You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: All Original GUNS Members Will Be At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

Not on this tour they didn't. The settlement with Azoff assured that.

This may come as a surprise, but word of mouth plays a lot into generating interest.  It is an antiquated notion that a single show doesn't affect those who are not attending. They actually affect attendance at future shows and the interest of the fanbase.  News travels fast on the interweb, especially as setlists are parsed the morning after. Is it worth getting home at 4am on a workday to see the same show you saw already?

Personally, I can attest to quite a few old G&R fans who went to shows in 06/07 who stayed away this year simply b/c there wasn't much new in the offering. There are others who saw one show but were not attracted to going again b/c of the lack of variability. Perhaps this sample size is small, but it could be an endemic problem with what is going on. A rudderless ship touring for some reason unknown to the band, the fanbase, and the audience.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They're basically playing for a new crowd every night. I'm not sold that everyone is watching these streams. And as I've said before, the reviews have been stellar, even fan reviews.

Theyre playing the songs the fans want to hear. I'd love for them to play TWAT, ITW and IRS. If they were playing brand new songs would that make me see the band more than once? Probably not. ABout as much as if they played Perfect Crime or Yesterdays. I'd like a good boot for any new music. I'd really like them to release a new song in recorded form first. But, I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over it.

There are some signs that they might bust something new out on the Euro tour. Maybe they won't. I doubt the crowds over there will care, or be that heartbroken if it doesn't.

I'd think he'd want to roll out any new music the right way.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
killingvector wrote:
faldor wrote:

It'll never be enough for all parties involved.  You can't possibly please everyone.  Fact is, this band is so far behind the 8 ball, and have so much to make up for that there's no way they can win some people back.  Even if they start playing new songs and release a new album, there'll be people complaining that we were supposed to have THREE albums by 2012. 

I get the frustration, things have operated at a snails pace with this band, so it's understandable.  I don't fully understand why people seem so upset with the way things are going, yet they keep following the saga.  I guess their hearts are in the right place and they're hopeful, but the disappointments continue to pile up for them in the meantime.

I don't buy this, if you don't like it, get off the boat argument.

Well I didn't say you, or others, should leave if you don't like what's going on here.  My main point is, it seems to me that some people, maybe even you, are never going to be fully satisfied.  So these complaints and arguments don't hold much weight in my mind.  Are they viable?  Sure.  But some people are always going to find something to complain about.  Again, it's all how you view things.  You want to focus on what they're NOT doing.  I'd rather focus on what they ARE doing.  And as far as I'm concerned, it's not all that bad.  I heard from a friend who went to see them at Roseland the other night and he had a kick ass time.  He also saw them in CT, a few months ago and they basically played the same songs.  This time he got to hear "Civil War", but in CT they played some songs they didn't play the other night.  Believe it or not though, he had a GREAT time.  And I was a bit jealous.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

I never said everyone is watching these streams. But clearly the arena shows were not selling out. In the case of the fanbase, their attendance becomes much more important when the rest of the nation fails to show up.

G&R have been exclusively playing these hits since 2001. I don't know if you are sincerely going to argue that they can get away with a nostalgia tour every four or so years, but I certainly will argue that the band will continue to be in stasis mode, selling 6000 tickets or less per venue if this trend continues.

I think you truly underestimate the effect a new song can have on a tour. Especially a good one. Especially one tied to a movie and a single. Most bands tour on something, and not simply the past. G&R seem to feel different. Perhaps that is why their numbers have been so poor. Look at what Van Halen is doing right now.  Hell, even AC DC back when whispers of Chinese were in the air. It is possible to sell out based on a few decent new tracks and a solid catalog.

Well, my panties are in a bunch b/c Axl doesn't have another 20 years to figure this out. He is approaching the twilight of his career yet we have exactly one album of material since the old band busted.  Tours like this keep the porchlight on, produce poor attendance numbers, and pay salaried band members. And not much else unless you like to hear this band wail through Appetite's greatest hits yet again.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I never said everyone is watching these streams. But clearly the arena shows were not selling out. In the case of the fanbase, their attendance becomes much more important when the rest of the nation fails to show up.

G&R have been exclusively playing these hits since 2001. I don't know if you are sincerely going to argue that they can get away with a nostalgia tour every four or so years, but I certainly will argue that the band will continue to be in stasis mode, selling 6000 tickets or less per venue if this trend continues.

I think you truly underestimate the effect a new song can have on a tour. Especially a good one. Especially one tied to a movie and a single. Most bands tour on something, and not simply the past. G&R seem to feel different. Perhaps that is why their numbers have been so poor. Look at what Van Halen is doing right now.  Hell, even AC DC back when whispers of Chinese were in the air. It is possible to sell out based on a few decent new tracks and a solid catalog.

Well, my panties are in a bunch b/c Axl doesn't have another 20 years to figure this out. He is approaching the twilight of his career yet we have exactly one album of material since the old band busted.  Tours like this keep the porchlight on, produce poor attendance numbers, and pay salaried band members. And not much else unless you like to hear this band wail through Appetite's greatest hits yet again.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think YOU have more faith in this lineup than I do.  I don't think this lineup can do much better attendance wise, whether they have a new single, album, video, the ghost of Jimi Hendrix on lead guitar.  Okay, so maybe that last one could make a difference.

I think this lineup's potential is capped to where it is, in the US.  Maybe it could go up slightly.  But I don't foresee ANYTHING making a huge difference.  People have made up their minds that THIS isn't GNR.  A new single they like isn't going to change that fact.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see things.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

16 That is such fucking bullshit. It's not an everyday thing? You've never spoke to Axl about it? You don't know how to bring it up?  Whtaa  joke. If this is true it really shows how this band, even a guy that's been with Axl for this long, walks around on egg shells when it comes to Axl.  I can't for the life of me thik this topic has never been discussed. Whata  load of bullshit.

I'd totally believe that.

The impression I get of the guys relationship with Axl is this:

When GNR isn't doing anything they don't hear from him or speak to him at all for months on end. Someone in management keeps them in the loop via email of potential dates and vague plans. When it gets close to the time a tour is planned, if it isn't cancelled, the band meets up without Axl for a few sessions to sort out who plays what solo and get all the set list options they got on email to a place where they can do any track on a whim.

Then a tour will start. Axl and his people travel seperate from the rest of the band, but obviously they see each other on stage, and maybe sometimes after the show. When Axl does hang out with them he's completely friendly, just chilling out, telling jokes and taking the piss out of people. Sometime they go out for drinks with him and talk about bullshit but no business, just fun times. Sometimes Axl sends them a text or an email about music if he wants something in particular, but it's usually just for laughs and the fun guy he is to be around after a gig.

Sometimes you get the impression shits going down, something will upset him on stage, or he'll go off on a rant over the PA about someone who'se fucking up and how bad it is. On those days or in any moment where there's been an outburst he's whisked away afterward by Beta and crew. Silence follows. Followed by the next instructional email if there's some roll they have to do related to whatever was the problem. Next time they see Axl he either doesn't refer to it, or makes some self deprecating comment about how he's an ass but he's all jovial again and makes light of things. Things continue the same. Then the tour ends and we go on break for a few months. Eventually an email comes in and the process repeats.

If ever any recording happens it's just a case of doing every take you possibly can and sending it off to Axl who will analyse it all and rearrange at length...sometimes he'll ask for something specific but usually he's just interested in whatever you felt would be interesting in that spot. You do your thing, and go back to your own life until a tour email comes in.

It's all speculation but I'd be willing to bet that's how the band works, and in that sort of situation it's never really a good moment to bring up shit like the RRHOF. It's similar to how the band doesn't discuss the business bullshit. At the end of the day it's not the type of relationship they have with each other.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

the point is, if there`s no slash, there`s no gnr. it`s been that way since 1996 and will continue to be that way until he`s back in the band. axl had the chance to change it to a certain degree by releasing some kickass music and being out there to promote it, but we all know how that went down... at this point it seems, he doesn`t even want to change it anymore unlike 2001-2006.    don`t get me wrong, i enjoy chinese democracy with all the flaws it obviously has, i`m going to see the band live again this summer and i`d be more than happy to get a new album this year, but after all these years of bullshit, a reunion would be the only thing to save axl`s career outside of these fanboy forums. go and read mygnr and the bullshit that`s spewed over there. people completely out of touch with reality still doing the axl vs. slash thing and calling slash "saul", "mr. hudson" or "cancer"...  and all that`s happening at a time, when axl is basically trying to look like he did 25 years ago, trying to have gnr look and sound as they did 25 years ago and having a slash wannabe as lead guitarist, who behaves and sounds like him.  i don`t want to start a discussion wether dj ashba is a slash wannabe or not, but to the general public he certainly is...

logically this all leads to one thing: a reunion!   a reunion which probably won`t happen though, because axl is crazy...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I think people are forgetting that GN'R doesn't have that deep of a catalog, and what they do have are a lot of hits and a lot of songs fans are attached to. They're going to be playing these songs no matter what.

I'm sorry man, but every tour will be a nostalgia tour, especially when that band is over 20 years old. They aren't going to forsake the hits. And they're not going to play a majority CD show. That's not going to happen. And I just don't think a new song will help attendance, especially if they break it out on tour like they did last time.

The attendance basically hasn't changed since 2002. And tbh, that stuff doesn't matter to me.

I basically agree with you on your stances; Axl wasting time, blowing opportunities, the 02 line up was my favorite and I want to hear those songs by those players on it. But I have no control on what they play or who's in the band, or who's playing on the record. Nothing is going to change Axl. I don't have any desire to stick around solely wishing for a miracle (did that before 16) or complaining about what could've been, or what went down, or how unhappy and angry I am.

The only control I have is not follwoing the band. Not attending the show. I know the deal with the band. And I'm still here. I'm not saying no one has the right to complain or anything like that. Just belaboring the point(s) gets old after a while.

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

My bet is this : Dizzy will release a statement today & say he's been misquoted.

But if it does happen, that clown needs to be as far away as possible.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I am willing to bet that Axl and Slash have met quietly already, probably via Duff. Axl seems waaaay too calm and content these days and seems happy about this impending ceremony. This is not the behaviour of a man who is famously, notoriously easy to disturb, disrupt and shut down. He even bombed his own comeback album because he was pissed with Azoff so I have no doubt he would toss this ceremoney just as easily....

Remember how agitated Uncle Ax got people that disturb his peace..I'm thinking the '02 rants about the old band, I'm thinking back as far as Warren Beatty and Kurt Cobain, I'm thinking the Slash rants and Get in the Ring.

The guy is just far too calm at the moment.. I think he and Slash must have spoken or met and have decided that the war is over. I think Axl may have had this and some other issues laid to rest as part of some personal breakthrough. He's coming back to play in Dublin to make up for the last mess..that's not the Axl I rememeber..

Anyway, I hope they make up just to see what the little snakes in HTGTH have to say!!!

Board footer