots of Pumpkins (opening chase / end credits) is like the Halloween theme on steroids. I love it more than the main theme.

I think that what Tyler Bates could do is create an all-original ELECTRONIC-influenced score in the vein of Halloween II & III, in order to bring a new sound to the series, BUT an old familiar vibe.

That was my opinion.

But due to pressure from the suits, that was another thing they were told - you must have the traditional Halloween music, recreated from the original.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

New mask sneak peek!

Here is an early look at Mikey's new face for 2009. Wayne Toth is back on the case working the greatest Michael ever.

front1.jpg

Source: Rob Zombie's Official Halloween MySpace

Mike

Mike wrote:

So it's basically the same mask except for side of the top corner where it's more torn up, I'm guessing the bullet only grazed Michael when Laurie shot him in the head at the end.

Mike

Mike wrote:

Here's news on the release date...

Halloween 2 Takes Familiar Spot
Source:Dimension Films
January 2, 2009

Halloween in October? Not quite. As we speculated here, Dimension Films has indeed shown that familiarity works best and Rob Zombie's H2 (Halloween 2) is now slated for release August 28th. Originally, Zombie had alluded to an October debut. But, late August is the same time frame Halloween bowed in 2007 and took the #1 spot at the box office. Written and directed by Zombie, the sequel picks up immediately after the first entry. Tyler Mane is currently the only actor officially attached. Pre-production begins this month with a principal photography start scheduled for early March.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the looks of it now we're getting a rushed sequel, not good 17

I thought October was a good time for this to be released, I hope Rob has a decent script finished already...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It isn't really being rushed. They are pretty much using the same timetable that was used for the first one.

As long as the Saw franchise exists, no other horror franchise will release a film in October.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Looks like we have our answer of what happened at the end of the last film, grazed...but not shaken.  Call me crazy but I'm looking forward to this movie.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It isn't really being rushed. They are pretty much using the same timetable that was used for the first one.

As long as the Saw franchise exists, no other horror franchise will release a film in October.

And you also make a good point with that, without trying. The Halloween films haven't been REALLY good imo since Halloween III. Halloween 4 was just 'good', and it was downhill from there.

Looking back at the franchise, Halloween II was a good sequel, made in only 3 years from the original. Halloween III was out in a year, and despite Myers' absence, was a solid entry. One of my biggest hangups with Halloween 4, is not it's quality, but the fact... it wasn't earth-shattering after 6 year wait. Halloween 5 was rushed out, but the script was awful. Then another 6 year wait, for a horrible Halloween 6. Then 3 years for the average H2O. Then four years for one of the worst films ever made, Resurrection. Then 5 years for an average remake.

These films aren't that quality anymore, and I think they are reassessing their existance. They make great BO, just on the brand name. The quality doesn't have to be good at all.

So why wait YEARS at a time to release them? When franchises like Saw put out installments each year, to big numbers? And other franchises, like Hostel, are trying to follow suit. I have no doubt if the Friday The 13th remake is a big hit, it'll retake it's throne from the 80's as the "annual horror film", like Saw kicked off in 2004.

Zombie might not be directing them all, but I think the new Halloween franchise is something they are going to start trying to have sequels out each year, or every other year. There's tons of money to be made on the brand name. Quality means nothing, and every year there's a 'Halloween' holiday. No reason not to jump on that bandwagon, the only person they're hurting by not doing it, is themselves.

They've proven in the past, that waiting over half a decade to put out sequels, doesn't mean shit when it comes to quality. So why short cut yourself?

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

While I had my share of issues with Zombie's Halloween, a part of me was always sort of expecting to see a sequel. Perhaps even moreso as the hype factor kicked in, the script leaked (now how did that happen?) and the workprint surfaced. I always had a feeling that he'd be bound to fail no matter what he'd do - the Carpenter film was just a bona-fide classic in what is rightfully considered the golden age of American horror. It's like Mel Gibson doing a film about Jesus - what did you expect him to bring to the table which hadn't been beaten to death during the past two millennia anyway (pun intended).

Therefore, what might've been Zombies undoing in the preceding film, may in fact be turned into a benefit in the sequel. The giveaway is that on a hindsight, I wouldn't call it an earnest effort. 

For starters, the opening sequence of Halloween 2 was the best damn thing in the whole film. The idea of Myers wandering around Haddonfield looking for shelter is an encaptivating one, as it certainly allows the story to be opened up from the close-quarters setting of the original. Unfortunately, we were soon cramped into a hospital without one specific lead character, as Laurie was caught in a coma and the hospital staff was pencilled for liquidation. The film never really pays off, it suffices to set all sorts of expectations and intriguing plot opportunities (don't get me started on Samhain) before inexblicably abadoning them.

What's probably the interesting point in the whole sequel/remake is that the aftermath is described to be seen 'through the eyes of Laurie'. Basically, it suggests Zombie & co would be dropping / downplaying the Michael aspect of the story and pushing him back to the sidelines. I wonder if anyone began to feel the character was overexposed in the preceding film. It certainly a sign of times and the presiding cultural climate if we feel the bad guy is the most interesting part of the story and willingly root for the psycho-killer as we witness his small-town rampage.

While the audiences are likely accustomed to the original slasher formula by now, the problem is that reversing the roles of the main players makes the would-be victims all the less sympathetic. The killer, Myers or whomever, can go along with less of a backstory, as the whole point essentially lies in his alienation. Less human, more mythological, Dracula before the sucker became a sex symbol. That leaves the human characters good to identify with, which also serves to amp up the creep factor. Otherwise, you'll just end up watching a meat rack churning through the motions, which may have some entertainment value as a black comedy, intentionally or not.

One of the main problems in the preceding film was that it started off as a very lurid film decipting the family dynamics of a pack of rednecks. After shit happens, we're expected to backpedal to a Sweet Valley High environment; all the more ridiculous with the daughters sex life as a common topic in the Strode family breakfast table. Of course, Zombie never managed to merge the two time-levels into a workable story - the black comedy aspect was mangled to a point at which the latter half of the film came across as a parody of the Carpenter original, with nobody really getting the joke.

If anything, I'd prefer H2 to be everything the preceding film wasn't, to go further in every way imaginable. Whether Zombie'll ever admit it or not, he was inherently given all sorts of do's and dont's under the pretext of the Halloween legacy, which unavoidably affected his intentions and sensibilites when crafting a remake. The original script, while definitely quite far out there, would've actually served as simply more grimly entertaining version of the movie we ended up with. What followed after a vitriolic fanboy response and the well-publicized 'rewrite', was that attention was given to rather non-sensical bits (partially dictated by the moral police, no doubt), as they were too far into the production to drastically change the concept approved.

As for the concept in question, it is my understanding that Zombie would've preferred to root Myers into the universe housed by the characters in The Devils Rejects and The House of 1000 Corpses, and I can't necessarily blame him for that. However, the problem in this case is that 70's films like Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Exorcist never came from the grindhouse / midnight movie / exploitation environment; they all spawned a numerous copycats set out for a quick buck, and it's these films (a wonderful little sub-genre on its own right) that are currently inspiring the likes of Zombie and Tarantino - as well as the sycophantic Michael Bay, who was clever enough to mention his TCM remake 'won't be as gory'.

In that sense, Zombie was heading towards a decidedly false conclusion when marrying the Carpenter original with his penchant for 70's sleaze. While it's certainly a winning combination against 90% of American horror today even in the terms of general interest alone, the story is also loaded with window-dressing that doesn't end up serving that purpose. That Tarantino car flick (whatchamacallit?) had the same problem; when subjected to exploitation cinematics, the narrative is robbed from its natural room to breathe, as the filmmaker is kept busy with a need to invent more ways to top himself.

Try watching I Drink Your Blood, a masterful piece of B-movie making, reaching the levels both Zombie and Tarantino can only hope to achieve. Strange times indeed. Back in the 70's, filmmakers had the opportunity to walk into a studio and request a modest budget for a marginal project, which spawned the widest array of influential films in the history of cinema, and certainly marked as a coming to age moment for the medium. Now, the children of that era are given big budgets to desperately recreate the shoestring production decisions and carefree counterculture attitudes of the said the filmmakers.

Sorry guys. You can't buy innocence.

You can only sell it out.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Amazing post sic.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly on Zombie's Halloween. One of the biggest issues I had with Zombie's film was Zombie's vision (the first two acts) were GREAT. It was a total breath of fresh air for a "Halloween" franchise that hadn't seen a breath of fresh air since 1982.

BUT... as you watch the final act of the film you seen the Weinstein's and Malek Akkad creep into production. The first time I viewed Zombie's Halloween in the theater in 2007, I walked away with that exact reaction. It didn't take sinking in. I felt it as soon as I walked out. The first 2/3 of the film, felt like what Zombie WANTED to do with the film. A Batman Begins-type of reboot, but for Michael Myers. More of an origin story. Sure it was different, and sure it humanized Michael Myers (the Boogieman element was dead), but it was at least Zombie "making it his own" as Carpenter had faithfully instructed.

The final act feels nothing like Zombie making it his own. It feels like the powers that be at Dimension or Nightfall, stepping in and saying, you must do this for it to be a remake. But I thought it was a revisioning? Yeah, but it has to have Haddonfield (why, HIII & H2O didn't), it has to have Laurie Strode, it has to have all of these things seen in the original. One of the things that makes the final act not work at all, is the fact they are taking that amazing 90-minute buildup in Carpenter's film, and condensing it down to 40 minutes. It makes it feel rushed. In hind sight, if Carpenter wanted to do his own origin, and do a scene-for-scene remake, than I guess the Halloween remake needed to be a 152 minute epic.

Like you, i'm hoping because of the extreme success of Halloween 2007, that they allow Zombie more freedom with H2, and maybe, we'll actually get a solid film. But the remake is the clusterfuck of 2007, and still looks so, and at this time, on it's best day - it's a fair film. Imo, it only 'blows away' films like H5, Curse, & Resurrection. But it doesn't even come close to the first four, and H2O.

Mike

Mike wrote:

Michael Myers Went Down to Georgia
Source:Production Weekly,SpoilerTV
January 6, 2009

Rob Zombie needs a change of scenery. In 2007, he utilized Pasadena and its quaint neighborhoods for his Halloween redo. Apropos considering that's where most of John Carpenter's film set up shop during principal photography.

For H2 (Halloween 2), however, the streets of Haddonfield will be recreated in Atlanta, Georgia. That's where Production Weekly says the sequel will begin lensing near the end of February (not sure where all of this talk about shooting in January began).

Meanwhile, more casting sides were leaked onto the web yesterday. SpoilerTV got the scoop on a load of characters who will wind up dead. Check out those details here. And finally, Bloody-Disgusting is reporting Danielle Harris may be back to reprise her role as Annie Brackett.

Board footer