You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: AXL ROSE Reportedly Close to Losing Lawsuit Against ACTIVISION For Fea

Gibbo wrote:

AXL ROSE Reportedly Close to Losing Lawsuit Against ACTIVISION For Featuring SLASH - Jan. 31, 2013

The Pulse Of Radio reports that GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose looks like he may lose his $20 million lawsuit filed against video game giant Activision Blizzard, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Rose sued the company in November 2010, claiming that it used an image of former GUNS guitarist Slash in Guitar Hero III after promising him that the game would not feature any reference to Rose's ex-bandmate. Rose claimed that was a condition of him agreeing to license the song "Welcome To The Jungle" for use in the game.

However, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge indicated on Thursday (January 31) that he is inclined to dismiss Rose's suit because he did not file it until a full three years after the game's October 2007 release. Rose has said that he was not aware of Slash's image in the game until later, although documents in the case indicated that an attorney for the singer emailed Activision about it around the time the game came out.

Rose said in a deposition, "The reason I did not file a lawsuit is because Activision — through my managers and representatives — offered me a separate video game and other business proposals worth millions of dollars to resolve and settle my claims relating to Guitar Hero III."

He added, "From December 2007 through November 2010, Activision was offering me a GUNS N' ROSES-dedicated video game, a game dedicated to music from the 'Chinese Democracy' album, and other proposals."

Although Rose's legal team tried to point to emails suggesting that an agreement was in place for Activision to not use any images or music related to Slash, Judge Charles Palmer responded, "The only extrinsic evidence supports Activision's interpretation and does not support Rose's interpretation."

WARNING DONT READ THE COMMENTS PEOPLE HAVE MADE BELOW "Negitive"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m … mID=185648

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I always thought this was incredibly lame on Axl's part. I feel no different today. Such a douche move in my opinion

*I took a big risk posting that. Not sure if it's going to be interpreted as me telling others to go suck some cock and if it portrays me as someone who HATES the new lineup. I just don't know......

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, the thing is, Axl's argument is right. Activision lied and used Slash's name and likeness in conjunction with a GN'R song to promote the game. Which considering Slash wasn't in GN'R anymore, and Axl was trying to move on without him, I can understand how Axl would be pissed.

If Activision used Slash and just used VR and Snakepit tunes, that'd be fine, but the game made out like Slash was still an active member of GN'R, which was in breach of the agreement they came to with Axl as far as we know.

And as it turns out, they used Slash for the game's promotion along with WTTJ, it sold bucketloads, and made Slash an even more iconic rock guitar figure than he already is.
That must've burned Axl up inside.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, the thing is, Axl's argument is right. Activision lied and used Slash's name and likeness in conjunction with a GN'R song to promote the game. Which considering Slash wasn't in GN'R anymore, and Axl was trying to move on without him, I can understand how Axl would be pissed.

If Activision used Slash and just used VR and Snakepit tunes, that'd be fine, but the game made out like Slash was still an active member of GN'R, which was in breach of the agreement they came to with Axl as far as we know.

And as it turns out, they used Slash for the game's promotion along with WTTJ, it sold bucketloads, and made Slash an even more iconic rock guitar figure than he already is.
That must've burned Axl up inside.

Yeah, that's how I viewed it too.

Regardless, more evidence of the ridiculousness Axl deals with from "winning" the GNR name after all these years.  Yay! 5

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The Criminal Justice system, indeed. Axl is totally right, that game promoted Slash more than him and just because it's 3 years ago it doesn't matter?

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

So the company screw you over by using Slash's image (I cannot believe it took an attorney to tell him the news btw, the game was literally everywhere) which was a fundamental principal of the deal, but that's suddenly ok if they offer you a reciprocal deal? Sounds naive if you ask me.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash wrote those guitars, not whoever played then in the band that holds the Guns N' Roses name. Axl can't rewrite history, however hard he's trying.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

It's no wander the guy struggles with creativity. Contracts, lawyers etc, Yawn

I'm guessing slash would have had to sign off on the use of his image and he knew that would have pissed Axl off?

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

So the company screw you over by using Slash's image (I cannot believe it took an attorney to tell him the news btw, the game was literally everywhere) which was a fundamental principal of the deal, but that's suddenly ok if they offer you a reciprocal deal? Sounds naive if you ask me.

I suppose it shows he's not stubborn enough to turn down what he considered fair compensation.

But sounds like he got outsmarted here. Activisions laywers probably knew very well they could present this argument if they strung him along for the necessary time period.

Typical for a modern corporation. Maximizing profits with no adherence to ethics, morals or even the law may make sense from an immediate profit stand point, but I don't see how it makes sense long term. When the mafia shows more care and aptness in customer relations you got a problem.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash wrote those guitars, not whoever played then in the band that holds the Guns N' Roses name. Axl can't rewrite history, however hard he's trying.

Axl may want to rewrite history but he's still entitled to refuse his work to be used in a way he doesn't see fit. Obviously you don't want your ex guitarist to front the band in a major release just when you're about to release a big comeback album.

Board footer