You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Sturgis, South Dakota, USA (Rock 'N Rev Festival)

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't care about being popular and I don't care if 25% of the crowd left before the show started. However, I am WAY WAY WAY WAY over Chinese Democracy. For fuck's sake, put out an EP, a single, something.

I hate to say it but it is time for Tommy to pull out. Fuck the money. Just get back with Paul and churn out some rock and roll. 17

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd still love to see this lineup live.  Regardless if it's only 2 "new" songs or so.  Again, I'm not sure why people are up in arms or surprised at the setlist.  Did you honestly expect massive changes?  Or were you expecting what we got and were just chomping at the bit to bury them for it?  I'm guessing the latter.  Well, you got it, so have at it. 19

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd still love to see this lineup live.  Regardless if it's only 2 "new" songs or so.  Again, I'm not sure why people are up in arms or surprised at the setlist.  Did you honestly expect massive changes?  Or were you expecting what we got and were just chomping at the bit to bury them for it?  I'm guessing the latter.  Well, you got it, so have at it. 19

The setlists make 2001-02 look like dream setlists. So yeah, people who have followed the band in the CD era and have heard the "move on, its time for the new era" mantra have reasons to complain.

If it regresses much further, the band will only be playing Live Like A Suicide and whip out Heartbreak Hotel.

Madagas is right: It's time for the band to move on from this Chinese era. While it had promise, it was a clusterfuck from the get go and never improved.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I can't believe Axl turned down Fincher filming a show... If that's even true, but just the fact there hasn't been a live DVD is just stupid.

I care enough about the band to check here for new info. Not excited anymore. The love was sucked out the moment Finck left, and it was barely hanging on after Buckethead left. But I would be down for some new music or a new album in a heart beat.

I don't know if there will be any new songs dropped in the shows. Insanely, he still believes he's touring Chinese Democracy. 10 years after he started, 2 years after it dropped. tbh, I have absolutely no idea what this lineup could do together. At least in the 01-02 era they played new music, their music, now the CD setlist has become standard. So I'm still giving them a chance. But I also believe a new album is on its way.

Oh, and the reunion crowd is living in a bigger fantasy land than the morons who think Axl will still take over the music world again. A reunion would be no different than what you have now. A reunion would be good for one show and a successful reunion tour for the hardcores, just so they can bust a nut a cry at the sight of Axl and Slash on stage again. That's about it. But it would be cool to see it. I'd rather have Zep or Floyd reunion, or even Buckethead back in the band. But it would be cool on a nostalgia level.

imo, I think Axl has been really affected by Bucket and Finck leaving, too.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'd love them to focus only on Chinese and just do that material as i think axl is killer on it and it deserves better recgonition in the public, but the reality is the audiences probably want a classic hit setlist.

Really don't see the problem.

If in sydney they play all of Chinese, I'd be thrilled, and prob a couple of mates, but every dude who came for the car race will be like "where the FUCK is jungle, play sweeet child you motherfucker" etc etc

It's just how it goes.

I think it's great to see the band out there and doing gigs. I'd agree the setlists could have less solos and more songs overall, but then they are demanding songs for Axl to sing.

I don't think this era needs to end like you guys say, but I would like to see it supported a little more from the business side of the band itself.

Like make a live DVD of the chinese tracks or something like that. Like how megadeth just did with 'rust in peace live'. Or new material. Or full band interviews and stuff. I dunno - I mean like - I think the public would be closer to getting into the new band and accepting it as GNR if the orginisation gave them more to work with. That's just my armchair opinion.

But like a proshot video of one of the new songs. Imagine a killer live video of "If the world" or something - where you see Bumble and Ashba ripping it up - and of course Axl being so classicly Axl. Not saying it would work miricles...but I'm sure if exposed to these things some other people would like them.

I mean I can't be the only guy who thinks its a kickass album.

Like playing rocket queen people are going to look at bumble and go "that's not slash" cos you know what - he isn't. But why can't we watch bumble tear out that shackler's revenge solo in HD. He still wouldn't be slash - but he doesn't need to be on that track - cos it's not a tune accociated with slash.

So i guess i'm saying the reality is setlists like this are necessary to please the audience, but at the same time, I think the reason many people have issue with the new band is it never seems to be their moment to shine. First it was waiting for the album. Then the strange release it got. and so on.  The band is good, let them step out from behind the old GNR shadow and show everyone.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

imo, I think Axl has been really affected by Bucket and Finck leaving, too.

Bucket leaving essentially derailed the Chinese train and it never recovered. In 2006, Dizzy said the band hadn't seen each other since 2002.

In the past two years, Ron has said no new music has been worked on in GNR since he's been there(2006).

Do the math.

Chinese should have been scrapped when Bucket bailed. He would have had time to assemble another supergroup and start a new project instead of wallowing in those same tracks for ten years.

Now here we are in 2010 still wallowing in AFD and a setlist inferior to the ones he whipped out eight, nine years ago.

Also agree with Madagas about Tommy. Tommy should bail and give his hardcore fans that reunion they want before its too late.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'd love them to focus only on Chinese

The time to focus on Chinese was 2001 and 2002.

Not only did that train crash, it's smoldering in a ravine.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Oh, and the reunion crowd is living in a bigger fantasy land than the morons who think Axl will still take over the music world again. A reunion would be no different than what you have now. A reunion would be good for one show and a successful reunion tour for the hardcores, just so they can bust a nut a cry at the sight of Axl and Slash on stage again. That's about it. But it would be cool to see it.

That's the point, although I fear that it wouldn't last long. I'm sure that with Axl, the classic line-up could not record an album. When would they release it? 17 years after the reunion? Even a tour could collapse in any minute, if Axl has a bad day or a bad moment. The late starts wouldn't change at all. The primadonna actions wouldn't change. So while it would be great to see them playing together and paying tribute to what was one of the greatest band in history, I don't see it happening. Even the possible Hall Of Fame introduction is very, very doubtful.

BTW I don't see Axl doing more in his life than finishing CD II, sometime in 2020.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Oh, and the reunion crowd is living in a bigger fantasy land than the morons who think Axl will still take over the music world again. A reunion would be no different than what you have now. A reunion would be good for one show and a successful reunion tour for the hardcores, just so they can bust a nut a cry at the sight of Axl and Slash on stage again. That's about it. But it would be cool to see it. I'd rather have Zep or Floyd reunion, or even Buckethead back in the band. But it would be cool on a nostalgia level.

Karma. Well said. Superbly put.

I love nostalgia. I'm just not that into it with music.

A reunion and again bust out the AFD hits. Yay. I'm sure everyone will be happy. If that happens I'm out the door completely. There's no interest for me in that. What would they do, try and make an album? It's a nostalgia trip, nothing more. Given Slash's recent (or never ending form) in writing music, you're in for a fart level of AFD. For many, GNR is a nostalgia band, even with only Axl. For me GNR is a band having balls to re-form and change approach (Bucket, Finck, Brain, Ashba etc). I applaud and scream with joy at Better, others scream with joy when Ashba again launches into that SCOM intro. I'm hopelessly outnumbered, and either Axl can't sing the CD songs because of his voice, or he realized that too. Most likely it's both.

I'm willing to go far to see GNR. It's always better to hear and see the songs live than just watching it on a stupid DVD or replaying AFD again (which I haven't done in years and years). I'm always up for a GNR party with Axl on stage.

The only thing I don't like is that they've abondoned the entire Chinese project live, going from these monster CD lists in Asia to a 2002 set list now (minus SEVERAL songs).

I mostly put that down to Axl's voice. While others gets an orgasm over his scratchy voice, I feel his pain when he screams the high parts and his voice is so scratchy it will break up at any moment.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If you want to get down to it, 2004 was really THE year. If you remember, that's when they were going to make their comeback at RIR but it fell apart because Bucket left. I thought back then, and still think now, that he was prepared to drop the album that year, but Bucket's departure really set him back, probably on a lot of levels. Kind of like what happened when Robin left the first time. I think it had a bigger impact on him than the original line up falling apart, because this line up was his baby. Like trying to get Buckethead back up to the last minute to the first show back in 2006.

And it was a killer band sad

And it does really make me wonder if he isn't still trying (and waiting) to get Bucket and Finck back. That seriously wouldn't surprise me in the least.

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think this era needs to end like you guys say, but I would like to see it supported a little more from the business side of the band itself.

I mean I can't be the only guy who thinks its a kickass album.

The band is good, let them step out from behind the old GNR shadow and show everyone.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't want it to end, I'm just really not feeling any excitement out of it like I did before. This all comes down to Axl though. If he busted out a couple new songs I'd be all over that shit. But as long as he's touring under the Chinese Democracy tour banner, I'm just not excited about the shows or band right now. BECAUSE IT'S BEEN 10 FRIGGIN YEARS OF THE SAME SHIT! That gets tiring after awhile 16

But I will never, ever underestimate Axl's ability to totally blow me away. And nothing has changed that. wink

If he just moved on from CD, even with the new band as is, it would do A LOT to get me excited again.

And Tommy wouldn't have to leave GNR to do any reunions himself, because, lets be honest, they would probably work out as well as a GNR reunion would. Not very. But you would get some cool shows.

And I think Chinese Democracy is GNR's best album right under AFD.

Mikkamakka wrote:

That's the point, although I fear that it wouldn't last long. I'm sure that with Axl, the classic line-up could not record an album. When would they release it? 17 years after the reunion? Even a tour could collapse in any minute, if Axl has a bad day or a bad moment. The late starts wouldn't change at all. The primadonna actions wouldn't change. So while it would be great to see them playing together and paying tribute to what was one of the greatest band in history, I don't see it happening. Even the possible Hall Of Fame introduction is very, very doubtful.

BTW I don't see Axl doing more in his life than finishing CD II

I totally agree. I even had it in my original post that a reunion tour would be a disaster and wouldn't make it through the end. But it sounded a little too negative and it takes away from how cool it would be to see them together on stage again. But in reality, a reunion show, tour, album could be announced (by Slash) and none of it would ever happen. Not even a single show. A reunion would be an absolute train wreck, no doubt. It's not even worth putting it in my mind.

Board footer