You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Post your favourite fookin' GNR songs and tell us why!

Olorin wrote:

Lets go back to fandom...

It took me a long time to get into this song, strange cause its one of the, if not the heaviest GNR song ever... and I like heavy.
Mabye cause its quite gloomy and depressing, it just pounds along for a while and its a million miles away from anything on AFD.

I never really "got it" till I was older, I grew up in a real shithole and watched friends I'd known from childhood flush their lives away on heroin. I pointlessly stood by them for many a year until I had to just severe ties for the sake of my own life and moving forward with it.

To me the song swings from the perspective on someone lost on smack, to the outro and the perspective of a loved one watching them waste away and finally losing patience with them and letting it all pour out.

Its a work of art and to me possibly the best lyrics Axl's ever written.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

RE: Coma

used to love this tune...and actually sang the outro ((or extended outro 16) to myself when i did factory work as a summer job back in my college days

Got your mind in submission
Got your life on the line
But nobody pulled the trigger
They just stepped aside
They be down by the water
While you watch 'em waving goodbye
They be callin' in the morning
They be hangin' on the phone
They be waiting for an answer
When you know nobody's home
And when the bell's stopped ringing
It was nobody's fault but your own
There were always ample warnings
There were always subtle signs
And you would have seen it comin'
But we gave you too much time
And when you said that no one's listening
Why'd your best friend drop a dime
Sometimes we get so tired of waiting
For a way to spend our time
An "It's so easy" to be social
"It's so easy" to be cool
Yeah it's easy to be hungry
When you ain't got shit to lose
And I wish that I could help you
With what you hope to find
But I'm still out here waiting
Watching reruns of my life
When you reach the point of breaking
Know it's gonna take some time
To heal the broken memories
That another man would need
Just to survive

Some of Axl's best work ever IMHO

RE: Better

Loved it when i first leaked but then kinda lost interest soon there after for one reason or another...though i dig the breakdown part where everything goes apeshit 9

My personal fav at the moment is probably Mr Brownstone ...

everything in that song just kinda outlines the meaning of GnR for me...the swagger of the Lyrics and the Greasy Sleezy sound of the Guitars ... its a beautiful thing...also the lyrics kinda flow in a cool way...somewhat in control to totally out of control

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

RE: Coma
--- Probably my 2nd favorite GN'R song ever. Loved it instantly, and for many years called it my favorite. Not only is it Metallica-heavy, but it's some of Axl's best lyrics ever. Incredibly deep. Anyone that calls GN'R "hair metal", or looks at Axl as a cock rock masochist lyricist, never really listened to GN'R stuff like this. Axl can hold this song up to ANYTHING Kurt Cobain, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Jerry Cantrell or anyone else pumped out from the revered grunge era during which UYI I came out.

RE: Better
--- When it originally leaked, I loved it. But as time wore on I lost more and more interest. Not only was the 2006 demo better than the studio version, but it was Robin's song. And Robin played it with HIS soul. That 2006 Rock Am Ring performance of the song is one of the great moments of the new era, and definitely THE moment of the 2006 band and Robin Finck's tenure in it.

RE: Mr. Brownstone
--- Definitely a classic that totally embodies those Strip days, hungry GN'R that were just street rats. One of the best songs on AFD. Probably a song that won't make alot of 'most favorite' listings, but it's a song that we've relied on for so long to kick ass, that we forget how much it does kick ass. I think Nightrain is alot like that too.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Axlin's favorite 'Part I':

Although the video is in reality the swan song to the old GN'R collapsing under it it's own egotism, the song is their finest 9 minutes in any history of the band, and I personally feel it'll never be topped. Like Olorin with Coma, it took me YEARS to get into Estranged. It was not an instant favorite. I guess I just didn't get it at first, or was just tired by cut 11, I dunno. The guitar work wasn't November Rain then in my eyes, and I wasn't really paying much attention to the lyrics.

But on a late night, sleep deprived, drugged up and in a total haze... it hit me like a wall, that this song was the great 9 minutes of music I had ever heard. Once I got the image of Florida, palm trees and dolphins out of my head (thanks Axl), I could REALLY absorb the song. Although many would argue Coma, and Axl would argue This I Love, I truely feel Estranged is the deepest thing he's ever written.

The second half of the song was intense, it was like an epitaph...

When I find out all the reasons
Maybe I'll find another way
Find another day
With all the changing seasons of my life
Maybe I'll get it right next time
An now that you've been broken down
Got your head out of the clouds
You're back down on the ground
And you don't talk so loud
An you don't walk so proud
Any more, and what for

Well I jumped into the river too many times
to make it home
I'm out here on my own, an drifting all alone
If it doesn't show give it time
To read between the lines
'Cause I see the storm getting closer
And the waves they get so high
Seems everything We've ever known's here
Why must it drift away and die

I'll never find anyone to replace you
Guess I'll have to make it thru, this time
Oh this time
Without you

I knew the storm was getting closer
And all my friends said I was high
But everything we've ever known's here
I never wanted it to die

As Axl stated before, the song was about not finding out Unrequited Love (November Rain), but being there afterwards, being lost, and realizes there's not a fucking thing you can do about it.

That just spoke to me intensely. The song is like finding resolution in suicide. It's totally deep and it requires any human being bring everything they fucking have to it to hear it, mean it, and know it, and definitely to sing it. It's the alpha, omega. The beginning and the end of all music. It requires you BE THERE... which is the entire opposite of someone suffering from unrequited love.

And THAT is what was brilliant about it to me. Everything you would ever want to know about ME as a person, you can find in that song.

Thanks Axl,

Keith

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Estranged was and still is my favorite GnR song ever.  I loved it the first time I heard it, and that was before I ever thought to listen to the lyrics.  Musically it is a beautiful song.  Slash is amazing and made a pseudo-ballad as much of a guitar song as one could possibly be. 

Then I heard the lyrics.  The lyrics so fit where I was at that point in life...I had just broken up with my first love.  Lost.  Alone.  Cold.  Feeling betrayed.  Ready to give up.  Until "When I find out all the reasons..." kicks in.  Suddenly I don't feel alone.  Not because I'm not still alone, but because someone else understands how I feel.  Suddenly everything becomes clearer and what was dark has a silver lining.

I know I rag on Axl a lot.  I think a lot of it is because of this song.  I don't think he could ever write anything that could speak to me like this song did.  I don't think anybody could, but I still expect it from Axl since he did it once.  It is a big reason I think I am so disappointed in CD.  None of the songs speak to me at all.  Even though I love TWAT musically and the vocal melody is awesome, the words really are meaningless to me.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

There's one song on CD that speaks to me in that way, and it's...

Just a warning... pure awesomeness occurs at the 4:05 mark.

Anna
 Rep: 8 

Anna wrote:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Anna, I had a feeling it wouldn't be something from Chinese Democracy. tongue

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

November Rain for so many years was my favorite song of all time but in the early part of the 2000's my love for it slowly faded not sure why. Maybe I didn't relate to it anymore. Within the last six months though it's come full circle and it means a lot to me now and it's got that big nostalgia factor going for it.  It's not my favorite song of all time anymore but right now it's my favorite Gn'R song. As time goes on though that may change again but I guess what it boils down to is there's never been another Gn'R song that I've considerd as my definitve favorite so I guess ultimately it is November Rain 

I think Estranged deserves some huge honorable mentions though. The ending of that song is so damn epic. It means a lot to me as well but I guess there's just something about your "first love" and November Rain was my first love as far as songs go. All other songs were just  crushes up to that point.

Board footer