You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Can interest (in Chinese Democracy) be regained?

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think there's been real interest since 2002 to be honest - at least outside of the boards.  First impressions are everything and had they come out and blown everybody away, they could have survived a little better than they have.  They didn't - people were exposed to them through the VMA debacle and that is what post Slash era GnR will always be viewed as by much of the general public.  It isn't interest anymore, it's now morbid curiosity.  It's like watching a train wreck - you know what's coming, you know it's not going to be pretty, but you can't help but peek at it between your fingers as you cover your eyes.  Very few people are genuinely interested in CD musically anymore.  It's all about will it or won't it come out.  Once that question is answered, the interest is over.

At the heart of that last statement is the reason I'm starting to believe we may never see this album.

I've been saying it for a long time.  While it's good that you're seeing the writing on the wall, I do actually feel bad for you and others who had faith in this project.  I knew I was right, I believe that most knew I was right but didn't want to admit it.  It's hard when you get so into something that you don't really see it for what it is - you see it for what you wish it was.  I think the same thing would happen to me if there was a reunion - I'd be so happy it was happening that I wouldn't see it for what it really was.  I'd see it as something bigger because that's what I want it to be.

If CD ever does come out, the interest will be there from mostly all diehards.   How can it not, we are used to years and years and years of silence and yet when Axl showed his face ALL of us were interested and I know people that left the forums, including myself before that happened and it will happen with CD in the exact same way.    We could go through another year of no CD and lets say in 2010 he releases it, interest will be there by us and some of those that left will return and I am sure some of the casual fans and Axl peers will be interested out of curiosity and that is what is going to fuel this the most from them.  WHY because we have waited so long and gone through all this for it not to be, even if the interest dies down to a crawl, it never will completely go away, at least not yet IMO because GNR right now is active, active in GNRland anyhow with the touring so that means anything goes year to year with them, either nothing but touring or could be something else.

Does the years of what we have been shown suggest that it won't ever be released, it certainly does but what makes this hard to just give up is we just don't know if it's never coming out or if it will come out next year.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Maybe i'm stupid but i actually think it will come out now.

Signs are pointing to it more than in the silent years. Like axl being on Baz album etc....and them basicly saing the delay now is a business issue and that the album is done...then again i guess they said they did final mixes in like 02...lol....

But i still have hope!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

We could go through another year of no CD and lets say in 2010 he releases it, interest will be there by us and some of those that left will return and I am sure some of the casual fans and Axl peers will be interested out of curiosity and that is what is going to fuel this the most from them.  WHY because we have waited so long and gone through all this for it not to be, even if the interest dies down to a crawl, it never will completely go away

I don't think interest will ever be as high as it was in 02 and 06. The release of the album is going to very anticlimactic. Hell, about half the fanbase is going to be shocked when its released and they discover that its just an album. The point Buzzsaw made in the old vs new discussion in the other thread applies here- people have built it up to something in their minds that the reality can never live up to. Its going to be an album consisting of approximately 13 to 15 tracks. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people are going to have major difficulty coming to terms with this. Mental wards may fill up across the globe with deranged GNR fans who cant believe that after everything they went through, waited on,etc., it wound up truly being "just an album".

For the sane people who have followed this soap opera, this album is going to provide closure. You'll see their reviews, discussing the meaning of the songs, and then it will be "bon voyage".

Whether the album gets released or not, the communities are headed into unknown territory.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

I'm personally hoping that if/when the album is released, we could all just go back into being normal fans again. You know, the kind of people who get served new music, tour dates, live videos, news updates... The kind of people who hang around for the meat instead of the filler.

But to answer the question, tours aren't interesting anymore. During the European / US tours in '06, the message boards were red-hot with realtime setlist updates and whatnot. During the Oceanic tour in '07, we had none of that. There was no new album, no new special song to be heard.

A new release date letter would be... interesting, to say the least, as it would be Axl communicating with the fanbase again. It would certainly hold a degree of entertainment value and some people would be sure to check out the date given - just like some people occasionally fall for those end of the world dates. But it would take a lot more than a letter to convince most people.

A new single release, or without an album, a new officially released track like OMG, would be nice, but it would have to something we haven't heard before. I doubt people'd go apeshit for a new mix of Madagascar (now with cowbell) and nothing more.

A leak would be very nice. It'd have to be a wholly new song, like Sorry. That'd be nice. In early '06, in between Axl's smalltalk with Rolling Stone and the announcement of new tour dates, the Better/TWAT/IRS leaks were a breath of fresh air, making everybody and his brother ridiculously giddy about the prospect of an album. If, and only if, things would move on rather quickly after the leaks, most would be made out of their impact.

An album release with all the standard accessories, such as a single, a music video, a photo shoot, interviews, appearances, et al would be... about five or six years overdue.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sic. wrote:

I'm personally hoping that if/when the album is released, we could all just go back into being normal fans again.

I've never even considered the possibility, because the fanbase hasn't been normal since I was a teenager. Hell, the fanbase has been out of whack since the first second the net was turned on. Probably within 60 seconds of the internet's debut, someone asked when was the album coming out, and they were met with responses filled with speculation and the world's first fake insider claiming "secret info".

There's never been a fanbase like this, and hopefully there never will be again either. Its why its so hard to predict the fallout of either the album's release, or even a reunion. Things have been fucked up for so long that any sense of normalcy would stick out like a sore thumb.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Think about the deafening silence of the end of 2002 to May of 06.

why is everybody going back to this period of time when comparing how things are now? why would i want to compare the current situation with the worst period of time? why not compare it to the best times? 87-92? why not try to look how far up it could go, not how low?
can general interest be regained? yes! how? release the fucking thing already? what's so fucking hard?

supaplex wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

why is everybody going back to this period of time when comparing how things are now? why would i want to compare the current situation with the worst period of time? why not compare it to the best times? 87-92? why not try to look how far up it could go, not how low?
can general interest be regained? yes! how? release the fucking thing already? what's so fucking hard?

You can't compare this era of GNR to 87-92, it's two different animals.  I reason I bring up that silent period is because it's THIS era of GNR and for this era of GNR now is the best time they had since we never heard from Axl again after that very short tour, well we heard from him in that press release about BH, other then that absolutely nothing.  So these two years are the most active this band has been since then.

Jameslofton
Yesterday 22:10:19
I don't think interest will ever be as high as it was in 02 and 06. The release of the album is going to very anticlimactic. Hell, about half the fanbase is going to be shocked when its released and they discover that its just an album. The point Buzzsaw made in the old vs new discussion in the other thread applies here- people have built it up to something in their minds that the reality can never live up to. Its going to be an album consisting of approximately 13 to 15 tracks. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people are going to have major difficulty coming to terms with this. Mental wards may fill up across the globe with deranged GNR fans who cant believe that after everything they went through, waited on,etc., it wound up truly being "just an album".

For the sane people who have followed this soap opera, this album is going to provide closure. You'll see their reviews, discussing the meaning of the songs, and then it will be "bon voyage".

Whether the album gets released or not, the communities are headed into unknown territory.

You may have point about 02 and 06 but I am willing to wager that the boards explode and you'll see this in every paper, mag and music show out there.   Maybe I am wrong but I just think when this comes out it's going to be mayhem.

You are absolutely correct on how it could be very anticlimatic but IMO after listening to it from people that are sooo jaded that no matter how good it is, it's gonna suck.   Also I do agree that some will build it up in their minds that this is going to be the album from God, The Holy Grail.   That's just stupidity because at the end of the day it is just an album and it's those that do think that way will cut their nose off to spite their face because good maybe some great songs will be hated for a reason that that as you said the mental anguish has caused.    I have no doubt in my mind Axl tweaked this thing to death but I also think the last year there has been no more work done to it and it's just all red tape that is keeping this thing back.   I do think that Axl is fully aware of "we waited this long for this", statements coming from alot of people.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
supaplex wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

You can't compare this era of GNR to 87-92, it's two different animals.  I reason I bring up that silent period is because it's THIS era of GNR and for this era of GNR now is the best time they had since we never heard from Axl again after that very short tour, well we heard from him in that press release about BH, other then that absolutely nothing.  So these two years are the most active this band has been since then.

i can see where you're coming from but, if you're going to go with the name, i will compare it to everything that guns n' roses means. if you want them to be great again push them up, not whenever they are mediocre pat them on the back and say "hey, at least we got something and it wasn't 03-05 again". i won't do that. because i want them to get back out and release an album and tour while there's still people who care.

Board footer