You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: STP REUNION! STRAIGHT FROM SCOTT'S MOUTH!

James wrote:

Was Slash on dope? Of course it was going to sound like Skid Row with Baz as the singer. Why even consider him if that was the reason? Was the music they were doing sounding like Skid Row?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Was Slash on dope? Of course it was going to sound like Skid Row with Baz as the singer. Why even consider him if that was the reason? Was the music they were doing sounding like Skid Row?

I think a CB type of album can sound very much Skid Row with Baz, although the music is only heavier rock, and not Slave to The Grind heavy metal.

Acekicken
 Rep: 12 

Acekicken wrote:

I have read a few people say that it was Slash who said they sounded like Skid Row.
I even read it on Wikki,but if I recall  correctly it was Duff. 2 seconds I will find it.

Here it is

DUFF MCKAGAN Explains Why SEBASTIAN BACH Was Not Chosen To Sing For VELVET REVOLVER - June 30, 2003 

Former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan spoke to 97.1 KLSX FM's Riki Rachtman about VELVET REVOLVER's decision to tap STONE TEMPLE PILOTS' Scott Weiland over ex-SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach as their new singer. "[Sebastian] did some amazing fantastic stuff on [the music we gave him to record vocals over] and you know he's an old friend of ours and I love the guy dearly," Duff said. "The problems we ran up against is, it's kind of with Baz, we sounded like SKID ROW, and we don't want to go down that [road]'¦ We're forging forward, you know, [and] we want to try to break some new ground. That doesn't mean that we want to be industrial or modern rock '” we just want to be something new, and this whole time, we've kept current with music. I mean, some of my best friends are the [guys from] QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, or [JANE'S ADDICTION's Dave] Navarro, or [AUDIOSLAVE's] Chris Cornell '” you know, these are guys who have gone on and moved forward, and that's something that we are doing [with VELVET REVOLVER]."

As previously reported, VELVET REVOLVER are tentatively scheduled to release an EP and DVD of the band's June 19 El Rey Theater performance on October 7 through an as-yet-undisclosed label. In addition to the live material, the EP will also include a studio track, which will be released as a single around the same time.

The band, who are rounded out by fellow ex-Gunners Slash (guitar) and Matt Sorum (drums), along with ex-LOADED/SUICIDAL TENDENCIES guitarist Dave Kushner, will perform a couple of live shows in the Los Angeles area in August/September before going into the studio to record a full album, tentatively due in early 2004. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He makes valid points, but I still don't get why they auditioned him in the first place. With Baz you know what you are going to get. They shouldn't have even wasted his time.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I remember at the time Billy Idol's name came up.  I don't think they wanted him specifically, they were just saying "someone like Billy Idol". 

I think they just didn't have any idea what they wanted, the just knew what it wasn't after they heard it.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Acekicken wrote:

I have read a few people say that it was Slash who said they sounded like Skid Row.
I even read it on Wikki,but if I recall  correctly it was Duff. 2 seconds I will find it.

Slash said it in his autobiography too, I assume that's what people are referring to.

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, to me, Bach and Weiland are pretty similar. One is a wannabe metal/hair metal singer and one is a wannabe grunge singer....both rejects. Certainly not near as good as Cornell, Rose, Staley, Cobain....second rate. Go ahead, give me a negative karma. Both suck.;)

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

http://board.crewcial.org/topic/246362/&r=46

Here's a convo where these two dudes talk about STP's first show for 2008 tour being in Ohio, I found the link to it on STP's wikipedia:

first some guy said: "steve, i heard that d wimmer and d williams are getting them (STP) to reunite for that big show that they do in columbus. if so, i'll be there."

this Steve guy responds with, "ctrlaltdel- it's del and gary spivak, but yes, the first (full) show will probably be at Rock On The Range in Ohio. Might do something little at an l.a. club first for fun, but that doesn't count. I'll see you there."

I don't know but the whole conversation seems like two "in the know" people knowing what they're talking about and for some reason I tend to believe it.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:

Well, to me, Bach and Weiland are pretty similar. One is a wannabe metal/hair metal singer and one is a wannabe grunge singer....both rejects. Certainly not near as good as Cornell, Rose, Staley, Cobain....second rate. Go ahead, give me a negative karma. Both suck.;)

Wannabe grunge?  Man you need to listen to more STP than Plush.  16:haha:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Saikin isnt scott from ohio?

Board footer