You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: i'm back

monkeychow wrote:

This won't appeal to many, but I don't really see the facination with the 2002 line up.

I love CD as an album. Don't get me wrong. But is it's writing that much superior to what axl wrote with old guns, or indeed what he would write with anyone?

Everything is co-written but to me it seems the ballads essentially come from Axl, and the rockers come from the band.

While stuff like shackers is cool, it's not like it's world better than any other line up could do.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This won't appeal to many, but I don't really see the facination with the 2002 line up.

If you like Chinese Democracy, then fascination with the 2000-02 lineups is pretty much a requirement. The post Bucket lineup did almost nothing during the sessions but Frank pounding a drum and Ron laying down some guitar work on songs.

Sky Dog wrote:

the songs were written from 98-2002.....simple enough.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

personally, i'm not that turned on by the idea of getting my hands on those RB files...the 02 version of the album would be nice to have from a collectors point of view, but at the same time all that would do is depress me even more as to what could have been and how messed up it all became in the years which followed.

the only thing which would excite me from scratch would be some new, never before heard material, at the very least of "You could be mine" or "Rocket Queen" quality in terms of songwriting...not epic, but very good nonetheless...something which would demand to be listened to with some serious repeats.....i wouldn't be impressed with anything less...

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

"Soul Monster"
"The General"
"Atlas Shrugged"
"Seven"
"Berlin"
"Thyme"

That's nearly half an album's worth of songs right there. It's pretty clear, to me at least, that Axl Rose has no intention of officially releasing any more material.

It seems as if (from all accounts) he didn't even want to release the 14 songs we got last Fall.

He's been teasing and tantalizing us on-and-off for years with mentions of how fantastic this material is, "a Christmas card of unadulterated venom," "it's our most Black Sabbath moment. "

That's what I want to hear, the rest of the material, but I'll take what I can get.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

If you like Chinese Democracy, then fascination with the 2000-02 lineups is pretty much a requirement. The post Bucket lineup did almost nothing during the sessions but Frank pounding a drum and Ron laying down some guitar work on songs.

I'm not taking away from the 02 line up being who wrote most of the album, and I do like the album.

But I don't think it means much of it's self, like the reason the later line up didn't do much is because the shit had already been done like 200 times over alreay. How much needed to be added to those songs? we'd all agree the post bucket 'demos'  we're pretty much done. And as someone from the band said, i think bumble, some of those parts had been around so long they belonged there at that point.

But what I'm trying to say is, i don't think the writing team that brought us CD, is inherently better than that which brought us AFD, or UYI, or for that matter what the new band would do. Are the CD rockers really that good? What is cool on the album is Axl doing what he does, which he'd do with another line up, and some killer solos, but there's lots of people who can do killer solos.

I'm not taking away from CD and those who wrote it. But if GNR can make a reasonable  album post loosing slash and Izzy (which in my mind it now has) then the loss of Huge (who may not be gone from a writing perspective) and Bucket isn't the end of the road.

Does that make any sence? I like them and I respect what they did, but they arn't essential more than axl needs any other killer guitarist and good songwriters (which he does - but no need for it to be those exact people to me. )

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'm going to make myself less popular by adding another thought:

You guys know i'm all pro the modern band cos I think DJ and Bumble will rock. But that said....

If we're bringing anyone back we should bring back Slash and Izzy, the guys who made GNR what it was guitar wise, and guys who when they were in the band, shit got done - albums came out, tours happened, and the band existed as a normal (all be it controversial and semi-crazy)  band and they got famous.

But asking for 2002 - what are you going to get? Bucket is a fucking kickass guitarist, but what did he do in GNR, play solos at 1/10th of the ability he shows when playing in his solo records? And write a few manic sounding industrial riffs that while cool didn't really suit GNR's style. what else do you get? A band with two guitarsts who didnt get on, and that lacked any sort of uniformity on stage. That time period also saw the longest silences and most dramatic cancelations from memory (although I could be wrong on that). It also featured axl's voice at a lesser quality than usual, and robin playing worse than in 06 and looking wierd too. Seriously...fuck 2002....i don't get the love for it.

Either give me 2010 - with Bumble+DJ+Chris sitting down and working with Axl to create new and interesting stuff and bouncing off each other. I think that really could be cool, or, if that's not going to happen, (and it might not at this point huh) lets call a spade a spade and get in the time machine, but if we're going back, lets go back to 1987 when there was something truely worthy of going back to!

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

What I think Axl has forgotten is that a band who write together generally write better songs. Its that group dynamic thing where the magic is.
This whole idea of writing instrumentals that are bolted together with Axl coming in afterwards looses the chance of Axl maybe singing in a certain key while jamming and taking the song in a whole new direction. Look at most of AFD and Patience, all done quickly as a band and in a room.

I reckon Axl is good enough to write great material with most any half decent musician. His knack for finding amazing melodies was even commented on by George Michael during the nineties.

Axl has to get off the lonely road he has chosen and allow himself to let go of the controls and see what blows up. That means sitting down and jamming.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm going to make myself less popular by adding another thought:

You guys know i'm all pro the modern band cos I think DJ and Bumble will rock. But that said....

If we're bringing anyone back we should bring back Slash and Izzy, the guys who made GNR what it was guitar wise, and guys who when they were in the band, shit got done - albums came out, tours happened, and the band existed as a normal (all be it controversial and semi-crazy)  band and they got famous.

But asking for 2002 - what are you going to get? Bucket is a fucking kickass guitarist, but what did he do in GNR, play solos at 1/10th of the ability he shows when playing in his solo records? And write a few manic sounding industrial riffs that while cool didn't really suit GNR's style. what else do you get? A band with two guitarsts who didnt get on, and that lacked any sort of uniformity on stage. That time period also saw the longest silences and most dramatic cancelations from memory (although I could be wrong on that). It also featured axl's voice at a lesser quality than usual, and robin playing worse than in 06 and looking wierd too. Seriously...fuck 2002....i don't get the love for it.

Either give me 2010 - with Bumble+DJ+Chris sitting down and working with Axl to create new and interesting stuff and bouncing off each other. I think that really could be cool, or, if that's not going to happen, (and it might not at this point huh) lets call a spade a spade and get in the time machine, but if we're going back, lets go back to 1987 when there was something truely worthy of going back to!

I too would be highly interested to see what the supposed current lineup (with DJ and Ron) could come up with and how they could play the material from CD.  I think if we were to expect anything it would be that that's what we're gonna get.  We're not getting a reunion, and I would highly doubt Bucket would return.  At the very least MAYBE he could pop up and make some special guest appearances at some shows to play his parts, sort of like Izzy did last time out.  Robin I guess could potentially return too since NIN is supposedly eventually supposed to go on a long hiatus.  Maybe if Ron or DJ needed a break Robin could be called in to take their place.

Honestly I'll take whatever I can get.  AFD lineup, UYI lineup, 2001 lineup, 2006 lineup, whatever the current lineup may be.  I'm not picky, but I don't see Axl going back in time and resurrecting any of the past lineups.  Whatever we've got right now and any changes from here on out is probably what we'll get.  Exactly what that might be remains to be seen.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Isn't the whole point of this thread about hearing more music from the 1998-2004 line up?  I don't know what Slash and Izzy have to do with it, or wanting a reunion has to do with it. And I really don't understand the posts that start out with "I love CD and the new line up, but..." and then proceeds to talk about how they don't care about hearing any more of the new line ups material.

Don't get me wrong, I know people want the original line up back together, but does every thread HAVE to turn into that? No offense Monkey, but your post just seems like an open invitation into turning this thread into yet ANOTHER giant reunion vs new line up argument. Can we please not do that? sad

Especially because I'm fucking stoked about the possibility of hearing new material.

Board footer