You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: The GnREvolution Q&A with Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal

gnfnraxl wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Exactly.  I have nothing against any of the members of this "Nu GNR" except maybe Dick but that's a whole different story.

I'm late here, what's the story?

On why I hate Fortus?  *lol*

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

just cuz a guy can jump doesnt mean he's the best guitarist in the world

its not so much Rich's fault by any stretch cuz hes a decent axeman...its just that peopel made so many claims about he guy's greatness before he even did anything that alot of people hate on the guy unfairly

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Neemo wrote:

its not so much Rich's fault by any stretch cuz hes a decent axeman...its just that peopel made so many claims about he guy's greatness before he even did anything that alot of people hate on the guy unfairly

That's not even why I hate the guy.  His talent or lack thereof has nothing to do with it.  The guy does interviews and says shit that are either not true and he says them to sound interesting or he isn't supposed to say them, and then a couple days after makes statements on another board either saying he was misquoted or didn't say those things.  Or he gets asked meaningless questions about GNR such as who came up with the idea for his solo at GNR's shows and he says he can't answer questions about GNR.  I mean come on!  Even though Ron always said he wouldn't be the one to give us any newsworthy info on GNR, if you ask him who's idea it was that he would play Don't Cry as a solo on GNR shows.  He won't piss in his pants and will answer the question.  And if he answers GNR questions he won't come back a couple days later to say he was misquoted or he didn't say anything.  He'll man up and live with it.  That is why I hate Dick.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Yeah I know there were fortus nutswingers around making insane claims at one stage and that pissed everyone off, but that said, I think now he seems to get a lot of misguided hate too.

Fortus is one of those great 'all rounder' type guitarists to me, people will no doubt start up in a moment about how he is a session guy and whatever else, as if that means he's average, when being a wordlcass session guy actually requires a very very high level of musicianship and technical ability on your chosen instrument. I'm not trying to claim he's better than some of the other insane guitarists past/present from GNR or anything like that, but I do genuinely believe a lot of people who who throw jabs at his playing online, are seriously misguided about his skills.

For my money, while paul is clearly a good writer, Fortus brings an exciting stage presence and very reliabile live abilities to the band, and i'm glad he's a member.

gnfnraxl wrote:

The guy does interviews and says shit that are either not true and he says them to sound interesting or he isn't supposed to say them, and then a couple days after makes statements on another board either saying he was misquoted or didn't say those things.  Or he gets asked meaningless questions about GNR such as who came up with the idea for his solo at GNR's shows and he says he can't answer questions about GNR.  I mean come on!

I don't think that's very fair though. I mean pretty much no one in the band speaks freely and fully openly about GNR. They seem to suggest that it causes less problems this way. Bumble does his best to interact with fans despite this, and dances the line well between giving us information and causing fan meltdowns. But i can see this wouldn't be a skill everyone has.

Now the politics of why so much is secret in GNR is a different matter, and it's clearly not something in richards control or choice how GNR should be run. But my point is: I think richard tried to reach out to fans a few times, and tried to interact with the fan base, but didn't realise that his statements would be jumped upon with quite such enthusiasm, and so now avoids questions. I don't see it as him being a bad guy, I think maybe he just isn't a media skilled player who will know how to say enough but not get tricked into saying too much by a reporter, and for that reason, given the band ethos is to keep much information private, he chooses not to create issues for himself by avoiding GNR topics now.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm fairly sure I make the final two.

That's actually what I alluding to. Probably you and myself in the final round.

And I think that sucks.  Just because my passion for Guns N' Roses doesn't jive with the current situation, I'm labeled as being bad.  There's nothing bad about me.  I'm opinionated, and I believe what I believe, but 95% of the time when I say something deemed inflammatory, it isn't just some random attack on someone or something.  I back up what I say with reasoning (almost always) and facts (when possible).  Yes, some of my reasoning is taken by others as me stating a fact, but I can't control that part of it.

I think any band should be excited to have someone like me as a fan - someone that cares as much as I do about the reputation of the band and how it is viewed by others.  Maybe I shouldn't care that Axl is tarnishing the band with what he's done.  Maybe I should just say "It's okay because nobody really considers this GnR anyway" and let it go.  I can't do it. 

I think Ron is a great guy.  I'm glad he is in the mix as a touring musician.  Hopefully he'll get to write with Axl at some point.  I think he does what he can and wishes he could do more.  He is by far the best thing to happen in the current era from a PR standpoint.  He's not self promoting any more than anybody else would, in fact I'd argue he does less than most do.  He's been great, but he's not a member of Guns N' Roses any more than I am.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. You, along with gnfnraxl, James, myself, DCK, -D-, Mick, Smoking Guns, mygnrsucks... i'm sorry if i'm forgetting anyone... are what I refer to as 'realists'.

We LOVE GN'R. Probably more so than any new era nutswinger. It took me years to wrap my mind around that. Because I used to also be the Axlite, that would just call "Slashite" on someone who was old Guns... but the reality is, the fans with the most passionate love, are the ones who give constructive criticism to Axl.

It might come across as "rooting for him to fail", but it's never been that. We're rooting for him to succeed, because we love him that much. We want GN'R to be GN'R, and for that legacy to be popular. And no matter how many times Axl wants to rant and rave about "I didn't make that decision", "Slash is a cancer", blah blah blah... it was Axl who single-handedly ran the legacy of the band into the ground, simply out of spite. Just 'cause he could.

And when he's presented time and again with how to redeem himself, he continues to destroy his legacy, just to show us/the world, he can.

It all comes full circle to the same bottom line that's been out there for years...

...if Axl doesn't care - why should we?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Realists. Now that's a new category in the world of GNR fans. There should be more of those.

Axl has proven, several times, he can't run this band the proper way. May not be his fault, may be all his fault, may be a mix of the two, but it doesn't make it any more less true.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
DCK wrote:

Realists. Now that's a new category in the world of GNR fans. There should be more of those.

Axl has proven, several times, he can't run this band the proper way. May not be his fault, may be all his fault, may be a mix of the two, but it doesn't make it any more less true.

The realists category has always been there.  And I agree that Axl can't run this band properly.  He's proven this many many times.  And Axlite.  We do wanna see Axl succeed and see GNR being GNR.  Wether that be via a reunion or with the new guys.  Unfortunately I think we care more about this than Axl does.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axl wanna do things his way. Which contradicts everything about making music and releasing them the traditional way.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's gotta be organic, and the sad part is, no way in GN'R land, even with a reunion, would that ever happen.

In fact, i'd say there would be MORE pressure to deliver a memorable Guns N' Roses record, if it were backing a reunion. It'd be Chinese Democracy x 5.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

That's not my only issue with the guy. My dislike of him is well known on these sites, but the main thing that rubs me the wrong way regarding Fortus is his need for self promotion. His "I wont talk GNR to GNR fan sites, but please come check out my band you don't give a shit about" schtick is vomit inducing. He isn't interesting in any regard, although I will give him props for saying Kala was one of the best albums of 2007.

The few times he does mention GNR, he immediately retracts the irrelevant info given.

Now whether or not someone here likes Ron or not, he does NOT dick around fans like that. He keeps it real. He did not shamelessly plug solo ventures in that Q&A, and didn't do it before either. He only brings that stuff up when asked, which is how it should be.
So anyone saying this Q&A was horse shit needs to go read some of the other Q&A's given over the years by these guys, and then come back and read this one.

As far as this reunion stuff goes, there's a thread for reunion discussion about two threads down from this one.

Board footer