You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Why do people shit on Steven Adler?

I have no problems with Adler. He is really cool to fans on twitter and all that and I understand his frustrations with not being able to communicate with Axl and the other guys like the old days. I'm glad him and Slash are cool and on good terms again. The same with Matt too which is really cool despite all the drama over the years. Matt's a great drummer and took alot of heat when he replaced Adler. He deserves to be treated as an equal member of GNR in the induction. I have the song "Alive" from Adler's Appetite on my ipod and it's just a powerhouse rocking tune. The drumming, (COWBELL-GASM), the vocals of Rick Stitch, and the guitar attack with a grooving bass  riff from Chips is solid. I wish some of those guys didn't leave cause that would of provided Steven with like the perfect comeback band. The guy can still play pretty great.  I'm hoping things work out with his new project. Can't wait to hear Slash's guitar parts. I know Steve will be at the Rock Hall induction before anyone lol I also like the song he did for Slash's solo record, Baby Can't Drive. In my personal opinion, the song kicks ass. I didn't expect Nichole from the Pussycat Dolls to have a good rock voice with the man, Mr. Alice Cooper. Flea did great too. Let's just see what happens next month I guess.

On Adler's Mom, It is rather irritating of having him promote her book. Not going to go into anything else about it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He was an original member that got booted by his own band. That doesn't happen often. The fact that he had the supposed easiest position to hold, a non writing drummer, adds to the embarrassment of his character. So does his attitude since.

Best drummer for GN'R, no doubt, but he really is a sad case.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but his attitude since is fair enough.

Think about it in human terms. He grows up a little kid wanting to be a rock star. He winds up in a band with Axl AND slash in the same band for fuck's sake. They record an album that's one of the greatest records of all time. He does the rock star thing like his idols did before him and parties hard. Only it goes a bit far and he can't learn to control it. Suddenly he's out of the band - no forgiveness - it's just over. His life dream is gone.

Not to mention they didn't even try sending him to rehab. To put this in perspective - guys like Dave Mustaine went to rehab 17 times before he got clean. How many times has Steven Tyler got clean? But they didn't give him much of a chance..They just cut him loose. He's in a band with one of his childhood best mates ffs and when the chips came down it was easier for them to get rid of him than deal with his bullshit. Not to mention he's thrown out for being a junkie??? WTF...Slash was a long term hardcore drug user and Izzy was a fucking dealer at some stage. Hell Duff was so drunk most days I'm not sure how he dressed himself. Come on.

I'd get it now if he joined VR and was using these days when duff and slash are sober and buff and stuff - but throwing him out back then for not being clean with out a clear warning and without attempting to fix him up properly is pretty harsh! Considering everyone in the band was a fuck up and they'd all somehow made the dream come true.

Then the band goes on to become the biggest band on the planet (at the time) and one of the all time greats.

How the fuck do you come back from that? There's no living with that and being normal.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

With another guy, it wouldn't be the same record and it wouldn't be among the best rock albums ever.

I love Adler, but I do think that's pushing it a little. I'm sure if Duff, Izzy, Slash and Axl had recorded AFD with Matt in 1987 it would still have gone on to be a smash album - I mean SCOM, Jungle, PC, songs that a lot of people relate to the harmonies, guitar and lyrics of as well as the drumming.

But it is undeniable that Steven's drums do add a layer of awesome, in particular, Mr Brownstone was never the same without him.

Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

I also like the song he did for Slash's solo record, Baby Can't Drive. In my personal opinion, the song kicks ass. I didn't expect Nichole from the Pussycat Dolls to have a good rock voice with the man, Mr. Alice Cooper

Totally agree 9 The song was pretty much shit canned on here from memory, and I'll grant lyrically it's a comedy song rather than a serious piece due to the subject matter - but that chick really gets the rock-screamy vibe happening, Alice is always great, and steven really adds the feel on the drums. It's a real fun track. Should have been on the primary album not just the special editions I think.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

People look back in hindsight like AFD was a can't miss album when in reality it wasn't such a sure thing.

SCOM hit or GNR may be nothing in our memories.

Steven supposedly got Slash to keep playing the intro and not dismiss it.. Steven's drums are amazing on SCOM.... when they kick in after intro.. its so fucking swingable and groovy.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

monkeychow wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

With another guy, it wouldn't be the same record and it wouldn't be among the best rock albums ever.

I love Adler, but I do think that's pushing it a little. I'm sure if Duff, Izzy, Slash and Axl had recorded AFD with Matt in 1987 it would still have gone on to be a smash album - I mean SCOM, Jungle, PC, songs that a lot of people relate to the harmonies, guitar and lyrics of as well as the drumming.

But it is undeniable that Steven's drums do add a layer of awesome, in particular, Mr Brownstone was never the same without him.

Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

I also like the song he did for Slash's solo record, Baby Can't Drive. In my personal opinion, the song kicks ass. I didn't expect Nichole from the Pussycat Dolls to have a good rock voice with the man, Mr. Alice Cooper

Totally agree 9 The song was pretty much shit canned on here from memory, and I'll grant lyrically it's a comedy song rather than a serious piece due to the subject matter - but that chick really gets the rock-screamy vibe happening, Alice is always great, and steven really adds the feel on the drums. It's a real fun track. Should have been on the primary album not just the special editions I think.

I agree on what you said on the Adler and Sorum comment.
Yeah same here. I was really pissed that they didn't offer it with the album. My favorite song off of Slash's solo LP is Doctor Alibi ft. Lemmy and then it has to be Beautiful Dangerous, By the Sword, and Back to Cali. Thanks for backing me up with this, Monkey. Alice is going to be immortal man! Him and Weird AL. Those guys get better with age! Like you said, it's just a fun rock n' roll song that could of been made in the late 70s or early 80s in my opinion. It has the vibe of it. Not anything to be taken seriously in terms of lyrics and structure.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

Steven supposedly got Slash to keep playing the intro and not dismiss it.. Steven's drums are amazing on SCOM.... when they kick in after intro.. its so fucking swingable and groovy.

yeah great point actually.

I might be wrong with what I was saying about it working with matt - i think it would work if they gave matt the finished tracks to drum on -  but then from  the songwriting in the room pov it might just have never happened. As you've said - jamming with a dude in the room is way different than writing alone - a lot of these things are chance too - like dynamics of friends and trying stuff out.

Adler often broke Axl's balls I gather. Which may make him a dick or it may have been justified who knows. But i'm sure the enviroment may have contributed to the situation that made those songs get written. Like how Izzy being Axl's friend in the band is widely considered to have bridged any problems with Slash.

Lomax wrote:

Why do people shit all over this Steven Adler?

Couldn't imagine why.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

that video is sad.

But then Slash has died at least twice from Heroin addiction.

Izzy was also a serious drug user.

Duff drank so much parts of his insides melted.

Axl didn't abuse drugs to the same extent but is said to have frequently smashed up parts of his house, and pushed his piano out a window not to mention the talk of physical abuse to others.

All of these men have dark parts in their lives, which were not pretty, yet all of them have made some great music, but for some reason steven doesn't get the respect the others have.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl used drugs, he just didn't abuse drugs like the others.

I think he's copped to drinking excessively, doing coke daily, and he even OD'ed on Heroin himself.

That's where the lyrics for "Coma" came from that experience. Can't remember if it was him or Slash who OD'ed and nearly died first.

But because it happened before GN'R found major success, it's not reported often.

That's why everyone thought Axl was a "double talkin' jive mother fucker" when he threatened the band about their abuse of stuff he used to use.

Board footer