You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII

monkeychow wrote:

Dear god I hope they make NO reference to them being old.

What's wrong with us that we think only young people can be engaged in an interesting story?

Indiana Jones 4 would have been ok if it wasn't for the self conscious way they mention he's too old every 5 seconds.

I hope for a fresh starwars story with new ideas focused on new characters.

And if luke and han and people return then it's in rolls that's sensible to what those people would now be doing at 50.

Luke would have become a respected jedi master - maybe along the way to being a new yoda. Or maybe he went dark afterall and is the new emperor or whatever the story is. But don't have him acting 25 most of the movie then busting out quips about how he aint got it like he used to.

I'd like the story to be about new people. So it's about how you and I might go save the galaxy - if we went to see Han it might be like how you'd go see Bill Clinton or George Bush Senior or whatever to get his advice or something....but it's no longer a story about those people.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Also just for realism.

As they say in Die Hard - how many times can the same thing happen to the same guy?

How many times is it plausible in the whole universe that Han is the guy who saves the day? I love han...but he's had his story now...work him in because he'd still be alive and in a respected position in society...but I hope it's not his kid who saves the day.

part of the problem with the prequels was that thinking - that in a universe of persons to choose from - the same 3 familys children are pivotal over many different generations to the fate of everyone. Things like making jango fett. Not logical.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The Fett thing is kinda Die Hardish, but I feel you can get away with the others. They're not just any family, they're a family (Han's kids would still be part of the Skywalker line) where the grandfather is at the head of a dynasty. He's the right hand man in the empire. In history it's not unheard of for kids or even grand kids to be big players in those situations. On the contrary it's pretty common.

Luke is about the only force user left. Makes sense he'd play a part in the rebellion, makes sense he might end up having a relationship with his father as a consequence of that, makes sense he'd become a big player in the government after playing such a large part in winning the rebellion, makes sense any kids he has also could play significant parts later (themselves being apt in the force and having all the high level connections).

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Dear god I hope they make NO reference to them being old.

What's wrong with us that we think only young people can be engaged in an interesting story?

Indiana Jones 4 would have been ok if it wasn't for the self conscious way they mention he's too old every 5 seconds.

I hope for a fresh starwars story with new ideas focused on new characters.

And if luke and han and people return then it's in rolls that's sensible to what those people would now be doing at 50.

Luke would have become a respected jedi master - maybe along the way to being a new yoda. Or maybe he went dark afterall and is the new emperor or whatever the story is. But don't have him acting 25 most of the movie then busting out quips about how he aint got it like he used to.

I'd like the story to be about new people. So it's about how you and I might go save the galaxy - if we went to see Han it might be like how you'd go see Bill Clinton or George Bush Senior or whatever to get his advice or something....but it's no longer a story about those people.

I agree 100%. I'd have no problem with Han and Luke playing integral roles just not main roles and not the action heros of the film. Also like you I'm dead set aganst Luke's character being self depricating and  "out of shape"  force wise. That would make no sense given like I said he's argueably the most powerful jedi ever. Han Solo on the other hand would work well with self depricating jokes about his age. His character could pull the self deprication thing off in spades. Han is campy and corny and COOL.  Just don't make him THE guy saving the day.

monkeychow wrote:

Also just for realism.

As they say in Die Hard - how many times can the same thing happen to the same guy?

How many times is it plausible in the whole universe that Han is the guy who saves the day? I love han...but he's had his story now...work him in because he'd still be alive and in a respected position in society...but I hope it's not his kid who saves the day.

part of the problem with the prequels was that thinking - that in a universe of persons to choose from - the same 3 familys children are pivotal over many different generations to the fate of everyone. Things like making jango fett. Not logical.

This I disgaree with. Of course the prequels focused on the same group of people/family. They were prequels and they were the story of how Vader came to be. Luke was Vader's son so.... Obi-Wan was Vader's friend, Padme is Luke and Leia's mom. The Prequels had to focus on the same family and it's only one generation. Given the high status of where all these people were on the totem pole(Queen, Jedi, Sith Lord) it makes sense they are at the forefront. It's not like they were all some random people who just so happen to find themselves in situations to save the universe.  As or the original trilogy Luke is the last jedi, Leia is a Princess of Alderan, both are Vader's kids so of course the story will focus on them.  It has to given the force is the main character of all of this and Luke being the last Jedi and Leia herself having powers.  Given their high stature in the rebellion it makes sense they'd have ahigh stature in the new films and that their kids would likely be following n their footsteps.

I'm not sure how well you know the story(that's out there) post Return of the Jedi but Han and Leia's children grow up to become Jedis and Jacen their son eventually becomes a Sith Lord.  Again it's not like we're talking about an average family. We're talking about a family  that began with the person(Anakin with the highest potential when it came to using the force and royalty(Queen Amidala). Chewbacca actually dies saving Han's children.

polluxlm wrote:

The Fett thing is kinda Die Hardish, but I feel you can get away with the others. They're not just any family, they're a family (Han's kids would still be part of the Skywalker line) where the grandfather is at the head of a dynasty. He's the right hand man in the empire. In history it's not unheard of for kids or even grand kids to be big players in those situations. On the contrary it's pretty common.

I agree. Just look at Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. as an obvious real life example. Introducing Jango Fett was such a cop out. Such an unimaginitve way to explain the origins of Boba. just another lazy effort in he prequels.

polluxlm wrote:

Luke is about the only force user left. Makes sense he'd play a part in the rebellion, makes sense he might end up having a relationship with his father as a consequence of that, makes sense he'd become a big player in the government after playing such a large part in winning the rebellion, makes sense any kids he has also could play significant parts later (themselves being apt in the force and having all the high level connections).

Yup.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I have literally NEVER seen a good Jason Statham film. I have no clue how the guy gets work. I like The Expendables films, but they aren't THAT good, and Statham is literally the LAST reason i'm there.

Anybody else ever thought Statham comes across like an EPIC douche? He seems to be so full of himself. He was in that London flick were Jessica Biel was constantly naked and getting fucked looking smoking hot, but other than that... what's his fucking deal?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

"True stories" LOL!

Lomax wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I have literally NEVER seen a good Jason Statham film. I have no clue how the guy gets work. I like The Expendables films, but they aren't THAT good, and Statham is literally the LAST reason i'm there.

Anybody else ever thought Statham comes across like an EPIC douche? He seems to be so full of himself. He was in that London flick were Jessica Biel was constantly naked and getting fucked looking smoking hot, but other than that... what's his fucking deal?

Board footer