You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Marc Canter Talks on MyGnR

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I hope thats a joke. You know as well as I do that this solo record is likely to be a chart topper.

Nope, i'm taking a risky move. I know it seems far fetched.

I think this album will tank, regardless of Fergie, Cornell, Ozzy, among others.

While I'm not convinced the album will tank, I'm also not sold that it will be a chart topper either.  Just because he has a great lineup of guests on the album doesn't mean it's gonna be successful.  The bottom line is the songs have to be good, or at least ONE song has to be immensely good.  Remember Slash collaborated with Michael Jackson on "Give In To Me", that seemed like a surefire winner but the song didn't exactly strike a chord with the masses.  Let's wait till we hear one note before we start predicting it'll be the years best selling album.  I know everyone, or at least those making this argument, is expecting this to be just like the Santana album a few years back.  We'll just have to wait and see.  It could happen, I'm not saying it won't, but I'm gonna reserve judgement until I hear more than Slash saying "this is the best song I've ever recorded" or "this album is gonna kick so much ass!"

AtariLegend wrote:
Axl S wrote:
sandman wrote:

and on top of all this, he is constantly TRYING to be as famous as possible. yet he's not even in Axl's league.

He's more famous than Axl. Axl isn't in Slash's league

I'd agree with "sandman" generally if it was about making music, but on the fame rating... When I went to High School/College, the name Slash was as big as "Guns N' Roses" among Rock Fans.

The general presumption too, was that Slash wrote all the music and lyrics to all the songs that were played on the radio... and that Axl just sung it.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I liked the interview, gotta agree with faldor about this guy having a better insight into the whole drama, with knowing both parties and all. In regards to Slash's solo album i think it will sell reasonably well but won't be a huge hit. I also think the sales will mainly be due to the fans of each of the singers more so than Slash himself. Don't get me wrong i love Slash i just think most of the kids today could care less about Slash, Axl or GN'R which is a shame really but thats what i think. I remember one of you guys posting in a thread weeks ago that you did'nt think even a reunion would be a big as some people believe it would be and again (unfortunately) i would have to say i also think this would be the case. The problem is i think people especially the younger ones are brainwashed with all this mainstream crap and doo bop shit thats currently in the charts, and would'nt know good music if it smacked them in the puss.

The whole music industry at the mo is just one big sorry mess in my eyes, but yet the youth thinks its great. Maybe im just getting old i don't know but at least i got this site to remember the glory days, if only the rest of the world agreed with me we would'nt have to listen to the bullshit they call music now.

Sorry guys for going off topic i got pissed thinking about what this band i love could have, should have done.

Rant over im off to bed.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:

I think the point was, Marc was a childhood friend of Slash and became friends with Axl, and is still "friends" with both of them.  And as has been pointed out, he seems to be pro-Axl in a lot of his comments.  Yet still people aren't believing that Slash could've possibly done anything wrong and Axl is still the villain. And I'm not really speaking exclusively of people on THIS board, more on some of the comments from mygnr. It's a fact that Axl cannot do right in some peoples minds.  That's clearly being illustrated in this case.  If people can't bring themselves to believe a neutral party who was friends with both guys, there's no hope in ever convincing those people otherwise.

I've always viewed the GNR situation this way.  It takes 2 to tango.  I refuse to believe that all the blame lies on Axl's shoulders, but I also refuse to believe that all the blame lies on Slash's shoulders.  Egos got big in this band and they didn't know hot to handle their success.  Plain and simple, at the end of the day they all have to look themsleves in the mirror and take their part of the blame Axl and Slash included.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
sandman wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
sandman wrote:

Slash is a great #2 man. nothing more.

this board is anti-Axl on average. but all opinions are welcome which is nice.

Holy shit!  How can anyone believe that?  And this is coming from a guy that is not that high on Slash here.  Slash a #2??!! Gimme a fucking break!  Ask Joe Public who was in GNR.  They'll say Slash and Axl.  VR was largely popular because Slash was in this obviously he wasn't the sole reason but it didn't hurt.  When Joe Public asks for a GNR reunion they couldn't care less about who else will play in GNR as long as Slash is there.  And even amongst fans.  As long as Slash comes back it'll be GNR again (even though Izzy would be the one to make it GNR again).  Slash I would say is known has much as Axl.  And I'm willing to bet his solo record will be more successful than CD.  Not bad for a #2 man.  As for this board being anti Axl.  I can't believe this.  You have just as much Axl-ite here.  But it's mostly realistic people not worshipping the shit Axl craps in the toilet.

you think slash could get a bunch of no names in his band and sell out MSG? not a chance.

i'm a die hard slash fan, but i'm not blind either. i hope his album is great. i hope it sells well. but i'll also realize that having some mega-stars appear on it will certainly help sales.

and on top of all this, he is constantly TRYING to be as famous as possible. yet he's not even in Axl's league.

Make Axl drop the name GNR which most than likely will give Joe Public false hope that the old band might be there (Especially since they often use old band pics to promote their shows) and have him do a show with the same no names he had in 06.  Do you really believe he would've sold out MSG?  Don't be blind on Axl either man.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love Axl and Slash and both their work.

Do i beleive that slash had a relapse, and in one of the darker moments of internal conflict in vr, that he and perla temporarily questioned his old fight with Axl? Sure thing...i'll take Canter's word on that.

But my point is that Axl's camp is not entirely open minded when it comes to slash. Let's face it - they hate him - even if they didn't entertain his appology due to his intoxication, they further went on to try and publicly discredit him, and try and get him thrown from VR. They've promoted the concept that he ruined the UYI albums, and Axl speaks with venom about him and refers to him as a cancer.

I think both men are great musicians, and it would be logical for a guy like slash to sometimes wonder, especialy if scott was giving him grief, if he wouldnt be better trying to work it out with Axl. But lets be fair here...neither of these guys are saints...and none of us know the full stories....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Without the GN'R name, Axl would sell the same tix Slash would solo.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Without the GN'R name, Axl would sell the same tix Slash would solo.

My point exactly.  Why I made it clear to sandman that Axl and Slash are on the same level.

Sky Dog wrote:

I would say that too. Ax/Slash in the mind of the public are the bastard childs of Mick/Keith...Robert/Jimmy...and Steven/Joe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSJmlvvJkc

yeah, I see similarities.....

chicken_dinner
 Rep: 19 

agree with madagas. just like htgth is axlbot territory, this place has become slashbot territory :3

when u say anything positive about axl or negative about slash, mods jump you like you just said hitler is the greatest man on earth and you are been ordered back to htgth.

here slash has been confirmed by a longtime friend of slash to lie about the axl visit and all we heard by slashbots was, well slash has creds on his solo album. feck off will ya? :B

Board footer