You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: MGMT apologize for new album

faldor wrote:

I'm not a fan, but thought this was kind of strange.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=10719

by Music-News.com - April 11 2010
photo by Ros O'Gorman

MGMT say they are 'sorry' about their new album.

The duo - Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser - admit their latest LP 'Congratulations'™ is a radical departure from their commercially-successful debut, 'Oracular Spectacular'™, because it contains 'no hits and no singles' and they were astonished their record company Sony/Columbia let them release it.

Ben said: 'We don'™t understand why anyone let us do this. We'™re both sorry.'

Andrew insists the label recognised their LP was a risk and that they are standing by their decision to make an unconventional release.

He added to The Guardian newspaper: 'They recognised that it was a bold move. Well, sorta.

'They were happy that it was creatively... You know, we put time and effort into it and made something they were really proud of. At the same time, I think they were a little perplexed as to how to market it."

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Marketing ploy.
all the cool indie people will buy it now because its non corporate and inspired

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, that figures to be the case.  On the one hand, their fans may not be too excited at the prospects but by making a pre-emptive strike they get free publicity and most likely the critics will praise them for taking a chance.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Critics will be all over it praising them for an album that has no hits or singles on it.  The record company knew exactly what they were doing when they put this album out.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This leaked ages ago and fans were saying this stuff long before they ever did. They're just following the lead of fans because the album is already dead in the water.

I downloaded it back then but never actually listened. They have just accomplished part of their mission as I will now listen to it.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Marketing ploy.
all the cool indie people will buy it now because its non corporate and inspired

Bingo. Ding ding ding. Etc.

That's a bingo!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Who?