You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Katy Perry

Bono wrote:

So I was on youtube tonight searching Jesse Venture videos and the next thing I know(hours later) I'm watching Katy Perry videos 16   Anyways I know we've had a few discussions about her in the past in a few different threads. I thought I might as well just start THE Katy Perry thread and maybe all stuff Katy can go in here. Anyways forget the debate on whether she's hot or not for a second and let's focus on the music.

Personally I like her as far as a pop star goes. I think she's good for pop music in the sense that it's really her music that does the talking and not her freak show image ala Gaga. I also believe her songs will stand the test of time far better than Lady Gaga's and other current pop stars. I only compare her to Lady gaga base don the perception that lady Gaga is some sort of pop icon while Katy Perry is a shitty pop star. Nothing could be further from the truth in my opinion.  Also say what you will about her ability to sing live I do respect the fact that she actually does sing live although with a backing track at times. The fact she puts herself out there flaws and all is cool when the accepted norm in pop music these days is to fake it.

Anyways I came across these two performances that I thought were pretty good. Needless to say she's not a perfect live singer but that shoudln't matter considering who this site is dedicated to. She tries though and that's what counts I think.  At least Dave Grohl agrees.

[youtube]JoF2loTXlec&feature=related[/youtube]

Clearly a  backing track in this one but clearly she is singing as well and sounds good.
[youtube]HEukkVaKZeA&feature=related[/youtube]

Let the bashing and defending begin 14

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I read the thread title and came in here to say how hard I'd do her 16

My niece loves her, so I listen to her all the time taking her to school and shit, so I listen to her stuff and I appreciate her for what she is: A pop star with a good voice.

Just glad my niece's favorite singer is Adell.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

I read the thread title and came in here to say how hard I'd do her 16

16 well and there's that

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Don't really know much about her, don't get me wrong I know she's popular etc etc, but I couldn't tell you 2 songs she sings, and I hated that I kissed a girl song.  However I happened to see this performance a few months ago, and was impressed.  I'd rather she ditch the pop music & routine, but she won't.  Likely it'll tarnish her long term legacy.  I view her as Madonna's Cyndi Lauper or Britneys Christina.  Batmans' Robin essentially.

Taylor Swift, now her I respect for not resorting to shit pop & doing what she does & doing it well.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Who knows maybe she'll pull a reverse Nelly Furtado. Nelly Furtado was a respected artists and then she exploded in 2005 with her "pop" album and basically ruined her reputation as a credible artist. Maybe Katy Perry will do it the opposite way.  Who are you saying she's the Cyndi Lauper or Christina to.... Lady Gaga?

Taylor Swift seems like a  nice girl but her and her music is boring as hell I think.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

She's got a good rack.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Bono wrote:

Who are you saying she's the Cyndi Lauper or Christina to.... Lady Gaga?

Obvi. Surely you don't think Perry is more famous than Lady Gaga?? Lady Gaga is a household name, Katy Perry is famous. Case in point, I bet all our Mom's know who Lady Gaga is.  Probably 50% would know who Katy Perry is.

#1                        #2
Madonna           Cindy Lauper
Britney              Aguilera
Lady Gaga         Katy Perry

In terms of fame.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Katy who?

Bono

Bono wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Bono wrote:

Who are you saying she's the Cyndi Lauper or Christina to.... Lady Gaga?

Obvi. Surely you don't think Perry is more famous than Lady Gaga?? Lady Gaga is a household name, Katy Perry is famous. Case in point, I bet all our Mom's know who Lady Gaga is.  Probably 50% would know who Katy Perry is.

#1                        #2
Madonna           Cindy Lauper
Britney              Aguilera
Lady Gaga         Katy Perry

In terms of fame.

Katy Perry has more twitter followers than Gaga and she has more "likes" on facebook for whatever that's worth. Katy Perry has more #1 singles than Gaga. Lady Gaga is a house hold name based of her shit, show freak show, try hard image. Her music is ok but it's her whole "let's fake being eccentric" that makes her popular.

Bono

Bono wrote:

yeah yeah Adele is good.  Doesn't make it a Katy who as if she's non existant. By these rights you could say Gaga who? Or Rihanna who? Just because one person is good doesnt' wipe out all the other "arists" to the point they don't matter. Adele's got talent for sure but we'll see what happens on her follow up. Apparently she's said she's taking five years off now to focus on her relationship.  WTF?

Board footer