You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Marc Canter Talks on MyGnR

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash's solo album will get a bit more attention than Duff's Loaded revival, but not by much.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Canter goes in to more detail at Mygnr

No offense to Canter, but he can try and rival a sic like thesis, but these types of comments...

It could have cost him loosing VR and then he would have nothing.

Is extremely slanted towards Axl. Now like you said, he knows both of them and is certainly entitled to his own opinion just like anyone else. However, that is an incredibly bold statement to make, even more so for a man who actually knows him.

Love him or hate him, Slash has had the most successful career out of the original GNR alumni, and even mentioning the word 'nothing' in the same sentence is laughable.

Slash can have a POP career all he wants. Cool. For the most part, I think it sucks.

I'm not very impressed with his post 93 work either, and as I have stated before in regards to VR, I only like a handful of tracks from those records. I could condense a best of VR disc into a 5 track EP, and even that would have a bit of filler.

shitty band called Snakepit

One man's shit is anothers treasure. While Snakepit is nothing to write home about, there is a solid GNR album at its core there. Get Dover a light year away from that material, throw Axl and Slash in the same studio for a month, keep working on This I Love, and we're all raving on that record instead of shitting on it. Slash has some groovy guitar work on that first record, and he just needed Axl there to trim the fat and improve upon the foundation that Slash built.

before he hooked up with Weiland. VR actually rejuvenated his career....of course, that plus mass marketing.

It may have been a rejuvenation in the 03-05 period, but he certainly didn't need VR to continue his career. Slash was a household name and entity in his own right long before Weiland stepped into the picture. Hell, Slash was already well underway in his solo ventures before Weiland even hit the scene in 92.

Slash's solo album will get a bit more attention than Duff's Loaded revival, but not by much.

I hope thats a joke. You know as well as I do that this solo record is likely to be a chart topper.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Axl's camp LIED about it since they said Slash wasn't under any influence. Obviously it wasn't the case. Also, Axl played a dirty game and wanted to kill Slash's career (and maybe even the man himself) by telling the whole world about the visit. That's the big problem not that Slash was supposedly talking stupid things.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

we already know pearla nearly tore apart vr....it still remains to be seen whether or not that band will continue....and yeah its fucked if that whole slash goes to axls house was cuz perla "made him do it" though in fairness a manager/wife must be hell to live with 16

the gnr implosion has guilty parties on both sides for sure but if anyone knows its canter....hes been slash freind since they were like 8 and he's been around gnr since forever

as for slash's rep/cred/career VR helped get him where he's at...added the grammy's and an addition multi platinum album but its by no means the be all end all of his career...but remember that this Axl visit happened before gh3 and libertad and talk of this solo album....alot of stuff has happened to help propel slash even higher in the last couple years....but i'm with james i think the slash album will sell like hotcakes

Sky Dog wrote:

it definitely has potential....sounds like he has a top shelf roster.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I find it interesting that people think the Axl bashing is going on at a high level lately.  I'm one of the biggest "Axl haters" (if you want to call it that) here and I hardly ever post, and when I do, it's not usually about Axl.  I think my last post about him was somewhat complimentary.  I think the album and the lack of success speaks for itself...I don't feel a need to pile on anymore.

I also think Slash is far from being a favorite on this board, but his contributions to GnR are treated with respect here more than they are at other boards where people are attacked for saying anything nice about him.  Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person here defending Slash (obviously an exaggeration).  This place is pro BH if it's anything, but I really think it's the fairest board out there.  If Axl's getting shit on, he probably deserves it.  That really goes for anybody.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

Slash is a great #2 man. nothing more.

this board is anti-Axl on average. but all opinions are welcome which is nice.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
sandman wrote:

Slash is a great #2 man. nothing more.

this board is anti-Axl on average. but all opinions are welcome which is nice.

Holy shit!  How can anyone believe that?  And this is coming from a guy that is not that high on Slash here.  Slash a #2??!! Gimme a fucking break!  Ask Joe Public who was in GNR.  They'll say Slash and Axl.  VR was largely popular because Slash was in this obviously he wasn't the sole reason but it didn't hurt.  When Joe Public asks for a GNR reunion they couldn't care less about who else will play in GNR as long as Slash is there.  And even amongst fans.  As long as Slash comes back it'll be GNR again (even though Izzy would be the one to make it GNR again).  Slash I would say is known has much as Axl.  And I'm willing to bet his solo record will be more successful than CD.  Not bad for a #2 man.  As for this board being anti Axl.  I can't believe this.  You have just as much Axl-ite here.  But it's mostly realistic people not worshipping the shit Axl craps in the toilet.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

exactly. the problem is other boards feel that it is necessary to HATE slash in order to justify their love for axl. they discredit his work in gnr for christ sake.

they make no sense at all. they claim that slash's work on the albums THAT MADE THEM LOVE GNR is boring and predictable. ya. really fucking boring...so boring that it gets you to follow a band for 20 some odd years. gimme a break.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

exactly. the problem is other boards feel that it is necessary to HATE slash in order to justify their love for axl. they discredit his work in gnr for christ sake.

they make no sense at all. they claim that slash's work on the albums THAT MADE THEM LOVE GNR is boring and predictable. ya. really fucking boring...so boring that it gets you to follow a band for 20 some odd years. gimme a break.

Exactly!  And trust me.  I ain't no Slash-ite.  As a matter of fact his work since he left GNR to me has been really weak.  Only album I will occasionally listen to is the first Snakepit record.  The second Snakepit album is collecting dust somewhere in my shelves.  The first VR record had a couple good songs but the rest was pretty much crap.  And Libertad....  Well Libertad not only collects dust but along with the second snakepit album will probly never make it's way in my stereo ever again cause well it sucked and sucked big time.  But in no way I would call Slash a #2 man or talentless.  When Slash puts his heart into it, he can make some of the best music out there.

Board footer