You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash Album Booklet and Credits

It's just an album, I really don't care if it has lyrics or whatever. People will always find something to bitch about.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

It's just an album, I really don't care if it has lyrics or whatever. People will always find something to bitch about.

That attitude is why albums have much less content now and in the case of Itunes and other digital formats(Reznor the exception), there is ZERO content.

An album isn't just an album. Years ago there was all kinds of content, whether it be lyrics, credits, pictures, posters,etc. and even in some cases, much more. Hell, an old Cheech and Chong record actually came with a gigantic zig zag so you could roll a massive joint like they smoked in the movie Up In Smoke.

An old Alice Cooper album one of my cousins had opened up and it was like a pop up book. Cool shit that you will never see again since people think of it as "just an album".

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The original Sticky Fingers vinyl with the zipper always makes me smirk.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

To me an album experience is just as much about the sleeve artwork as the music itself.

Growing up and discovering rock music, there was nothing cooler than discovering a new band, and reading liner notes in the CD sleeve about recording, who played what, learning the lyrics, seeing great cool photos of the band, either live or in the studio. And the artwork itself is always something I found cool as hell as well.

johndivney wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think alot of that shit has died down, if not been dead since 1993. Hell, even Kurt Cobain was hanging with Duff shortly before his death.

duff simply happened to be on the same plane a couple of days before kurt died.
kurt quit his rehab in LA (by escaping over the back wall, when he'd have been allowed to sign himself out & leave thru the frontdoor) & was seated next 2 duff on his flight to seattle.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

The artwork suffered a major inflation when CD took over as the ruling format. The videos defining the band image went downhill with MTV watering down and have only recently been given a sort of afterlife with YouTube. Now the liner notes are being given the same treatment when digital music is overtaking the scene. I've partially grown into the 'immaterial' form of music, where I can d/l the tracks / albums I like and learn about the lyrics et al through the net.

This doesn't change the fact that the visuals and the graphic design shaping the outlook of any given band have taken a major backseat from what they once were. The cynic in me would say these elements have always been somewhat superfluous, as good music will always speak for itself and you don't really need the additional outside elements weighted in to enjoy the experience.

Even so, any good band comes with personality and thus, it's good for them to establish an identity which arises from their thematic and musical influences. In order to properly conjure up an image of what an act and their music is about, one can work wonders with the proper visual content to demonstrate this. Say what you want about, say, Marilyn Manson, but his image in terms of videos and liner notes has always been carefully thought out aestethically  and in line with his general ideas and views of the world. It certainly helped him to forge a career even if the music lost most of its value in the later years.

The best of them were still made in around the 1970's, with Led Zep, Floyd, King Crimson and the likes using the sleeve design not as much to sell the product to appease record company marketing dpt, but to visualize the context of the music. To me, that made the graphic design an artwork by its own right, which, at best, was on par with the music as a supplementing piece.

At some point, they lost track of that.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

there hasd been some pretty interesting Compact Disk covers over the years

Death Magnetic was interesting, TooL aways has something amazing for their jackets i'm wasbt saying that Slash had to do anything super spectacular...and it is you average album booklet, but something a little more would've been cool...specially for the delux version, still though its not the end of the world...i mean it is slash's solo disk so having lyrics left out kinda makes sense in a way...its a bit of a throwback i wuppose, lyrics in each and every cd case is somewhat of a modern trend...anyway a bit more coulda been put into it, but its not making or breaking it for me....at the end of the day the music is what stands out most...i'm diggin it so far 21

To me an album experience is just as much about the sleeve artwork as the music itself.

i agree...and with the increasign prominance of the digital download era we are slowly losing it like apex said...its a shame from my old school point of view

EDIT: Pearl Jam's rearview mirror compilation was cool too. the artwork showed images of the band back in the beginnning and then they recreated the shots with their older selves...neat concept IMO

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Haven't seen the booklet yet, but the cover art on Slash's album is nothing short of plastic. It reeks of digital arts with not one hint of grain or speckle, which is something I'd rather attribute to the old-school Rock N' Roll concept he's seemingly trying to sell. Instead, give me the photographed graffiti in front of It's Five O'Clock Somewhere any day of the week. Then again, IFOCS is a cracking album and I'm still holding the opinion that it's Slash's best post-GNR work. Had hopes on this one, but remain to be convinced so far.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

IMO 5 O'Clock is still better but the artwork is about the same...actually aside from lack of lyrica content i would rank the packaging way above the 5oc packaging...if that counts for anything 16

anyway the point i'm making here is that it doesnt match 5oc but its still really good IMO smile

EDIT: all that ebing said though 5oc is a must have album for me personally...and this new disk is way more versatile than anyhting else slash has ever done

Board footer