You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Bumble playing with Lita Ford

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

What about Jar of Flies?

We were initially discussing the beginning of grunge. Jar of Flies was at the tail end of grunge.

Yeah, Jar of Flies was pretty mainstream friendly. I remember No Excuses being played on the radio next to Ace of Base, Lisa Loeb, etc.

I gotta disagree with you here. Pearl Jam, for one, did do ballads.

I included Pearl Jam in my post, mainly for Black, which wasn't even a single. They were being pushed with Alive and Evenflow, and of course Jeremy exploded a year later.

I would count a few songs off Down On The Upside as ballads... I mean, c'mon, Switch Open?

I listen to that almost daily(well, some of it) and I don't really consider any of those songs ballads. Maybe Boot Camp, but that's pushing it. Cornell kept his ballads away from Soundgarden, and it seems to be intentional.

As far as Cornell being a great ballad writer, he's a great writer period. One of the greats. Hell, he wrote that Temple of the Dog record, and they recorded it in like 2 weeks.

Yeah, Mad Season was amazing. Too bad that second album never got further than the drawing board.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

We were initially discussing the beginning of grunge. Jar of Flies was at the tail end of grunge.

Yeah, Jar of Flies was pretty mainstream friendly. I remember No Excuses being played on the radio next to Ace of Base, Lisa Loeb, etc.

I know we were. I was actually curious on whether you considered Flies an AIC 'album', being it was an EP. You said that Sap was an album in name only, as it was just collabs from the Seattle scene.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I know we were. I was actually curious on whether you considered Flies an AIC 'album', being it was an EP. You said that Sap was an album in name only, as it was just collabs from the Seattle scene.

Jar of Flies was recorded by AIC, so yeah its an AIC album. 16

SAP was basically a bunch of Seattle alumni in the studio with AIC. It has the AIC stamp on it, but its not a true AIC record. All of AIC is on it obviously, but the supergroup element of the project puts an asterisk next to it in my opinion.

If Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven had recorded a 4 song EP in 1988 with Lita Ford and Bret Michaels sharing vocal duties and CC Deville and Robbin Crosby on guitars, would you have considered it a true GNR album?

Basically the same thing.

SAP is great by the way. Right Turn my favorite. Listening to it right now actually. Should have named this record Alice Mudgarden featuring Anne Wilson. Would have got even more attention because of the obvious supergroup nature of the project.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I remember Black being played on the radio, I don't know if it was offically released, but my radio station played that thing all the time.  But PJ's had a lot of hits with their ballads: Daughter, Last Kiss, Better Man, YL, Elderly Woman, WishList, I Am Mine.... Nirvana had a hit with All Apologies... And Man, I still say Switch Open is as ballady as you can get.

Smashing Pumpkins, who I don't consider grunge, even though some do, made themselves huge with ballads, starting with "Today" right at the sweaty peak of Grunge.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Jar of Flies was recorded by AIC, so yeah its an AIC album. 16

SAP was basically a bunch of Seattle alumni in the studio with AIC. It has the AIC stamp on it, but its not a true AIC record. All of AIC is on it obviously, but the supergroup element of the project puts an asterisk next to it in my opinion.

If Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven had recorded a 4 song EP in 1988 with Lita Ford and Bret Michaels sharing vocal duties and CC Deville and Robbin Crosby on guitars, would you have considered it a true GNR album?

Basically the same thing.

SAP is great by the way. Right Turn my favorite. Listening to it right now actually. Should have named this record Alice Mudgarden featuring Anne Wilson. Would have got even more attention because of the obvious supergroup nature of the project.

I see your point, I just didn't know if it was an EP thing or a supergroup thing.

But Sap is great. Brother is still my favorite if someone had a gun to my head, but choosing a favorite on that EP is HARD. Flies, same thing. I combined the two long ago on a mix CD, and in reality with both EP's combined together, and the absolute solid mix of great songs on both from top-to-bottom, with maybe the exclusion of Love Song... it really is a masterpiece. Sap/Flies combined is better than Dirt imo. 9

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I've never heard of Lita Ford in my life. The only Lita I've ever heard of was a slutty wrestler.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I may see if I can meet BBF while I'm there to see Loaded at Summerfest.  He may not do it since I'm going to see Duff instead of him, but you never know...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I've never heard of Lita Ford in my life. The only Lita I've ever heard of was a slutty wrestler.

You've never heard "Kiss Me Deadly"? That song was played to death back in the day. She also did that duet with Ozzy Osbourne, "Close My Eyes Forever" (probably the best song), which was pretty popular.

She was also in The Runaways with Joan Jett when she was younger.

Lita Ford is also ALOT hotter than Lita from WWE.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I recognise that Kiss Me Deadly song now, just youtubed it.

Dunno the Ozzy one but she looks no bad in the video.

Board footer