You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: Illegal downloaders spend MORE on music than those who obey the law

jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

In the mid 90s(BEFORE the downloading juggernaut) is when the record industry priced them out of competition, and the outlets that still continued to move product were eventually told they could no longer even stock product from the labels.

You nailed that timeframe, because that was about the same time as the huge rise of the used store. 

That was how just about every indie record store I knew of was able to stay in business, they had aisles of used cds, and about one aisle of overpriced new stuff.  I'm not blaming the stores for them being overpriced, they had to price them like that to be able to make any money off them.  However much I may have wanted to support them, I wasn't going to spend $20 for a mass released cd.  If I was looking for something new, it's Best Buy, Amazon, or downloading.  There obviously wasn't a big profit margin in the used stores either, because most of those are gone now too.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Most of my friends don't illegally download and don't buy new music period.  But I've got a couple that do illegally download and don't buy new music.  So this doesn't hod true for my circle of friends.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

Then your friends faldor are NOT costing the industry money.

Why? Because they would've NEVER bought the product to begin with.

This is the biggest issue with the anti-downloader stats. They don't take into consideration that the impulse buys, they account for ALL sales. And that's simply not true, and never been their majority consumer. Yes, maybe they lost the impulse buy. But the reality is, those downloaders who don't buy... would've never bought it in the first place. They would've just went without listening to it, because they don't care.

They just want something for free. They don't really fall under 'music lover'.

Just tonight Dateline or some show on NBC, ran a segment interview Hollywood directors and producers talking about the declining state of the movie industry due to piracy. They talked about how the movie industry looses $6 billion a year on piracy and downloading.

Yet totally ignored and did not mention the fact that 2008 broke Box Office Records for returns/sales.

Total propaganda piece.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They definitely lost a certain amount of impulse buys. I do agree that it didn't account for all the lost revenue, but when someone like me used to buy shit like a NU SHOOZ cassette for 10 bucks just to hear 'I Can't Wait', well that's a purchase that simply wouldn't exist in the 21st century. Fuck, I even bought Debarge so I could listen to 'Who's Johnny'. 14

The movie industry can cram it. They have nothing to bitch about. They will be in a constant boom during the next 5-10 years simply for the fact people will slowly move over to Blu Ray and buy their entire collections again.

They are going to have a boom similar to the CD-DVD booms of the late 80s-late 90s.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This is the biggest issue with the anti-downloader stats. They don't take into consideration that the impulse buys, they account for ALL sales. And that's simply not true, and never been their majority consumer. Yes, maybe they lost the impulse buy. But the reality is, those downloaders who don't buy... would've never bought it in the first place. They would've just went without listening to it, because they don't care.

They just want something for free. They don't really fall under 'music lover'

That's true in a lot of cases, but not entirely true.  The problem is the industry will always point to that guy who has downloaded 15,000 albums and hasn't bought a thing in the last 5 years.  They're out there, and they're music lovers.  Just off the top of my head I can think of three that I know well. 

My neighbor was looking for an album for a while, and we've talked about downloading things before.  He asked me if I knew any sites that might be likely to have it, and I asked if he'd tried itunes at all.  He looked at me like I'd suggested he pay $10 for oxygen.

The music industry will suggest that every downloader is this guy, and it's not true at all, but those people are out there in decent numbers.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I download a lot as well. Quite a bit of it eventually goes into my recycle bin, but a download is a download.

Music I've downloaded this week....

AIC- Black Gives Way To Blue
Beatles Remasters
Bob Seger- Greatest Hits
Buckethead- Needle in a Slunk Stack
Cake- Fashion Nugget
Coldplay- The Singles 1999-2008
Echobelly- On
Goldfrapp- Black Cherry
Goldfrapp- Felt Mountain
Hall & Oates- The Very Best of
Jamie Lynn Sigler- Here to Heaven
Karen O & the Kids- Where the Wild Things Are
Kiss- Sonic Boom
Mariah Carey- Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
Megadeth- Endgame
Muse- The Resistance
Paramore- Brand New Eyes
Pearl Jam- Backspacer
Queen- Absolute
Rihanna- Russian Roulette
Shakira- She Wolf
Slayer- World Painted Blood
Whitney Houston- I Look to You

Albums like Seger, Hall & Oates, Beatles, Echobelly, Queen, and Cake I already own, but instead of digging through boxes of cds to get them , its easier to just download them on my comp.

Albums like Shakira, Jamie Lynn Sigler, Kiss, Coldplay, Whitney, Paramore, Mariah, Slayer, Megadeth, and Pearl Jam are what I call 'shits and giggles' downloads. No genuine interest, but just wanted to check them out. Other than Jamie Lynn Sigler(and only because its not easy to find), all that shit will eventually be flushed. I haven't even listened to all this stuff yet.

Only albums on that list I was actually looking forward to listening to are Muse, AIC, and Goldfrapp.

Only albums I would consider buying are AIC and Goldfrapp.

If the labels have a problem with this, they can just chalk these downloads up as me recently joining the now defunct Columbia House and BMG and I got this crap for 2 cents.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I don't download that much music but if the record and movie industry would make some of the stuff I like more accessible instead of cramming that mainstream stuff down the consumer's throat I would actually buy a bit more.  Funny how they never mention how leaks of products leads to good word of mouth/reviews and help create a buzz.  I think you guys were mentioning Paranormal Activity in a horrorshow thread and that movie definitely benefited from illegal downloaders spreading a good word of mouth on the product.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've never downloaded as much as James, and even that's not all that much.

I might download an album or two a month. And albums by bands like AIC, are instant-buys. Same for GN'R. Once upon a time, Queen, Ozzy & Metallica USED to be on that list, until either integral members died, or they hit sucks-ville.

Board footer