You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Re: Axl Rose a Marketing Genius?

Backslash wrote:

heavymetalmusic.biz thinks so:

Here's one article:

The true reason why Axl Rose of Guns N Roses is a marketing genius for delaying his Chinese Democracy album

January 12, 2008

OK here is the actual story of 'Is Axl Rose a marketing genius?' which is below

Axl Rose is a guy sitting on a 15 year old album called 'Chinese Democracy.' He has promised this thing over 2 years ago. It has been the longest worked on album in history!! After the older founding members split, Axl was left to put this potential genius album out. It was promised for March 2006 but it was Axl who pulled the plug on that one. It appears that this was enough to tick off his current label Geffen who penalized him by putting out a few Best of Guns N Roses albums out.

As the GNR fan base hungrily awaits for this new album, it appears Axl is a pure marketing genius by letting this album hype build, music leaks, do some tours, and go through a few line up changes. Even McDonalds could never achieve that. Will 'Chinese Democracy' ever live up to its release? Yes it will. Why? The album is done.

"The good news is that all of the recording for the album has been completed," the band site said once. "Drummer Frank Ferrer and guitarist Ron '˜Bumblefoot' Thal integrated themselves into the recordings seamlessly and will have their presence felt."

That was nearly two years ago so the album is written, recorded, and probably mastered/mixed. It is up to Axl to release it. It will live up to all the hype I believe after hearing some leaks. That is my opinion but again does that matter at this point?

Source: http://heavymetalmusic.biz/2008/01/12/t … acy-album/

Reasons why Axl Rose of Guns N Roses should be CEO of McDonalds with this mysterious Chinese Democracy album

January 12, 2008

Who is it the #1 marketing company in the world? McDonalds is most likely the answer. Why?

1. They sell crappy burgers to people who eat them including third world nations that make McDonalds billions of dollars.
   2. Their icon, Ronald McDonald, has been compared to being as popular as Jesus Christ

So let's break out the reasons why Axl is a pure marketing genius in which someone like McDonalds would need.

1. Axl has delayed his Chinese Democracy for over 15 years. In the software world, they call that 'vapor ware.' Not even Microsoft has had this kind of success Axl has had.
   2. Gone through enough tours to preview his tunes and live off the band's legacy of the 90's
   3. Brought in a constant revolving door of talented musicians.
   4. Music leaks are worth paying attention to give some preview samples.
   5. The press has eaten up this story for years where all McDonalds gets is that they are getting sued for making kids fat.

I do think McDonalds shareholders should be on a revolt to hire the marketing genius that Axl Rose is. Forget Steve Jobs of Apple, Axl is the hype machine of the 2000s.

Source: http://heavymetalmusic.biz/2008/01/12/r … acy-album/

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Both of those articles feature flaws. I would call them pretty lousy, in fact. Late 06 was the perfect time. All the chips were ready to fall (or had fallen), and the world was waiting. The hype died when those last shows were cancelled and updates became hidden. Those articles act as if people became more hungry and interested by the album's not showing up in 06, when in fact people just found other music.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree with CC. A "marketing genius" would have released this right after the leaks and the start of the tour. Or if you want to go back a bit further, a release at the height of the myth in late 02.

They missed the boat big time on this album's release. There's really no point in that fact being denied.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Both of those articles feature flaws. I would call them pretty lousy, in fact. Late 06 was the perfect time. All the chips were ready to fall (or had fallen), and the world was waiting. The hype died when those last shows were cancelled and updates became hidden. Those articles act as if people became more hungry and interested by the album's not showing up in 06, when in fact people just found other music.

I don't even know if it's other music. People just stopped caring altogether. The music scene right now isn't that great. I've mostly turned my focus to The Dark Knight. At least I know for a fact it's coming out. It cost more in the range of $200 million so it would be commercial suicide if Chris Nolan tried to delay it for 15 years. 16

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

mar·ket·ing      /ˈmɑrkɪtɪŋ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mahr-ki-ting] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
-noun
1.    the act of buying or selling in a market.
2.    the total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/marketing

In other words, Axl would have received funding for $$  to open a McDonalds in your neighborhood over 10+years ago. You & your neighbors would be all exciting over this, can't wait for it to open. Construction begins, the place is built, and remains vacant ever since. You & you're neighbors keep talking about "how you can't wait for this McDonalds to finally open". Hmmmm, sounds fantastic, how can I become an investor in this franchisee venture?? cool

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think its a combination of other music and other hobbies in general. The music scene isn't all that great, but if presented with the choice of getting Chinese Democracy or a new M.I.A. album this year, I would actually have to think long and hard about it before making a decision. Many other fans are in a similar boat. While we are all still fans, and probably always will be, other things are placed on the front burner while CD moves to the back.

Marketing Genius Axl is not.

06 would have been the perfect time.  People were hungry then, not now.   Most people are beyond frustrated.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I think its a combination of other music and other hobbies in general. The music scene isn't all that great, but if presented with the choice of getting Chinese Democracy or a new M.I.A. album this year, I would actually have to think long and hard about it before making a decision. Many other fans are in a similar boat. While we are all still fans, and probably always will be, other things are placed on the front burner while CD moves to the back.

When it comes down to it I might just download it. Axl dug his own grave by not releasing it sooner and I'd rather spend my $15 on seeing The Dark Knight a couple more times. 9

After all, I can easily download and listen to an album in high quality from a torrent, but I cannot recreate a huge ass movie theater screen. Buying an album is nowhere near as novel as seeing a movie at a theater because you're going to listen to it pretty much the same way regardless of whether you download it in lossless or buy the CD of it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'm gonna guess there are not a lot of geniuses working at heavymetalmusic.biz.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I'm gonna guess there are not a lot of geniuses working at heavymetalmusic.biz.

By "not a lot" I'm gonna guess you mean none, zip, zilch, nada. 16

Board footer