You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

monkeychow wrote:

It probably depends on the importance of the guitar parts to the listener.

For example most people here don't like myles because he doesn't have Axl's stage presence, they don't like his tone, and he doesn't have rasp. But at least he usually sings the correct words and he sings the tune correctly.

That's what DJ does too. He's been accused of being "Slash-lite" and so on, and of course everyone plays with their own fingers - but he's playing the songs with the 'correct' melodies.

But what Robin does to me would be like if Myles got out there and rapped a verse. Or decided to sing the vocals with a new melody for just one line at the end of occasional verses. You can't help but think "Dude that's not how it goes".

I don't think everyone listens to the guitar as much as me...but when you do it's borderline offensive to listen to.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Here's an example....

Listen to this at 3:39.....robin destroys the first half of the solo, then bucket comes in with the shred part to save the day...but even so...the musical effect of the original solo is completely lost...and if you're a fan of the song and grew up listening to it...this is not what you want to hear from GNR...it's not how you are singing along in your head.....and frankly...the first half of the solo just sounds outright BAD....

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Just so I know how sensitive you are to this stuff (my musical ear is not very good), would you characterize his playing on the SCOM solo I posted to be a good example of what you're talking about?

Edit: Alright, that was a good example. I totally agree with you on that one, but I never felt it was endemic or anything (YCBM is probably one of those songs the new band has never gotten right, Axl included). Do you feel the same about scom or other songs?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

he's every bit the hack I would have been trying to replace Slash in GnR and I don't pretend to be a professional guitar player.

Since when have you and Bono been sharing accounts? 14

16 Some of you are really starting to lose it. When have I ever called Robin or any of the member hacks? For years I've said I hated Robin's stge presece but I've also been consistent(Not ID's definition of consistent 16 ) in my opinion the best guitar parts on CD are Robin's but carry on. It's rather commical now how some of you just thrive on making things up.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Not talking about the hack part, talking about "I could do just as good part". That you have said.

But to be fair to buzz, at least he only thinks he can do as good as Robin. You think you can do as good as Axl.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

For what it's worth, the guitars are very important to me. In fairness, that solo on YCBM is a hot mess (not to mention Brain's botched intro). But you have your hits and misses. I was going to say that I never think of Slash when I listen to Robin, but I realized that's totally untrue. In fact, my brain is expecting Slash's solos, so when he goes off on his own the differences jump out hugely to me.

BUT, for what GNR might have morphed into back in the Robin/Bucket days, I got some major thrills out of those changes. The good ones were really awesome, especially if you bought into a new direction. The bad ones were bad, but that's the price of experimenting. And I think that would have continued to smooth out over time, as they "found" their new parts. Sort of like how DJ totally butchered This I Love at first, til he said fuck it and put his own voice on it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Not talking about the hack part, talking about "I could do just as good part". That you have said.

But to be fair to buzz, at least he only thinks he can do as good as Robin. You think you can do as good as Axl.

16 who coudln't make a good album with a 10+ million dollar budget, world class musicians at their disposal and 10+ years of free time on their hands  to work with. It's not a stretch to think given the same circumstances I or you or anyone could come up with something just as good as CD.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Just so I know how sensitive you are to this stuff (my musical ear is not very good), would you characterize his playing on the SCOM solo I posted to be a good example of what you're talking about?

Not really.

I mean I'm not asking for note-perfect versions of the records - hell lots of players - Slash included - like to improvise and do variations of the theme - but there's a fine line between playing something a little different each time around the same musical ideas which is ok and just degenerating into something like that YCBM solo above where the musical effect of the original solo is lost.

The clip you posted from SCOM is kinda ok to me. Taking into account that everyone plays in their own style, and that any live performance has potential for errors or inter-active excitement based modifications to the solo, I'd call that version ok.

For preference I'd still choose a good Slash performance over it, I'm not a fan of the changes he made in the re-recorded version either - but at least the bulk of the solo is correct and  if Robin was to play all solos that faithfully I'd see him as someone who played mostly faithfully to the record....like DJ does.

To be honest though...I think SCOM was one of his better tracks...the rest of AFD was much more questionable.

polluxlm wrote:

Edit: Alright, that was a good example. I totally agree with you on that one, but I never felt it was endemic or anything (YCBM is probably one of those songs the new band has never gotten right, Axl included). Do you feel the same about scom or other songs?

Well it's not every time...but it's often enough to get to me.

For example - I didn't have that YCBM thing lined up ready to use as proof. It was simply just now that I went "Hmm...I'll find an example" and so punched in some robin-era dates into youtube and found that one pretty much straight away - so I don't think it's an isolated incident...

He did get better by 2006...but I dunno....I'd be happy to have him on a new album....but his AFD/UYI stuff is just way too patchy for me to want to bring him back as a full time live player in the band. DJ is doing it better than him for the most part and Fortus easily could. So it wouldn't make sense to me.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

There's also the factor for me that I love it when songs get changed up in live performances. Again, not excusing the few wet farts here and there, but changing up what's expected and taking it in new directions can be pretty cool.

Board footer