You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Renaissance

Axlin16 wrote:

Frank's drums took the CD cut to a whole nother level.

Much heavier, much more awesome. 9

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
russtcb wrote:

This.

I feel the same way. I placed CD just slightly ahead of AFD for that reason. It truly seems to me to be the natural progression of things.

As Ron has pointed out, it's like you're skipping from, say, Meet the Beatles to The White Album without hearing the intervening years of musical development; all that stuff is locked down in Axl's vaults. It's a crying shame that we'll never get to hear that material; I'd love to hear the sessions that gave us the so-called 1999 versions of TWAT and IRS...

Please... AFD is like Meet The Beatles, and CD is like The White Album? I'm sorry, but for me it's like skipping from Sticky Fingers to Steel Wheels.

Stop the 'CD is progressive' nonsense. It is not. Just different. Very different, cause other people had to write the music for Axl and nobody told him not to use stupid '80s synth effects. Dream Theater is (was) progressive. AFD GN'R is debatable, but CD was not progressive at all. Not a second of it. It was dated before it got released, not to mention the uninspired songwriting. OMG 18

Thanks for showing us the light and setting us all straight.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

I think the next album should have a cover of Whole Lotta Rosie

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Please... AFD is like Meet The Beatles, and CD is like The White Album? I'm sorry, but for me it's like skipping from Sticky Fingers to Steel Wheels.

Stop the 'CD is progressive' nonsense. It is not. Just different. Very different, cause other people had to write the music for Axl and nobody told him not to use stupid '80s synth effects. Dream Theater is (was) progressive. AFD GN'R is debatable, but CD was not progressive at all. Not a second of it. It was dated before it got released, not to mention the uninspired songwriting. OMG 18

Dream Theater are NOT progressive. They play classic style rock n roll music in a classical style. Brian Eno is progressive, soundgarden were progressive, nine inch nails were progressive for a while. Dream Theater were not.

Axl must have believed that Dream Theater were in fact progressive and that complex=progressive. It doesn't. Complex = Complex. Progressive = Progressive

Progressive:
favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.

Dream Theater maintained things as they were thanks very much. So did CD

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've never understood the "dated sound" criticism. Sounds very modern. I can turn on the radio to rock and pop bands and hear those sounds, not to mention NIN.

And btw, if you haven't noticed, those 80's synth sounds are back in fashion and have been for a while.

Personally, I think it was some of Axl's best songwriting. And the music is definitely progressive. I can't compare it to one single thing. Not TWAT, Better, CD, ext... It all sounds fresh to me. That's just my opinion.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Progressive:
favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.

thats a definition of progressive the word...but prog rock is something entirely different

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. The Oxford Companion to Music states that progressive rock bands "...explored extended musical structures which involved intricate instrumental patterns and textures and often esoteric subject matter." Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."  Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences.

dreamtheater is prog rock...prog metal to be precise...Rush is also prog rock...i definately wouldnt classify SG (Grunge) nor NIN (Industrial) as being progressive rock

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Frank's drums took the CD cut to a whole nother level.

Much heavier, much more awesome. 9

I disagree, Frank's drums dumbed the song down, and we lost the great double-bass-kick/snare stuff that Brain played on there.

I will give props that Frank is a great drummer, but I don't like what he did to the studio cut of CD.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Neemo is right. Dream Theater, especially in the last couple of decades have embodied everything the genre 'prog metal' is about. I can't believe something like that is in question. That's like arguing if Led Zeppelin is a hard rock band or blues.

I made some incorrect statements in the past initially comparing the guitar work, mainly thinking of Bucket, of CD to DT, but really CD doesn't sound like a progressive album at all. It sounds like hard rock with industrial elements.

Board footer