You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: SLASH Says we should be making an announcement sometime in January

James wrote:

Cornell isn't gonna be the one. He moved back to Seattle last year and recently said he's currently recording. He's either recording solo material or with Soundgarden.

I wouldn't want him in VR anyways. As amazingly talented as he is, I don't think it would work. Would look incredible on paper though. Studio results would likely be underwhelming though.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah I was thinking the same...not sure how long it would last...they're both so stylisticly different. On paper it could be killer though...or really average...it'd be anyone's guess.

But then i'm wierdo who prefered Audioslave to Soundgarden...so my opinion on cornell is prob a bit non-standard!

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Agree with MC. His opinion on Cornell is probably a bit non-standard. smile

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be insanely excited if it happened, but I think the hints would be more obvious if it was him, although he is younger and known, and more powerful, but I think like they'd be more giddy about it as it would be a hell of a catch.

I hope we find out soon. I've read all kinds of suggestions while lurking other places...people have said eveyrthing including like Chris Jerrico!

nugdafied wrote:

Chris Cornell fronting VR would be the ultimate. I wish it hadn't been brought up, because I will be let down now when someone else is announced. I mean Duff is from Seattle, CC was on Slash's album, and Soundgarden went nowhere fast...I wish this hadn't been brought up, unless it turns out to be true.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Cornell isn't gonna be the one. He moved back to Seattle last year and recently said he's currently recording. He's either recording solo material or with Soundgarden.

I wouldn't want him in VR anyways. As amazingly talented as he is, I don't think it would work. Would look incredible on paper though. Studio results would likely be underwhelming though.

It's gonna be solo, but I could see him having the time for VR - just don't know if he'd care.

Soundgarden is dead in the water. He ain't writing anything with them, or they're just gonna dust off stuff in the vault, but that whole thing seems to have died, kind of like the Faith No More reunion did.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Sad isn't it?
Most of the rock world realises that if you got Cornell and VR into a studio with a very focused producer there could be an album there that would rival Led Zep III. For whatever reason, Slash, Axl, CC, Faith No More etc seem to be missing the bullseye creatively in recent years. Its like they are trying too hard. I guess youth is the currency and when you get old you get scared and self concious or else arrogant and lazy and loose a little of the magic.

I'm a fan of Slash's album but its not a 20 year keeper like AFD, Superunknown or Angel Dust. I still listen to those cuts once a month.

I wasn't a big fan of the Slash/CC collab either, the verse riff had a nursery rhyme vibe to it and the chorus should have been cleaned up and just positioned as CC belting out those high notes with the Slash man powering up the guitars.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah my issue with the colaboration was that it seemed a waste of cornell...like it's a decent enough track but it sounded like a mid album type song...I was hoping for soemthign where he show cases his screams and range and all that given it's something most of slash's singers cant do.

Although I must say I am a big fan of the slash album. Took a while for some of it to sink in, but slowly but surely lots of those songs have infiltrated my "most played" lists.

Whoever the singer is, I'd love to see that 'magic' album out of VR....I like what they've done, but it's nothing  on what they could do....I think about songs like "Last Remaining Light" from audioslave or old soundgarden stuff and then think about that in a Slash type context and dream.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I felt the same way about Slash's solo album. Pound for pound I think it's better than Snakepit and VR, as I didn't really care for either of those projects, but Contraband had a few good tracks on there, and Slash's solo album had a few more - BUT - it's not CD, nor is it vintage GN'R. And even CD could've been better.

VR & GN'R both still have potential. They just haven't found it. Despite what others think, I still think they haven't gotten back to that 1991 form.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Soundgarden is dead in the water.

Telephantasm went platinum, Black Rain charted higher than any CD singles. If that's dead in the water, what do you classify GNR as?

I agree this has not went down like it should have, but 'dead in the water' is a bit drastic. They admitted that a tour was unlikely, and now is the first time in almost 15 years all of them are living in Seattle. Chances of new material are certainly possible.

Having said that, I'd prefer dusting off the vault than recording brand new material. Just imagine those killer B sides getting the Black Rain 'treatment'.

Board footer