You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Rosario, Argentina - Salon Metropolitano (October 10, 2011)

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Just off the top of my head.

New songs for each tour:

2002: Oh My God, Rhiad, Madagascar, The Blues, Think About You, CD, Silkworms

2006: Better, TWAT, IRS, Down On The Farm, Nice Boys

2010: Sorry, Shackler, This I Love, Prostitute, Scraped, If The World, Estranged, Don't Cry

Maybe not Bob Dylan but more variation than some bands and I'd guess above average in general.

i think you're being a little generous with the truth there
how often did/have we hear/d OMG/Rhiad/Silkworms? did DOTF ever get aired or just appear in the setlist? TAY/TWAT/IRS have all been dropped, same with ITW i believe. take those four songs alone & recycle them with others in the setlist & a whole lot of complaints about the set would be forgotten - which really brings me to my point: how easy it would be for them, & how beneficial it would be to everyone, for them to change the setlist by three r four songs per night.

now what i don't get is the comparison to bob dylan & other bands. i know what you're trying to say but i just think it's irrelevant.
i believe GnR shouldn't be compared to what other bands do or have done. i think GnR should be calling their own tune - which is what they're actually doing, the problem is it's a boring one - & blaze their own trail, they should be making up their own rules & presenting their own live show without any influence from outsiders.

people were saying they were surprised @ the audiences reaction when Estranged dropped & about how that song has survived & flourished through the fanbase. well i wasn't surprised & i think GnR have another ten or so songs capable of having the same "holy shit!" moments @ GnR gigs. i have faith in the back catalogue & i know that people going to the shows would love to hear the likes of TAY/RNDTH/Civil War/Breakdown/Perfect Crime/DTJ. but it seems like Axl doesn't have that faith or he just doesn't care that much about what he is presenting to the fans.

Naltav said: "If 2006 is the last time you saw them, you'll most likely get plenty of songs you haven't seen live yet."

i say, even if 1986 is the last time you saw them, you'll most likely get plenty of songs you've seen live already.

we should be going into a GnR show completely unprepared for what's going to happen - Axl & the band shouldn't be the one's unprepared. obv we're gonna get SCOM/NR but there are 30 songs of GnR's own making they could play around the hits & that's where the unpredictability & spontaneity would come into it. they're meant to be a versatile rock n roll band not a bunch of overrehearsed showponies trotting out the same 18tracks per night in the same order.
there is so much scope for improving the live show but the band & captain don't seem to give a shit. get paid.

Sky Dog wrote:

paid and laid....:D

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The other night they played Another Brick In The Wall, Baba O'Reilly, James Bond Theme, Pink Panther Theme, Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and Live and Let Die.

8 cover songs. That's not counting the other GN'R and CD cover songs.

WHAT A BAND! roll

yeh they suck!  ill take your Orlando tix ! pm for mailing addy big_smile

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

John gets it.

I went to two back to back shows in 2006 and got identical setlists. As cool as the shows were, the lack of song changes really irriatated me, because it was lazy.

They didn't even have to do anything special, but maybe swap out CD on one show for Madagascar or Out Ta Get Me for Rocket Queen. Something like that.

Instead they did the exact same show. Had absolutely nothing to do with modern technology. It was a bummer to see IDENTICAL shows, that to this day because of identical setlists, I could not tell performances of the songs apart if someone had a loaded shotgun pointed at my nutsack.

I don't agree that it's because they're lazy.
It's more about giving the majority what they come for and throwing in some "new" songs for us diehards. And even giving into fans that have been screaming for Estranged for many years now!

If 2006 is the last time you saw them, you'll most likely get plenty of songs you haven't seen live yet.

Sounds to me like you're 90% satisfied with the setlist, since all you crave is that they swap a song or two. So if you're going to more than 1 show this time around, let's cross our fingers for you!

It has nothing to do with laziness.  What seems to be forgotten is that not everyone will go to multiple shows or back to back shows.  Some people will only go to one show.  And for those people, it may be irritating to swap out a more popular song, like "Live and Let Die" for an album track that is more obscure off the UYIs or CD or even a new song.  There is no perfect solution, really.  No way to appease everyone and all perspectives.

Ali

That looks like a pretty nice setlist   When I last saw them in 2006, they didn't play Estranged, This I Love, or Sorry.     Catcher in the Rye would be nice.

At this point I have zero expectation of new songs.  Haven't been following things that closely in the last couple years but I haven't seen anything to indicate there is new stuff being worked on by the band.   Its being touted as a tour where they play the classics.   I'll go see them if they come to Las Vegas or LA.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am catching the Atlanta show and expect that setlist. I am alright with it and don't expect anything new either. I'll be happy if they show up and have a decent crowd there.

johndivney wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'll be happy if they show up and have a decent crowd there.

lol

even those are unrealistic expectations

i half expect ali or naltav to come on & castigate you for expecting a "decent crowd" when we all know the eventual poor attendance in the states is basically down to modern technology! 19

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'll be happy if they show up and have a decent crowd there.

lol

even those are unrealistic expectations

i half expect ali or naltav to come on & castigate you for expecting a "decent crowd" when we all know the eventual poor attendance in the states is basically down to modern technology! 19

Castigate?  No, no castigating occurring here roll

Ali

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Just off the top of my head.

New songs for each tour:

2002: Oh My God, Rhiad, Madagascar, The Blues, Think About You, CD, Silkworms

2006: Better, TWAT, IRS, Down On The Farm, Nice Boys

2010: Sorry, Shackler, This I Love, Prostitute, Scraped, If The World, Estranged, Don't Cry

Maybe not Bob Dylan but more variation than some bands and I'd guess above average in general.

i think you're being a little generous with the truth there
how often did/have we hear/d OMG/Rhiad/Silkworms? did DOTF ever get aired or just appear in the setlist? TAY/TWAT/IRS have all been dropped, same with ITW i believe. take those four songs alone & recycle them with others in the setlist & a whole lot of complaints about the set would be forgotten - which really brings me to my point: how easy it would be for them, & how beneficial it would be to everyone, for them to change the setlist by three r four songs per night.

now what i don't get is the comparison to bob dylan & other bands. i know what you're trying to say but i just think it's irrelevant.
i believe GnR shouldn't be compared to what other bands do or have done. i think GnR should be calling their own tune - which is what they're actually doing, the problem is it's a boring one - & blaze their own trail, they should be making up their own rules & presenting their own live show without any influence from outsiders.

people were saying they were surprised @ the audiences reaction when Estranged dropped & about how that song has survived & flourished through the fanbase. well i wasn't surprised & i think GnR have another ten or so songs capable of having the same "holy shit!" moments @ GnR gigs. i have faith in the back catalogue & i know that people going to the shows would love to hear the likes of TAY/RNDTH/Civil War/Breakdown/Perfect Crime/DTJ. but it seems like Axl doesn't have that faith or he just doesn't care that much about what he is presenting to the fans.

Naltav said: "If 2006 is the last time you saw them, you'll most likely get plenty of songs you haven't seen live yet."

i say, even if 1986 is the last time you saw them, you'll most likely get plenty of songs you've seen live already.

we should be going into a GnR show completely unprepared for what's going to happen - Axl & the band shouldn't be the one's unprepared. obv we're gonna get SCOM/NR but there are 30 songs of GnR's own making they could play around the hits & that's where the unpredictability & spontaneity would come into it. they're meant to be a versatile rock n roll band not a bunch of overrehearsed showponies trotting out the same 18tracks per night in the same order.
there is so much scope for improving the live show but the band & captain don't seem to give a shit. get paid.

A few of them weren't mainstays, true. However if you're only watching one show per tour you can reasonably expect to hear at least a handful of new songs, and although they don't do it often 4 hour shows and encores with Nice Boys and Down On The Farm DOES still happen.

Of course I'd love for them to only have 7-8 hits and throw everything else around. Acoustic versions of Jungle etc. But very few big acts operate like that, Dylan being the only one I can think of, so I don't see any reason to expect it either. The old band was better in that regard, but they were still kinda rigid. Nothing exceptional.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i'm pretty sure i remember an old Axl interview where he mentions the setlists & says about not wanting to play the same songs for the exact reason i stated - that fans come to more than one show.

i might've just dreamed that tho..

back then, they did lol

Board footer