You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TSI
 Rep: 2 

Re: How hard is it to leak a song?

TSI wrote:

MSL--none of what you claim to be true is actually true or has VERY little merit'
What about the role Live Free played? And anybody worth 2 cents can get a proxy server from china to timbuktu, you are out for self-glorification and I know enough not to buy it. Pay more attention to your illustrious wrestling career.
I have seen nothing you have written or produced to think of you on the same level as Coghill, a nobody wanting to steal fame that he was unable to earn on his own!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Can we give the MSL basharama a rest already?

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
misterID wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins are releasing music that way from now on. And I don't think it will work. Not to mention, albums are pieces of art. Down to the literal artwork. Something would be lost if you released a song at a time.

And people are still buying albums. CD sold over 500,000 copies in the US, over 3 million around the world. That's not a bomb. You'd be hurting yourself if you decided to skip the album process.

It's about experiences. It's about the total experience a customer has with your product. And going to Best Buy to purchase music is a crappy experience. Previous generations have been conditioned by the constraints of physical mediums, but an album is whatever you want it be and people rip and mix their own track order straight to their ipod.

We consume music differently now and the Industry still hasn't responded. There is a reason the Pumpkins, Radiohead, NIN et all are using new business models. They have a user friendly character that reinforces interactive relationships. Rear view mirror thinking won't work.

You have less control now over your work and how it is used.

Where have they shown that those ways are successful? Those bands last albums were big sellers. Physical copies of albums. SP just can't keep a record label because of Corgan's attitude. That's the reason he's doing it.

You're theory is based on your assumptions that you're spouting out as fact. iTunes has taken a large chunk out of the record industry. The thing you're ignoring is that people are still buying albums. People will continue buying albums. Not only that, people are buying vinyl again. They may not sell like it once did, but albums will always sell.

And Chinese Democracy is the lowest selling GN'R album.

Yeah, and that means dick. For someone who was just talking about how no one buys albums anymore, and the fact it had no real promo, that just shows that CD was a success... which it was. As your own logic shows, you're comparing sales from 20 years ago to now. Even according to you, you can't.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
TSI wrote:

MSL--none of what you claim to be true is actually true or has VERY little merit'
What about the role Live Free played? And anybody worth 2 cents can get a proxy server from china to timbuktu, you are out for self-glorification and I know enough not to buy it. Pay more attention to your illustrious wrestling career.
I have seen nothing you have written or produced to think of you on the same level as Coghill, a nobody wanting to steal fame that he was unable to earn on his own!

Seriously? This guy played a pivotal role in releasing numerous GnR songs, spent hours and hours doing it, and hasn't lied about anything. You think its so he can send some people to watch youtube videos of his songs? To "steal fame?" What the hell are you smoking?

Do you expect the players in the leaks to remain anonymous and silent? What are they allowed to do or not to do, according to you?

I've never understood the vitriol towards MSL or Coghill, other than "they did it to get famous." So what? Then don't download the fucking songs.

TOTAL LOSS
 Rep: 5 

TOTAL LOSS wrote:

You're theory is based on your assumptions that you're spouting out as fact. iTunes has taken a large chunk out of the record industry. The thing you're ignoring is that people are still buying albums. People will continue buying albums. Not only that, people are buying vinyl again. They may not sell like it once did, but albums will always sell.

Vinyl has jumped from a meager .2% of US music sales to a meager .4%. Wake me up when it goes over 1%.

-And Chinese Democracy is the lowest selling GN'R album.

Yeah, and that means dick.

It means a lot, actually.

The rest I addressed in previous posts, which you conveniently skipped. No one said albums don't sell. I said the medium is dying and doesn't sell and requires new ways of thinking.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, vinyl went from not being made at all to being brought back.

I didn't skip anything. You spouted out your assumptions about albums and the mind of the music buying public and that's what I was answering. You're saying albums are dead (dying), there's no use in releasing music in a physical product, and I'm stating the fact that people are still buying albums, so GNR would be seriously hurting themselves when they just sold over 3 million copies of an album in one year. The bands you mentioned that released music the way you thought they should had big album sales with their last albums despite releasing music over the net. It has in no way proved that it will be more successful, or that it will kill the physical album. There has been no reason to stop making albums. Bands have actually been releasing music over iTunes for the last couple years and its proved absoloutely nothing.

If anything, if record companies lowered their prices, like they should have done a long time ago, it would help record sales a lot.

And comparing CD sales with any other GNR album doesn't mean dick. Only guys with a hard on for CD to be a failure care about it being the bands lowest selling album. You have to compare it to albums that sold at the height of their fame, in that small 4 year window, 20 years ago, that were heavily promoted, and even as you pointed out, in a different climate than today, to say its a failure. But you seem to be the one skipping that fact, even though, as you stated yourself, this is a different climate. Not just in the music business but what mainstream music is today.

TOTAL LOSS

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
misterID wrote:

I didn't skip anything. You spouted out your assumptions about albums and the mind of the music buying public and that's what I was answering. You're saying albums are dead (dying), there's no use in releasing music in a physical product, and I'm stating the fact that people are still buying albums, so GNR would be seriously hurting themselves when they just sold over 3 million copies of an album in one year. The bands you mentioned that released music the way you thought they should had big album sales with their last albums despite releasing music over the net. It has in no way proved that it will be more successful, or that it will kill the physical album. There has been no reason to stop making albums. Bands have actually been releasing music over iTunes for the last couple years and its proved absoloutely nothing.

If anything, if record companies lowered their prices, like they should have done a long time ago, it would help record sales a lot.

And comparing CD sales with any other GNR album doesn't mean dick. Only guys with a hard on for CD to be a failure care about it being the bands lowest selling album. You have to compare it to albums that sold at the height of their fame, in that small 4 year window, 20 years ago, that were heavily promoted, and even as you pointed out, in a different climate than today, to say its a failure. But you seem to be the one skipping that fact, even though, as you stated yourself, this is a different climate. Not just in the music business but what mainstream music is today.

Seriously hurting themselves?

Chinese Democracy had over 3 million plays on their Myspace page with no option to purchase online. An average of 25 people per second. How many lost digital downloads was that? Think about that.

How many thousands upon thousands of phyiscal copies of Chinese Democracy are sitting in a Best Buy warehouse. Nobody wants them. They can't get rid of them.

At least I offer an alternative, you just burry your head in the sand and go on about vinyl nostalgia.

And Chinese Democracy had years and years of build up, the kind of press and media coverage most bands would kill for. Who on earth didn't know about CD's release? Everyone and their mother knew when it came out.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:
misterID wrote:

Seriously hurting themselves?

Chinese Democracy had over 3 million plays on their Myspace page with no option to purchase online. An average of 25 people per second. How many lost digital downloads was that? Think about that.

How many thousands upon thousands of phyiscal copies of Chinese Democracy are sitting in a Best Buy warehouse. Nobody wants them. They can't get rid of them.

At least I offer an alternative, you just burry your head in the sand and go on about vinyl nostalgia.

And Chinese Democracy had years and years of build up, the kind of press and media coverage most bands would kill for. Who on earth didn't know about CD's release? Everyone and their mother knew when it came out.

What are we arguing here exactly?

GnR struck when the iron wasn't hot, the album had no press, and the roll out was massively bungled by all parties. This caused the album to sell lower than expected. Was it a failure? Not particularly. Was it a success? Not even close.

Chinese democracy, contrary to all the hype, wasn't the best album ever, nor was it a bad album. It didn't set records, but it sold enough. Everything about Chinese Democracy (save the music, for some), was mediocre, which is ironic, considering the wait, hype, and effort.

TOTAL LOSS

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
emcitymisfit wrote:

What are we arguing here exactly?

We're arguing about the means of distribution.

I say the focus should be online, embracing new business models, creating new experiences and building interaction. I proposed a subscription based model of content distribution.

Others say "Downloads are KILLING the entire concept of "albums", "there's NOTHING exciting about downloading a  song or an album" and "There is nothing exciting about the way Radiohead or NIN or Smashing Pumpkins or anyone else is doing in term as of how they're making their albums available online."

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

TOTAL LOSS speaks the truth

nothing more
nothing less

misterID

misterID wrote:

Blah...

Going on about vinyl? Okay. I mentioned it once and you brought up the figures, not me, buddy. Downloading isn't even close to the success of a physical album. People buy both. I doubt GNR lost much on not having the entire album digital, or exclusively digital. People who wanted the new songs on iTunes got them. Those that wanted the album got it.  One did not hurt the other.

You're just going on about a way of distribution that's been tried and isn't even close to the sells of actual CD's, but anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. Your proposal is just your idea. It is not fact. There's nothing to argue about.

And as many people knew about Chinese Democracy as they do about the Prince Black Album or Dr. Dre's Detox. These are albums the press and fans obsess about. Not the average music buying public. They could have had a bigger hit record in 2002 during the VMA and Buckethead build up. They didn't. They waited 6 years and until Buckethead left to release it. With no help from the band and record company. This is what you get.

The world was not waiting for this album like some of you guys want to pretend. It is funny that the same people who claimed that no one cared about CD before the release (hoping it would bomb) are the same people who say everyone was waiting for the album when it was finally released.

Board footer