You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Ron says 'Just Forget About A New Record Until It Happens'

BLS-Pride wrote:

I need to hear what's finished in the vault. For closure if anything. All those years waiting and waiting. Kills me there is more material from that era supposedly. Especially from Axl. His lyrics and vibe on those tracks. I was hoping for more anger and venom on CD. If you think about it, if there are a bunch other songs then they have to touch on that aspect. Where is the rage from the fall out of old band. It has to be there. His take on his musical exile. That's the essence of a great rock and roll record. Raw emotion.

Also I ve been really intrigued to hear more of buckets influence especially with Brain behind the kit. Tommy is rock and roll. He embodies it more than any other new member. Hopefully Axl harnessed that.

Id also like to see this line up crank one out but I just can't see it happening. They seem to have chemistry but Axl doesn't seem to be into on a record level. Just more wasted time.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

I`m beginning to think that after debacle that was Chinese Democracy ( I love it ) Axl can`t be bothered to go through that same hell again and release new album in foreseeable future

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Maybe because he`s shitty "guitarist" ? does n`t have enough skills to be a lead guitarist ? I don`t understand why is DJ Ashba in Guns N`Rosse when Ron and Richard are excellent guitarists they can handle guitars just fine without Mr. "look at me I`m such a rockstar" Ashba. Maybe because everything he writes is generic, mediocre, emo pop rock dirge ?

I hear you on the "look at me I'm a rockstar" part....mind you...if I got into GNR i'd probably pull those poses too....you only live the dream some lifetimes....anyway...I see that side of him....in that sometimes his stage presence seems almost to be
"trying too hard" - compared to some rockstars who seem to be just naturally charismatic.

Anyway, so i agree partially, but I'm not real sure what the problem is with his playing. I mean we're debating vault vs a new album - and I struggle to think a DJ based new track would be significantly more "hackish" than tracks from Robin or dare I mention him Paul Huge. Not saying any of them are hacks - but in terms of doesn't have the chops he's no worse to me than others who have written songs for GNR.

As for it being generic...hmmm.....I dunno I think that's more about who he works with...like Nikki is the king of hooky pop rock songs....I think when you isolate the guitar parts some of it is kinda tasty in it's own way....

If Axl wanted to do rock stuff like that I'm sure he'd make it far from generic....

One thing I'll give you though is richard...guy has mega chops...love to see him shred it out more.....

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting what you say BLS about the angry Axl aspect....I remember he gave that interview where he said how he's still learning when to vent and when it doesn't work in a song or something like that.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Interesting what you say BLS about the angry Axl aspect....I remember he gave that interview where he said how he's still learning when to vent and when it doesn't work in a song or something like that.

I think it's only a matter of taking his pills.

Just take this quote from Axl (2001):

Nothing about happiness and love made sense to him (Slash). That was the reason why he hated "Sweet Child O' Mine". He only wanted to write songs about drugs and sadness.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … ticleid=37

Well, I don't think the lyrics of Slash's post-GN'R catalogue would have been so negative (the first VR is an obvious exception). On the other hand, CD mostly has dark lyrical moments, a bitter man's album. 

You just can't take Axl's word of yesterday to mean anything today. His opinion is changing with the wind... He's only consistent in hating Slash.

I do agree that hate and bitterness are his driving factors. Without these, Axl can't write. (On the other hand, these negative feelings also can kill his creativity.)

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not saying Ron's wrong of course....but my only questions would be...

Did they write together "as a band" for CD1 and did that happen with all the guys in the studio together? As my understanding is that whole album was intricately crafted by Axl and his editors piecing together stuff people did pretty much in isolated sessions.

i think it was a bit of a mixture. in general axl wasn't there - he never usually is. i think his theory is he doesn't need to be there all the time as he isn't playing an instrument.
i think the other guys did work together in the studio. it's where a lot of the tensions between them came to boil - tommy/bh, bh/everyone else. i might be wrong in that. & then when rtb came on board the [chicken] shit that had hit the fan was scooped up & thrown again.
but axl & caram cut & pasted what they felt like after the fact.

maybe something like that?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

You just can't take Axl's word of yesterday to mean anything today. His opinion is changing with the wind... He's only consistent in hating Slash.

Yeah I know what you mean...but other than the crack about Slash and Duff and Steph mocking his writing and it breaking his confidence I found this interesting:

"I was trying to figure out what I wanted to say – when it’s right to be venting, and when you’re digging a bigger hole.”

That made me wonder if he holds back angry songs now. Like the shotgun blues, get in the rings and one in a millions of the world....maybe he thinks it's best not to channel that side? I dunno...i'd love some more passionate angry axl though!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Rex wrote:

I guess "soon" is no longer the word.

To be fair, soon wasn't really the word before either.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Do a poll, what would you prefer to hear:

1) New album from current line-up
2) New album from vault

I'm interested in both. But what I really want to hear is

3) something, anything, for the love of God!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Rex wrote:

I guess "soon" is no longer the word.

To be fair, soon wasn't really the word before either.

Every time I see "No Country For Old Men", and the gas station scene in the beginning, I think of Axl. Anton was right, "soon" sounds good but it doesn't really have to mean anything. It could be years.

Board footer