You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Are/Were you a Scott Weiland/STP Fan?

Sky Dog wrote:

never, but I do like a few songs, maybe 5 total...Vaseline, Interstate, etc. Certainly a pretty good band but I don't think they hold up against other hard rock groups from their era Like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam,  Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Tool, etc. I don't like anything about Scott Weiland as an individual.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I liked the early stuff from STP - Core and Purple.  The STP stuff post those albums didn't do a lot for me.

I really like Weilands voice particularly on some of the ballads, e.g. Creep or Messages. 

Unfortunately I think he is a front man that should only play live on radio.  I simply can't stand watching the guy.  Now I have to qualify this in saying that I have never seen him live so perhaps I would change my mind if I did.  But watching boots of VR concerts etc I just don't think he's even a front mans arsehole.  Plus don't get me started on that fucking megaphone he uses either....

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

STP is a good band from their era with some great songs.   But Weiland pales in comparison to other guys from his era like Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, even Eddie Vedder.

I agree, he's good but that group is GREAT.  Scott tried way to hard to look/sound like Layne when STP (or Mighty Joe Young in reality) started, much moreso than sounding like Eddie Vedder.  I have some pics where he even died his hair to look exactly like Layne's, sideburns and all.  I do feel by the second album (Purple) Scott came into his own more and a few albums later definitely had his own sound.  While I can't honestly say I like STP as much as Alice, Soundgarden or Pearl Jam I can honestly say they are one of my favorite "90's bands" and I like quite a bit of their music.  Scott with VR hasn't done much for me but I would love to get my hands on some new STP music.  I think they still have gas in the tank if Scott can just not go out like Layne did, that's one imitation I hope Scott will pass on.

***I was just listening to "Big Empty" and I have to say that I actually like STP fairly close to both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.  I'd forgotten how much I liked these guys...but NOONE compares to Alice in Chains for the best group from the 90's!! (ok...they actually started in the late 80's but so did Nirvana for that matter, and Mother Love Bone was the real root of Pearl Jam and they started in the late 80's as well!! 13)

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Three favorite 'grunge era' bands- STP, AIC, Soundgarden.

Since Neemo failed to put up an option for us younger posters, i had to choose the first option, because none of the other ones fit. 

STP is damn good.  Scott's lyrics may not be the best and most clear out there, but backed by Robert's bass, Eric's drums, and Deans guitar they were definently a powerhouse.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

why no option for hating STP/Scott?  Back in the 90's I absolutely hated Scott and by association STP.  My one friend loves them, but I used to always rag on him / them b/c of Scotts substance abuse problems.  I tolerate him now only b/c I figure he must be good if Slash, Duff, and Matt saw something in him.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Since Neemo failed to put up an option for us younger posters, i had to choose the first option, because none of the other ones fit.

sorry maybe option one should say, always been a fan

Tommie wrote:

why no option for hating STP/Scott?

cuz i didnt wanna turn this thread to a bash fest...youre either a fan or not  so why bring hate into it at all?

regardless only 33% of the people who've voted even like stp after purple and onl 20% even knew about stp before VR so its no surprise i guess that not many of you like VR sad

its weird though i woulda figured more gnr fans woulda liked STP hmm

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Neemo, it works the same the other way around.

Most STP fans don't like GNR either and rag on Axl for being a pompous asshole who can't release a record.

Both sides have valid points.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

STP fans dont have to worry about Axl though...but a fan of Old GnR tunes can still like Slash, Duff and Matt

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Well, i mus admit to not knowing enough of the STP work to pronounce myself and i would have to say that scott weiland is a good artist, as to being a fan ? No, as of now anyway. Liker, not fan ?

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I picked "I have loved STP since '93".  Although in reality I wouldn't say loved.  I've always liked them though.  I think the last two albums were extremely underrated, No. 4 specifically. 

I still don't own the 1st two though.  Years ago I went to Best Buy specifically because I thought I should own at least one of them(I still think that... but anyway).  When I got there I saw that the Greatest Hits album had just come out and came with a dvd, so I got that instead.  That dvd is fantastic, I watch it way more than I listen to the actual cd.

Board footer