You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Robin Finck Discussion

Olorin wrote:

34nqolj.jpg

"They see me rollin'... they hatin."

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Robin's TIL solo is probably my favourite moment on CD, I hated it at first but then I learned to like it, now I love it big_smile

bobo
 Rep: -7 

bobo wrote:

olorin, robin's TIL solo is pretty SWEET and EPIC

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

so is ashba's remake

bobo

bobo wrote:

ashba's live playing of robin's studio TIL solo is a DISGRACE

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

no more than finck's live version of november rain

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Got to love that Vai video.

Not to derail the thread...but the bass player in that video is Philip Bynoe who I've had the honour of doing a recording with and let me tell you it was an honour. He's a gentleman and an incredible musician.

As for Vai. He makes things look so easy. What can be fun is to watch other people cover his songs. I've seen people with chops far better than mine play a version - and when it gets to the fast bit they get all sloppy - (although still great) but it's only then you truly start to realise the precision guys like vai and satch operate with. When they do it it looks cool and easy, but when someone else nearly does it, you can see the impossibility clearer!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

. robin's solos on cd2 will be on cd2. nothing dj or bumble can do about it. no matter how many songs dj says he's writing to the press.

I would assume the best of Robin's work will be kept for CD2.

But I would also speculate that DJ will be added in places where he has something to contribute. Be that guitars or other production. I also wouldn't be surprised if the new band added a song to go with the 2000era material.

It's one of the things that makes CD2 an interesting idea. You can have a band with Bucket, Robin, DJ, Bumble, Richard and Paul in the one place.

bobo wrote:

it's all about touring for axl. like motley crue and kiss. all about touring for them too. goin on the TOUR. axl has been on many TOURS since 2001.

This is the way it is for most bands since these days hardly anyone pays for recorded music anymore.

bobo wrote:

robin stepped up when no one else would touch axl and did the chinese democracy record.

Given Axl is one of the most famous frontmen in the world, and in 1993 was at the peak of his fame pretty much, I'd be shocked if no one else wanted to work with him.

bobo wrote:

the problem is dj and bumble want their spot on cd2. with little to no impact from robin, bucket, and brain on cd2. they want their spots. they don't want to wait. they look out for themselves. they don't respect what's been done by robin

Actually DJ and Bumble have been very respectful to all past band members whenever they're asked a question about anyone.

I don't doubt they are also keen to record as GNR but I certainly couldn't fault them for being the active members of a band and wanting to record as the band.

bobo wrote:

so it would be big if robin returns to the band and axl cuts both dj and bumble. cuts the band down. cuts it down to what it was in the 80's and 90's before dizzy reed.

Firstly I think Robin appeared as a guest appearance and probably not as replacing DJ. Secondly, there's nothing to suggest that if he did rejoin the band that Axl would also strip-down the band and get rid of Bumble, Dizzy, Chris or whatever and return it to a 5 piece. If robin did rejoin I think you'd still see the full line up ala the 2006 tour.

bobo wrote:

because what robin did that night felt like the REUNION with slash at HOF. that's how big Robin's presence and performance was on the up close and personal tour with the band known as guns n roses

Well I'm sure to some CD era fans Robin's presence is of extreme importance. Although I also think if he rejoined full time it would piss off as many people as it pleased, as a lot of people do not like the way he covers Slash's parts.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bobo

bobo wrote:
war wrote:

no more than finck's live version of november rain

finck plays sweet child, november rain great. dj ashba doesn't