You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chinese Democracy - will you or won't you

Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:
Acekicken wrote:

First off Im Guns n Roses fan,I have bought all the CDs
Hollywood Rose,Slash first solo Cd & Duffs. What Im saying
is how can you guaranty it will sell enough to cover the cost?

How many millions have been spent now?
Another thing I did not finger point any one out.

What Im getting at is if Axl wanted to put out a feeler
to just get an idea of what could or could not happen. Angel Down
was a good one. I have lost count of the post I have read not necessarily
here but On Guns n Rose forums that say I only wanted the songs Axl sang on.
But IM not going to pay for it?

I do agree that Axl is probably paying attention to Angel Down's sales and also to what is being said on the boards about buying it or the album.   I would be.

On the flip side, be it a negative for Baz and Axl [to a degree] when some GNR fans have only downloaded the songs with Axl but a positive for Axl as far as the songs went over amazingly well with GNR fans who expressed how much they really, really liked the songs that Axl sang on but again a harsh reality of the times.   

As I am one who bought Angel Down,  I can understand how some GNR fans would rather have CD on the shelves available for them to buy, rather then buy a cd with 3 songs that Axl sang on, on a cd they wouldn't have bought anyway.  The next best thing for them is to download those songs with Axl and enjoy them or not.  I am not saying it's right or wrong, it's the way it is now.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Deniz wrote:

Bumblefoot once wrote an article about deleting dloaded tracks if you don't like it enough to buy the album and how he was ok with that. I'm trying to find the article, anyone remember it?

I remember something like that smile I'll try and dig it out later, I think its on his message board somewhere.

Acekicken wrote:

If you where really his fan you would buy the work he's done. Instead 4 out of every  5 Stole it. How can anyone 100% guaranty that will not happen to Chinese Democracy???

Not the smartest move coming onto a GNR forum and saying we're not "really his fan" because we didn't buy Angel Down.

I haven't bought it yet, nor have I downloaded it. I'm tempted to just pick up the three songs with Axl on through iTunes. The one song I did hear (back in the saddle) really didn't impress me though so I've been in no rush to buy it.... it doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Just like I think My World on UYI 2 sucks, doesn't mean Im not a fan of Axl. I just think he needs to be a little more careful about what he releases to the public smile

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I'll buy it.  Not just because it's GNR or because I support the band, but also because it's become such a hyped and legendary record.  Not legendary in that the tracks will change the world, but in the sense that it's been discussed for years and years and never released.  Of course, I like the band and I want to complete the collection, so that adds to it.

Of course, the second it leaks I'll download it.  I did the same thing with Libertad and I bought that.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Oh and on-topic I will certainly be buying Chinese Democracy when it comes out.

Whether I'm brave enough to listen to it is an entirely different matter that I may write up for another thread one day smile One builds up certain expectations over the course of a ~10 year wait. To be disappointed by the outcome would be devastating....

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The good news is that I don't think any of us will ever have to actually make a decision.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Unfortunately it's sad the way that the music industry has gone.  As many people have said long gone are the days of multiplatinum sales for numerous artists.

Yes I will buy CD and I would expect most people on the GN'R message boards to (hell I even bought Baz's CD even knowing I wouldn't be playing it much).  But the GN'R message boards don't necessarily represent the majority of the music listening public, i.e. the more casual GN'R fan.

For whatever reason today many many people seem to think it's their damn right to be able to download stuff for free without buying it.  The justifications of "if I really like it then I will go and buy a copy" I think is a bit of a cop out.

Imagine me going into a shoe store and saying - let me have that pair of shoes to use for a week and if I like em I might come back and pay for them, if I don't I will just throw em in a bin and you get nothing for em.  I don't care if you put money and effort into the process of putting that shoe on the shelf for me to buy...

To a certain extent the music industry brought a lot of it on themselves by charging so much (it was $30 for a new release CD in Australia for years - and still not much cheaper).  They have also been so slow at keeping up with technological advances and looking at new ways to offer the medium to people (and still make money), so they were caught napping and are now paying the price big time - refer to article re. latest Geffen staff layoffs - ony of many music industry cutbacks in recent times. 

The music industry screwed up by taking a negative view of downloading and invested time and effort into "software protection from piracy, napster litigation etc etc" rather than into innovation to embrace the new technology and try and use it to their and the artists advantage, so they are somewhat to blame for the predicament that they are in for failing to adapt to the new environment.

I have to laugh though when I hear people bitching about the cost of concert tickets, or the cost of the merchandising, or about not being able to bring in their own food and drink to outdoor festivals and as a result having to pay exhorbitant costs for it inside the venue.  Well to a certain extent "suck the puss" you brought it on yourselves.  An artist now has to try and make the lionshare of their income from touring and merchandise - so this is only going to go up.  This is a logical fallout from downloading/stealing.

If you take the downloading thing to an extreme end it makes for some interesting thinking and scenarios.  Assume for a moment that all music released by artists was free and available for download (this is effectively the way it's going based on the current trend whether the artists agreed to it or not their work is available for download - e.g. the full Libertad album was illegally available for download about a week before release), then once it is released there are numerous torrents for albums. 

Ok, so assume for a moment that you could get whatever you want from off the net at no cost - just search for it. - No need to go through those greedy record companies anymore.  This situation may sound perfect for some people but I think it would leave us with a bit of a problem.

How would we possibly search through all the shit on the net to find decent music?  Where is the filter medium?  At the moment radio and to a lesser extent TV are the main filter mediums that supposedly sort out the wheat from the chaff (not very efficiently at times and I know in Oz the radio stations are all pretty stale and "safe" with their playlists).   

But seriously, if there are no record companies paying for airtime to heavily rotate a new single they think has potential (why would they now do this if they can't make anything from selling the artists CD's) - they also won't be financing too many new records either I would suspect (so you end up having to do what Baz did and fund the record himself).

So what are you left with????

If we have largely taken record companies out of the equation, then existing bands would have to finance new records themselves, new bands only if they had the $$'s to bankroll their own CD - or at least a recording to put on the net for free download (why waste time with a CD).  But how do the mainstream find these new bands?  They can't tour until they have some sort of following but how do they develop that and get their exposure?? - Post a clip of their band on youtube (amongst thousands of aspiring others) and hope????

Ok rant over - unfortuantely I don't have the answers.  As soon as I do I will make a fortune putting the ideas in place myself cool  Just some food for thought.

To anser the original question - yes I will buy CD when it comes out.  I will also buy a copy on vinyl (if they put one out in that format), I will also buy every CD single, 45' and promo item I can get my hands on - but then that's just me I'm a bit fanatical like that.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Absolutely. Sooner rather than later hopefully. But I can't promise I won't download any more leaks as I don't have confidence it will be released yet.

I truly believe if GNR make a special effort to package the product well, ensure the consumer gets good value for money (i'm thinking standard and deluxe versions of the album), ensure that the cd is easily accessible, build up the release and then promote the fuck out of it (that includes interviews by the way Axl) they will have a good chance of attaining reasonable sales figures. Of course it will be heavily downloaded but there are still a good proportion of people out there in their target market(s) who would relish the chance to buy a cd.

But I'm only speaking as one type of consumer who still likes to buy cds and is a big fan of GNR

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Actually I plan on taking off from work the day it's released. Seriously. Anyone else??

I was all set to in '06 when the tours started. I thought that was going to be the year.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Actually I plan on taking off from work the day it's released. Seriously. Anyone else??

I was all set to in '06 when the tours started. I thought that was going to be the year.

Yup.

I promised I'd buy a new stereo system in preparation and then spend the day drinking getting high and disecting cd with some of my other nutty GNR friends!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't understand the question. I've bought all GN'R albums at least 3 times. I've been hanging on forums for 8 years looking for updates.

Yeah, I'll buy it alright 16

Board footer