You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Why Dave Navarro Didn't Join Guns N' Roses

jamester wrote:

http://www.talkingmetal.com/2010/index2.htm

In the latest episode (325) of Talking Metal Dave Navarro  explains why he turned Axl Rose down for a spot in Guns N' Roses. Navarro explains: "When Izzy left the band, Axl called me to be a member of Guns. There are a number of reasons that it didn't work out. If I could pick one, it would be my own heroin addiction. We have always had a great respect for one another."

Dave also talks about his love for Iron Maiden and how their influence "helped shape the sound of Jane's Addiction." and he reveals that he is currently in the studio with producer Rich Costey (Muse, Franz Ferdinand) working on a new Jane's Addiction album which will include songs co-written by Duff McKagan.

The podcast archive only goes up to 324. This is a more recent interview will be loaded soon hopefully! Did anyone catch this interview first hand?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Nobody from ANY alternative band in 1991 would have joined GNR at that point. It would have been career suicide for Navarro or whoever at that point and the money earned on that UYI tour would not have been worth it.

It's always been a cool tidbit from that era but it was never going anywhere and it was obvious even back then. It was just a pipe dream of Axl's that got some media attention.

Regardless of any respect he has for Axl, I highly doubt that Navarro ever seriously considered the proposition. It was probably laughed about behind closed doors.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Which is still kind of funny. GN'R today inactive, does more money than Jane's Addiction.

Anybody that would turn that down is an absolute moron. In GN'R you get paid, get fame, and get junk. It's win win.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah....I don't get it...the UYI tour mopped the floor with ANY alternative band...I mean not wanting to be in GNR in 1991 is like not wanting to win the lotto.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah....I don't get it...the UYI tour mopped the floor with ANY alternative band...I mean not wanting to be in GNR in 1991 is like not wanting to win the lotto.

Simply because the were the movement that has since become this

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

lol nice  Stepvhen

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Might it not have something to do with the fact that both Navarro and Slash are lead guitarists, with all the ego issues that implies? I could imagine that for Navarro, being lead guitarist in Jane's Addiction was preferable to playing second fiddle to Slash in GN'R.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If you really believed in the alternative movement, being in GnR would have been embarrassing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The problem is, the only bands who were truely alternative nobody ever heard of or barely heard of them. Those alt and grunge bands were more MTV's darlings in those days than anyone.

Tommy Stinson was far more "true alternative" than anybody from Jane's Addiction, STP, or the "big four" from Seattle.

I'm sorry but the whole label and scene of how those alternative bands were "above" bands like GN'R is such crap. Only in their minds. That's like finding a girl who is smokin' hot, knows she's smokin' hot, you know you want to fuck her so bad, but she's not gonna let you, so you convince yourself she's ugly or a slut or crazy, etc.

That was the relationship alternative had with GN'R. At the end of the day it was about pure jealousy, lust for & envy.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Jane's Addiction were a lone deviating sound from 80s rock in the LA scene of the 80s. Gotta give them some respect for being out there and not doing the typical glam thing.

If you want to slam the alternative scene for its unnecessarily agitated stance on 80s rock, fine, but don't pretend it had nothing to offer. None of the rock bands outside of that movement were going to write '3 Days' or 'Then She Did' - Jane's did some great stuff. So did Smashing Pumpkins. So did Blind Melon (hey, it's me, of course I was gonna give Melon a shout out).

Grunge had a lot of bands that were only different from bands like GNR in superficial ways, but a bunch of those alternative groups were able to step outside the standard rock paradigm, at least for a few songs or a whole album, and do some really cool stuff.

Board footer