You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: ARod tested positive for steroids in 2003

NY Giants82 wrote:

It wouldnt suprise me either dude.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

And it's not really an issue as far as the longevity of his career is concerned. If he's lying about his age, it ain't going to change how he actually ages. But where it DOES have a huge impact is with contract negotiations. If a team thinks you're 3 or 4 years younger than you really are (such as with Tejada), they'll give you a longer term deal with huge cash and incentives. If they think you're 30 instead of 34, that makes a huge difference.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

The whole post-strike era is tarnished.. Who did it, who didn't, none of us really knows. Plus, imagine if the Yankees or Red Sox were found that most of their players did it? (A-Rod, Big Papi, Manny Ramirez).

It's all one big fucking asterik. Selig knew it was going on, heck, in a way we all did. Now Seligs trying to look for an easy way out while he turned a blind eye the past 12 years. Just start over with the sport & enforce roid usage heavily.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I love it that gAy-Rod's a cheater.  That is just so fantastic.  Although I will say in his defense, he's not alone.  He has plenty of company and who knows how many other big stars.  Hope no pivotal Red Sox are on the list.  We've skated by so far, but chances are there may be one or two.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

The interesting thing will be, if Congress takes this up again, where will it go? If they really begin looking in the NFL, they may find more than any body wants to know.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Griffey is a first-ballot HOF'er

Maddux is a first-ballot HOF'er

Bonds is not
A-Rod is not (now)
Clemens is not

Watch n' see.

With A-Rod now a 'juicer', it's definitively clear for all to see. Ken Griffey, Jr. was the best 'player' of his generation, and Greg Maddux was the best 'pitcher' of that same era.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

The interesting thing will be, if Congress takes this up again, where will it go? If they really begin looking in the NFL, they may find more than any body wants to know.

The NFL seems to get a free pass for some reason.  Shawne Merrirman tests positive for steroids and gets rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance and defensive player of the year.  Ray Lewis gets charged with murder and is looked at like a hero.  Leonard Little gets charged with vehicular manslaughter that resulted in a fatality while driving drunk and continues to be a key player.  It's amazing what you can get away with in the NFL and people hardly bat an eye.  Yet it's completely uncalled for and you're forever vilified in MLB.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Kinda sucks. I'm not a huge A-Rod fan, but I was looking forward to him breaking Bonds' record since Bonds is such an asshole. So, it's gonna be one cheater breaking another cheater's record. God, let's hope Pujols never tests positive. He's the only one with an outside chance to catch A-Rod.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
faldor wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

The NFL seems to get a free pass for some reason.  Shawne Merrirman tests positive for steroids and gets rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance and defensive player of the year.  Ray Lewis gets charged with murder and is looked at like a hero.  Leonard Little gets charged with vehicular manslaughter that resulted in a fatality while driving drunk and continues to be a key player.  It's amazing what you can get away with in the NFL and people hardly bat an eye.  Yet it's completely uncalled for and you're forever vilified in MLB.

Thats true in the past, but I'm not sure if they could slide by another grilling from Congress. I'd rather Congress keep their noses out, but if they don't, things could get ugly. If they did, the way we all love football, could change drastically.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I have always been interested in how this affects the stats of those players who have used/tested positive for steroids.  Do you automatically just put a big giant asterisk next to their name?  I'll take Bonds as an example:  he won MVPS in 1990, 1992, and 1993 while steroid free.  I remember watching an old 1997 Giants game a few years ago and his physical stature wasn't as different as the 1992 Bonds.  Bonds steroid use started in 1999 so do you view all stats accumulated then with an asterisk?  What happens to players who used steroids for a short period of time like Andy Pettite?  Do they get lumped in with the massive cheaters?  What about Sammy Sosa who has never been shown to have taken steroids?  There have been rumors about him but there was never any actual evidence to support this claim.  If nothing ever surfaces (proof) do you keep him out of the Hall of Fame?

Since you brought this up, former 49ers DT Dana Stubblefield just gave federal investigators information which involves steroid use and distribution within the NFL.  He was one of the football players whose name was on the BALCO investigation.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an upcoming shitstorm involving steroids and the NFL.  However the NFL does have far superior PR skills to weather whatever fallout may occur from a federal investigation.

Here's a link to the Stubblefield article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3889356

Board footer